Making inlay details on EVA foam

cadu1990

Hello everyone.

Im making the Yurnero mask from DOTA 2. The base helmet is already done, made from 4-5mm eva foam. Now, I need to make the details, and as you can see, it's basically recessed areas (the ones painted red).

My idea of making them, was to make a new layer using 1-2mm foam, and glue on top of the helmet face, being the white part, but I'm kind wondering if there's some way to actually engrave them on the foam, eliminating the need for a new layer. Those sanding drums from rotary tools would work perfectly if it was a round channel, but they're square.

So, anyone has any ideas?

The mask in the game
mask.jpg

What I made so far
ff1e6e1f-86be-4552-a0c3-bd3abbb857b2.jpg

you can get away from adding a new layer if you can use a rotary tool and go slow, working off a good trace on the foam. The mask seems to have some woodgrain to it...almost like it is aging and starting to split on the top layer. I have had some good results using a hand grinder (a larger version of a dremmel) and just brushing the top layer in key spots. The extra torque on the grinder makes the cuts uneven and more "natural wood" in shape. For example I used the grinder to get the worn edges on this Harley Quinn hammerHarley-Mallet.gif

Ive also heard that if you just do a straight cut with an x-acto, and follow the pattern down the middle of the design. Then hit it with a heat gun and the cut will open up. Try on scrap first to be safe.

For the recessed area, I'd say carefully use a woodburner aswell or use an engraving tip for the dremel. I've seen it used for detailed engraving in foam.

Whichever method you use, especially if you use the woodburner on the foam, you need to wear a respirator. The gases that come off the burning EVA foam are harmful.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back