Iron Man Helmet Done - Wanted to share with those who could appreciate it.

Malico

This is my first build ever. I had planned to do the whole suit, but I seriously under estimated the time this takes. That and being a perfectionist, I went towards top quality and really getting the fine details. First time doing pep, though having had experience with Bondo and paint work previously.

I wanted to share the work with those who enjoy the type of thing. My wife just says, "Nerd" :lol. I got to mix in my love of electronics and technology by using 3D printing for the eyes and Ardunio pro mini for controlling the eyes. The eyes "boot-up" when you close the helm over your head and I put a button in the jaw hinge to control the eye brightness.

Maybe I will get the rest of the suit done one day.

Pep and initial bondo work

IMG_2428.jpgIMG_2811.jpgIMG_2907.jpg

This is the part that ate time. Fine details, mist coat black and wet sanding to bring out the blemishes.

IMG_2922.jpgIMG_2924.jpgIMG_3047.jpgIMG_3051.jpg

Final product!

IMG_4141.jpgIMG_4142.jpgIMG_4148.jpg

Here are the eyes working

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning work
Very nice paint job, nice smooth blemish free finish, love the light in the eyes, would look nice on my shelf

Beautiful! I should finish mine...
What did you use for the Rivet/screws?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Love the finish and the dimmable eyes! I'll have to keep that in mind when I get around to making my own helmet.

One thing I've never understood though - why does everyone make the eyes flicker? To my knowledge the only time the eyes flicker like that is when the suit is running out of power and shutting down (such as the high altitude flight) or when Tony is taking an angle grinder to it in Avengers 1. We've got a lot of examples of the eyes going from off to just solid on (recovery from high altitude flight, Mk3 suit up, picking up the helmet and putting it on in the Quinjet in Avengers 1, etc), so it seems more movie accurate to just have it come on. The HUD boot up sequence isn't seen from outside the helmet, so where did this tradition come from?

Last edited:
It's just the default code that was created for the Arduino sketch file. You can modify it easuly

It's just the default code that was created for the Arduino sketch file. You can modify it easuly

I coded my own from scratch. I did it for nothing other than learning how to code it and think the flicker on looks cool. Know it is not entirely movie accurate, but neat effect.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back