Halloween (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Halloween?

• Total voters
I think the one thing they missed the most is having Michael stalk people first. We didnt get a single shot of Michael following or watching someone unless it was directly before he kills them. No more Michael hiding behind the bushes watching, or popping up across the street watching someone way before even getting close, it was just there he is, kill, gone. It made the pace feel a lot different than the first film, and really cut down on the spooky feeling of the original.

Yeah there was no suspense and definitely no atmosphere in this one......

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but having a really "humanized" Michael was a detriment to how scary he was. The genuinely scary moments for me were the two moments after he gets his outfit and he wanders into those peoples' homes. The camera follows and then just watches him just go after people that had nothing to do with anything related to him other than he saw something he needed. That, I found were the scariest moments.

But like I said earlier, the movie was constantly close, on, or with him and rarely (to its fault) ever showed him in the distance briefly before disappearing, stalking. It's that inexplicable hunting ability that he has that makes him creepy, I think. It's not like a beastly, predatory behavior, like an animal, it's more like his namesake implies, "The Shape," that it's inhuman and alien. There's never a reason why he just picks a person and decides they're the one he's going to follow, they tried to add it in the other sequels and it never worked. He, like Carpenter has said since 1978, is just a force of nature in "the shape" of a man.

The movie was, to me, legitimately scary. Michael was BRUTAL in it. My only problems were 1) Michael killing a 11-12 year old kid, and 2) the kills were a little too gory for my liking. In particular the jack-o-lantern with the flashlight. Didn't care for that.

Otherwise, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The last shot of him on the stairs was pretty unnerving. It's hard not to be too happy after the last couple Halloween movies we got. This was leaps and bounds an improvement.

I sort of liked the fact that he killed an actual kid... makes him that much scarier. I was even half expecting him to kill the infant.
Looking back at the original film, at the end of the film... Tommy and Lindsey were in just as much danger as Laurie was.

As for a sequel.... I'm thinking either Michael will have escaped the burning inferno, or maybe his grand daughter will go bonkers and do the killing next time around.

For me there was just no suspense or foreboding in it.

It was as if they were checking off the numbers on the list.

In the original you could almost feel fall in the air with the leaves blowing and the twilight scene that was shot, this felt like anytown, any where, anytime.

There were no scenes like the classic ones John shot of Michael lurking, or stalking.

This just did’nt cut it with me I was pretty bored

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but having a really "humanized" Michael was a detriment to how scary he was. The genuinely scary moments for me were the two moments after he gets his outfit and he wanders into those peoples' homes. The camera follows and then just watches him just go after people that had nothing to do with anything related to him other than he saw something he needed. That, I found were the scariest moments.

But like I said earlier, the movie was constantly close, on, or with him and rarely (to its fault) ever showed him in the distance briefly before disappearing, stalking. It's that inexplicable hunting ability that he has that makes him creepy, I think. It's not like a beastly, predatory behavior, like an animal, it's more like his namesake implies, "The Shape," that it's inhuman and alien. There's never a reason why he just picks a person and decides they're the one he's going to follow, they tried to add it in the other sequels and it never worked. He, like Carpenter has said since 1978, is just a force of nature in "the shape" of a man.

As for a sequel.... I'm thinking either Michael will have escaped the burning inferno, or maybe his grand daughter will go bonkers and do the killing next time around.

They aren't related in this one. I am wondering how in the world he survived because, let's face it, it isn't dead. :lol If they go the route of her being the killer now...sigh.

They aren't related in this one. I am wondering how in the world he survived because, let's face it, it isn't dead. :lol If they go the route of her being the killer now...sigh.

Some said online that it's obvious how.... since they shot a hole in the floor, he could easily get out through the hole.

uh?:confused

To which I just say.... "what the actual frak?"
1st, how would he get up to the hole?
2nd, how in the hell would he be able to fit through the small hole?

:lol

I had never watched the original and was thinking of seeing this. So I watched the original and decided to give this a pass. Maybe the original was scary when it first came out, but seeing it for the first time now in 2018 as an adult I found it laughable and I did laugh. After that and reading some of the opinions of the new film in this thread, I'll be skipping this one.

I was wondering why her entire arsenal consisted of "cowboy" guns . Every gun in the movie is tippy top of the line technology if its 1900 .

Sure enough she confirmed what I figured in an NPR interview . it was a conscious decision . which of course we can't discuss here anymore because we're all reverting to and/or being treated like children .

I was wondering why her entire arsenal consisted of "cowboy" guns . Every gun in the movie is tippy top of the line technology if its 1900 .

