Indiana Jones Whip Length 8' vs 10' Used in Which Scenes?

D3adrock

Hi, I'm just curious since I haven't been able to find definitive info anywhere and I'm almost sure someone here would know.
I know that for most of the films (at least raider) he carried a ten footer. But I also know that he used an 8 foot for several stunts (cairo scene I think). What I dont know is exactly how often he actually used an 8 foot vs 10 foot whip.
Does anyone here have a breakdown of which scenes used which?
Was the 10 footer exlusively a belt hanger or did he do stunts with it as well. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
The 10 foot was used most of the time, and he did stunts with it it was not just a “belt hanger”

I never could tell when the 8 foot was used, if at all, be interesting to see what others think or know.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the eight foot was usually the static belt version, and the ten foot was the stunt/used version (at least for Raiders.)

That would make sense..

Quite a few think an 8 foot was used in the Cairo cart scene and I change my mind all the time on that one. :lol

I have been cracking a 10 foot Morgan Whip since 1982 :thumbsup

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the eight foot was usually the static belt version, and the ten foot was the stunt/used version (at least for Raiders.)

It’s funny, but I’d always heard the exact opposite. I’ve always understood the standard ‘belt-hanging’ Whip prop to be the 10 ft. Version, and the “Streets of Cairo” scenes (where Harrison actually brandishes the Whip) to be the 8 ft. Version in particular. (That extra 2 feet coiled up adds quite a bit to the general look of the Whip when it’s hanging on his belt.) There’s a lot of good information about it on INDY GEAR. http://indygear.com/igbullwhip.html

Here’s a couple of Photos of that scene in particular, as well as a Black & White behind the scenes shot of him practicing.

8BD6A249-81F8-484B-A80E-F4ED15FC78C4.jpeg 910E8CC6-9A98-47C2-B35B-AC19098D70D2.jpeg

The whip used in the deleted sword fight scene was definitely a 10 footer of that I am sure.

On the “Cart” Scene on the reverse shot it looks like a 10 footer as well

There is, as I posted earlier I have had a David Morgan bullwhip since 1982.

I know what they look like, how they roll out, and how they crack.

Now with that being said there is the problem of how things look like in real life and on screen.

The deleted scene I referred to IS a 10 footer in the behind the scenes of it being shot the whip is extended to measure the distance between Harrison and the swordsman.

I am sure someone here can get specific shots of the whip and measurements figured out

If only there was a way to know definitevly what whip was used in what actions scenes

From what I understand it was a mix of the two lengths.

Primarily whenever the whip was coiled and attached to his belt it was the 10 foot. The reason being that it typically looks fuller when coiled because of the extra length.

For the shot where he removes it from his belt in the streets of Cairo the close up shows Harrison pulling the 10 foot from his hip. This is the same in the shot at the beginning of the film in the jungle. When they cut to the wide shots Harrison is actually cracking the 8 ft. One of the tells is that depending on the camera angle you can see that they filmed those shots with a long lens and the street isn't as wide as it appears in other shots. Likewise in the jungle scene from the beginning they are filming under a thick canopy and a shorter whip length would have been necessary to prevent it from getting caught in tree limbs. When they cut back to Indy angrily coiling the whip back up, it is again changed back to the 10 foot.

The shot where you are looking from Marion's perspective from inside the horse drawn carriage in Cairo (and you see Indy from the back cracking the whip) it's clear that the street is fairly narrow which would make it difficult for him to crack a 10 foot in such a narrow space. By using a long lens it gives the illusion that the street is bigger than it actually is. Notice how the wide the street looks when you see Indy from the front when he does his "Cairo Flash" and by contrast how narrow it looks when you see Indy from the back (from Marion's point of view.)

One scene that he is definitely cracking the 10 foot is the deleted scene between him and the swordsman. They are filming in a much wider street and Harrison has more room to move. He is even running up a few paces to antagonize the swordsman. The space is very open compared to the narrower streets in other shots.

As a general rule whenever the whip is in close up/ or being removed from the belt it is the 10 foot. Whenever the whip is being cracked/ or doing wraps/ more complex moves/ the 8 foot is used. For the wrapping and swinging scenes the 10-12 foot is used. Though when Harrison or the stunt team is actually swinging, they aren't even using whips at all. Those were special stunt wires that had braided leather over them to appear as whips, often with the wire extending out of the end of the braid several feet to be secured to whatever object they are swinging from.

I think the confusion comes in when it comes to different camera angles and lens lengths. The scene in Last Crusade comes to mind where Indy is threatening Kazim on the boat in front of the propeller. The huge prop is chewing and snapping the end of the boat and while it's long, it isn't THAT long. They just used a long lens to give the audience the perception that that giant propeller is right on top of them. The foreshortening could very well alter the audiences perception of the length of the boat. The same could have easily been done with the whip if they were filming in a confined space.

I've shot a number of cracking videos which I've posted on my YouTube channel and often depending on the angle my 8 foots can appear to be 10 foots. It's not uncommon that when filming certain props show as being larger or smaller than they appear on screen. I was floored by how tiny the Chinese theater actually was when I saw it in person in Los Angeles. On TV and in the movies it looks massive but in person it's kind of dinky in size. Same goes for props. Often I am shocked to see how large certain pieces are because the camera needs to pick up the details so they tend to build these things big to make them more visible. You have to also consider that when Raiders was shot the cameras of the time didn't have the same macro focus that most modern cameras have which means it would be harder for them to focus on smaller details the way our modern cameras can.