Sure enough she confirmed what I figured in an NPR interview . it was a conscious decision . which of course we can't discuss here anymore because we're all reverting to and/or being treated like children .

She handed off a Smith & Wesson Model 66 and said something about revolvers don't jam. In the same scene she grabs her Mossberg 500 and said its tactical. In fact out of her entire arsenal I can see one 1900 "cowboy" gun and thats the model 1873. I see the Model 1873, three modern shotguns (Mossberg, Remmington 870), three bolt action rifles, a double barrel shotgun and a crossbow. I'd would say that she had a pretty modern arsenal.

Halloween_314.jpg

She handed off a Smith & Wesson Model 66 and said
something about revolvers don't jam. In the same scene she grabs her Mossberg 500 and said its tactical. In fact out of her entire arsenal I can see one 1900 "cowboy" gun and thats the model 1873. I see the Model 1873, three modern shotguns (Mossberg, Remmington 870), three bolt action rifles, a double barrel shotgun and a crossbow. I'd would say that she had a pretty modern arsenal.

View attachment 850536

I understand the guns were actually manufactured in modern times .

But the technology for every gun existed pre 1900 nothing as UN- PC and modern as a semi - automatic 1911 and of course nothing in an SKS , AK or AR style which she talks about being a choice To show they are not needed !
The "cowboy" gun is her quote !

Just for a goof what if she bought say 50 Ruger security 9 in bulk she could get a hell of a discount !
Then just have them placed everywhere around the house . Hire John Woo to direct ! And try to break Chow-yun-Fat's record for most bullets fired in a movie !

How many bullets can Michael take to the face ?

All of Em ?

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday. I thought it was okay, enjoyable, but kind of inconsistent and not focused enough.
I freaking love the original, nothing touches it, been in love with it since the age of 14. I sort of liked H20, at least bits of it, have a strange attraction to H6: Curse despite the total clusterf* that movie was. The rest of the sequels I disliked to various degrees (especially H2 and Resurrection). Saw the first RZ remake, didn't care for seeing the sequel. So the only Halloween movie I own is the first, and still thinking if it's gonna stay like that. It's been said before, there really is not much story to tell after H1, it's a super-simple premise and story, but to quote the great David Lo Pan, "like fools we keep trying".
The things I liked:

- The music. Brilliant.
- Jamie is always great, I love her, she's a great actress with incredible presence and a fantastic voice (Carrie Fisher had the similar kind of voice before ROTJ when her lifestyle started to take a toll on it)
- The premise was great. There IS actually a story to be told here on how people try to put their lives together after the events of the first one.
- Mask looked great, Shape looked and moved great
- I liked the role-reversal, things like that usually make my eyes roll but I think they pulled it off well
- Most probably head and shoulders above the rest of the Halloween sequels, although the bar is pretty low. Have to rewatch H20 as I haven't seen it for 15 years, but I think I liked this one better. Not sure which version of adult Laure I prefer.
- I gave money to John Carpenter

The things I didn't like:
- Some of the dialogue was horrendous
- Karen was really annoying, both the lines she said and the delivery
- Instead of murdering a few random throwaway people who I really didn't care about (hammer lady, other lady and to a degree Allison's friends) that time could have been used to build more tension. For most of the film I didn't feel tense, chilled or scared except when Laurie was sweeping the house in the end. H20 had some better chilling scenes.
- The twist with the doctor was so painfully obvious that it actually hurt when it happened. Seriously, 3 frames of that bloke on screen and I knew what's gonna happen. I wish this "compulsory twist" trend would stop, that was one of the things I really appreciated in Ready Player One, there was no sudden traitor, surprise twist that anyone could see a mile away.
- The focus was a bit on and off. I wish the movie stayed on Amanda, because most of her friends' demise and her heartache, etc kinda fizzled out without any profound effect on me.
- One of the best turns was the trapping of Michael in the basement, loved it. Then turns out the entire house was rigged to be burned to smithereens...? I get paranoia but that's massive overkill, they could have shot Michael in the face like 40 times while he was downstairs. I really liked that fireplace and the living room, shame about it.

So all in all, it was okay, I think it could have been made better in the hands of a different director and a bit tighter and revised script, but it could have been much much worse.

Some said online that it's obvious how.... since they shot a hole in the floor, he could easily get out through the hole.

uh?:confused

To which I just say.... "what the actual frak?"
1st, how would he get up to the hole?
2nd, how in the hell would he be able to fit through the small hole?

:lol
Mimetic poly-alloy.

I believe the entire house was rigged to burn for the same reason every room had its own cage door. She made every room a potential trap for Michael, not knowing which room she may be able to trap him in. It just happened to be the basement. It could have been any of the other rooms. So every room had to have its own burning mechanism.

Although I enjoyed the movie, there are things in it which could feature in the ‘things your tired of seeing in movies’ thread. Case to point: incidents not generating consequence. The bus crash resulted in at least four murders and a missing psycho killer on the loose, but the cops aren’t bothered and it doesn’t get a mention on the news. Later there is the quadruple killing at the garage, by the same killer and the cops attitude is to ignore it again. No major manhunt, other than an old cop crusising alone around the streets, no news alert, everyone out enjoying Halloween on the street. Real world would have seen a major manhunt with everybody alerted.
Also, for someone who had spent her life prepping for this night, JLC seemed so unprepared when hunting Michael in the house. I expected her to turn into a sarah connors but she seemed to have no plan as she used her shotgun to announce her presence into every room in a scared fashion.

"In June 2018, McBride confirmed that he and Green had originally intended to pitch two films that would be shot back-to-back, and then decided against it, waiting to see the reaction to the first film: "We were going to shoot two of them back-to-back. Then we were like, 'Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This could come out, and everyone could hate us, and we'd never work again. So, let's not have to sit around for a year while we wait for another movie to come out that we know people aren't going to like.' So, we were like, 'Let's learn from this, and see what works, and what doesn't.' But we definitely have an idea of where we would go [with] this branch of the story and hopefully we get a chance to do it."

In a September 2018 interview with Forbes, producer Jason Blum said that "we will do a sequel if the movie performs." In October 2018, shortly after the film's opening weekend, McBride confirmed that early development on a sequel had begun."

"please dont suck, please dont suck, PLZ DONT SUCK" :p :p
A possible release for next year....

Call me optimistic

Although I enjoyed the movie, there are things in it which could feature in the ‘things your tired of seeing in movies’ thread. Case to point: incidents not generating consequence. The bus crash resulted in at least four murders and a missing psycho killer on the loose, but the cops aren’t bothered and it doesn’t get a mention on the news. Later there is the quadruple killing at the garage, by the same killer and the cops attitude is to ignore it again. No major manhunt, other than an old cop crusising alone around the streets, no news alert, everyone out enjoying Halloween on the street. Real world would have seen a major manhunt with everybody alerted.
Also, for someone who had spent her life prepping for this night, JLC seemed so unprepared when hunting Michael in the house. I expected her to turn into a sarah connors but she seemed to have no plan as she used her shotgun to announce her presence into every room in a scared fashion.
Thats the thing though, her life was ruined and she was scarred from their first encounter, and she pretty much dedicated her life to killing this guy, so of course she was terrified when she actually came in contact with him. Also, we dont know how big the town was, if it was a small town with only a sherrif, they might not have the resources.

Couple beefs: How did the bus crash anyway? I know the doctor said something but I couldnt hear cause I had to tell some idiots to shut up.
The doctor putting on Michaels mask, and heaving his giant body into the cop car. Dude was old, tiny, and had been shot, kind of irked me.
The granddaughter calling JLC "grandmother" constantly. The formality was dumb.
The granddaughter running and finding the shooting range manequins and randomly screaming. *eye roll*

What I loved: Use of practical effects, squibs, and fake blood
The music was killer.
I enjoyed the bits of humor, espeically when the kid sees the motorcycle for the first time
I liked the pacing, dialogue, pretty much everything. Thought it was solid. Very good slasher movie.

Watched it again tonight. I didn't like it much more, but it didn't diminish so I guess it's okay.
The thing that I was thinking after seeing it for the second time is that it would have been really interesting to see that Michael really doesn't give a crap about Laurie. All the other sequels were driven by Michael wanting to kill Laurie/daughter. In this movie he just wanders around, kills random people at his own leisure and pleasure, doesn't seek her out at all...instead of the stupid twist with the doctor it would have been a really interesting turn to see that Laurie spent her entire life prepping for Michael's return and then it just turns out that there was no connection, no special purpose or desire, she was simply picked at random back in 78 and Michael might not even remember her. Done in a way that would not have taken a climactic ending away, just would have put it in a different light could have been really neat methinks.

Couple beefs: How did the bus crash anyway? I know the doctor said something but I couldnt hear cause I had to tell some idiots to shut up.

This seems to be a running theme, literally had to do the same today. If I remember well it was Michael who actually attacked the guards and made the bus crash.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back