I think the 8 foot was the predominant whip being cracked in the wide shots (with some exceptions like wraps for that happened moments before a swinging shot - or the aforementioned deleted scene.) I think the reasoning was mostly considerations for space. When you film in a narrow street the physical limitations are going to force you to use a shorter whip.

Notice the shot where Indy does a wrist wrap on the Thuggee guard in Temple of Doom to take the sword from his hand. You can see Harrison's face pretty clearly which to my mind would indicate that he's not standing that far from him, but when they cut to a wider angle when Indy runs after the guard screaming and he runs away as the army of Thungee chase after him, you can see that he is actually carrying his 10 foot because it drags behind him pretty far as he runs out of the frame.

Last edited:
From what I understand it was a mix of the two lengths.

Primarily whenever the whip was coiled and attached to his belt it was the 10 foot. The reason being that it typically looks fuller when coiled because of the extra length.

For the shot where he removes it from his belt in the streets of Cairo the close up shows Harrison pulling the 10 foot from his hip. This is the same in the shot at the beginning of the film in the jungle. When they cut to the wide shots Harrison is actually cracking the 8 ft. One of the tells is that depending on the camera angle you can see that they filmed those shots with a long lens and the street isn't as wide as it appears in other shots. Likewise in the jungle scene from the beginning they are filming under a thick canopy and a shorter whip length would have been necessary to prevent it from getting caught in tree limbs. When they cut back to Indy angrily coiling the whip back up, it is again changed back to the 10 foot.

The shot where you are looking from Marion's perspective from inside the horse drawn carriage in Cairo (and you see Indy from the back cracking the whip) it's clear that the street is fairly narrow which would make it difficult for him to crack a 10 foot in such a narrow space. By using a long lens it gives the illusion that the street is bigger than it actually is. Notice how the wide the street looks when you see Indy from the front when he does his "Cairo Flash" and by contrast how narrow it looks when you see Indy from the back (from Marion's point of view.)

One scene that he is definitely cracking the 10 foot is the deleted scene between him and the swordsman. They are filming in a much wider street and Harrison has more room to move. He is even running up a few paces to antagonize the swordsman. The space is very open compared to the narrower streets in other shots.

As a general rule whenever the whip is in close up/ or being removed from the belt it is the 10 foot. Whenever the whip is being cracked/ or doing wraps/ more complex moves/ the 8 foot is used. For the wrapping and swinging scenes the 10-12 foot is used. Though when Harrison or the stunt team is actually swinging, they aren't even using whips at all. Those were special stunt wires that had braided leather over them to appear as whips, often with the wire extending out of the end of the braid several feet to be secured to whatever object they are swinging from.

I think the confusion comes in when it comes to different camera angles and lens lengths. The scene in Last Crusade comes to mind where Indy is threatening Kazim on the boat in front of the propeller. The huge prop is chewing and snapping the end of the boat and while it's long, it isn't THAT long. They just used a long lens to give the audience the perception that that giant propeller is right on top of them. The foreshortening could very well alter the audiences perception of the length of the boat. The same could have easily been done with the whip if they were filming in a confined space.

I've shot a number of cracking videos which I've posted on my YouTube channel and often depending on the angle my 8 foots can appear to be 10 foots. It's not uncommon that when filming certain props show as being larger or smaller than they appear on screen. I was floored by how tiny the Chinese theater actually was when I saw it in person in Los Angeles. On TV and in the movies it looks massive but in person it's kind of dinky in size. Same goes for props. Often I am shocked to see how large certain pieces are because the camera needs to pick up the details so they tend to build these things big to make them more visible. You have to also consider that when Raiders was shot the cameras of the time didn't have the same macro focus that most modern cameras have which means it would be harder for them to focus on smaller details the way our modern cameras can.

I think the 8 foot was the predominant whip being cracked in the wide shots (with some exceptions like wraps for that happened moments before a swinging shot - or the aforementioned deleted scene.) I think the reasoning was mostly considerations for space. When you film in a narrow street the physical limitations are going to force you to use a shorter whip.

Notice the shot where Indy does a wrist wrap on the Thuggee guard in Temple of Doom to take the sword from his hand. You can see Harrison's face pretty clearly which to my mind would indicate that he's not standing that far from him, but when they cut to a wider angle when Indy runs after the guard screaming and he runs away as the army of Thungee chase after him, you can see that he is actually carrying his 10 foot because it drags behind him pretty far as he runs out of the frame.

I know that is a lot of people's preference. It's a happy medium between the two lengths. I prefer the 10 foot or the 8 foot myself.

YES, I think we are very lucky to have been born in to a life where we can make and enjoy our hobby..some are not so lucky and I thank my stars every day..I'm not a super noodler, I just enjoy stuff like when I was a kid ..I always thought that RAIDERS was the only real Indie film, then I saw that Adam Savage had the same view..my fave movie is Sierra Madre that's fitting as Indie was based on Dobbs in that movie ..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back