Halloween (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Halloween?

• Total voters
Just got back, it was ok, had some serious wtf moments though.

I think a lot of people will enjoy it.

One things for sure the original can’t be beat Carpenters the man!

Got back from showing (and a late dinner) and I liked it. It really takes things back to basics. I remember when H2O came out and everyone said it was Halloween back to its roots; well, this movie is back to formula. It's pat for pat the original movie, just with a bit of a role reversal (which I liked).

I only have 2 gripes with this. First, the humor, while it works, eventually undercut the scares that are about to happen. Maybe it's just me, but I felt after a certain point, it wasn't going for scares any more and was just having fun. As an aside, McBride really has his hand deep in this and I'm positive he's responsible for 80 percent of the dialogue; it all has his cadence.

The other gripe I had was that they did what I really was hoping they wouldn't: the film kind of diminishes Myers' power and presence. He's less "The Shape" and more "Michael," if that makes sense. The film follows him a bit too much and everyone is taking his mask off or touching him. They never show his face and it's always blurred or obscured, but it's too much to the point where it makes him feel human and less phantom-esque. He's like Bruce in Jaws, he works best in the distance and in small glimpses, often appearing and disappearing in frame. People en masse approaching him and touching him takes away his mystique.

It's not a gripe but I was trying to find throughout the movie where Nick Castle popped in, and I think it may be when he gets the mask, but I can't be sure. I'm a bit bummed that it wasn't him for much of it but it's nothing that takes away from the film.

Overall, fun film, probably the best of the sequels to have come out (though I think 4 and 5 are genuinely good, solid entries). I'll be adding this to my collection when it comes to video. And like Apollo said, nothing beats the first but this is a worthy companion film to go with it.

Last edited:
Wife and I saw it last night and loved it! By far the best since the original film. Will see it a few more times in the theater for sure!

It's not a gripe but I was trying to find throughout the movie where Nick Castle popped in, and I think it may be when he gets the mask, but I can't be sure. I'm a bit bummed that it wasn't him for much of it but it's nothing that takes away from the film.

I think Nick confirmed it was him in the window that Laurie shot.

If I saw this without seeing the previous film(s) am I missing out?

I saw a chunk of the original last year, and was not really into it.

But I've been hearing SO much good on this new one.

If I saw this without seeing the previous film(s) am I missing out?

I saw a chunk of the original last year, and was not really into it.

But I've been hearing SO much good on this new one.

I think there's enough here for someone who's not interested in the original movie to like. There's enough character stuff to keep it from being completely uninteresting. However, it does bank heavy on the original film. I will say that I really hate this trend of "Where's Waldo?" in movies now where if you don't get the references, you're liable to not have a good time or "fully appreciate the film."

- - - Updated - - -

I think Nick confirmed it was him in the window that Laurie shot.

Well, that is a pity because promotion hyped it up as "We got THE guy who played Michael back!" and that shot is only a few seconds long.

I think there's enough here for someone who's not interested in the original movie to like. There's enough character stuff to keep it from being completely uninteresting. However, it does bank heavy on the original film. I will say that I really hate this trend of "Where's Waldo?" in movies now where if you don't get the references, you're liable to not have a good time or "fully appreciate the film."

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that is a pity because promotion hyped it up as "We got THE guy who played Michael back!" and that shot is only a few seconds long.

Okay! Good to know!

I downloaded the original Halloween for tonight, and then will watch with RLM commentary... between the two I should have a crash course for the new one.

Thanks!

Seen it, didn't like it. But the mask is awesome IMG_20181017_201041.jpg

Well after sleeping on it I have to say that first and foremost, as someone who was there for the orginal on opening night, there is really no need for a continuation or “Sequel”.

As “Palps” posted this just diminishes the Michael Meyers character into a human serial killer, which to me is not what the original intended.

Wtf was up with the Doctor I mean really that was just cringe worthy.

I see they went back and had to re-shoot the ending after the test audience drubbed it, and it STILL was ho-hum and a let down

I had to put in the original last night after viewing this just to cleanse the palette so to say.

For me there in no 2, 3 , H20 etc, only the original.

I enjoyed watching Carpenter try and playing the Halloween theme on some Nintendo gadget more than I did this installment, but that’s just me and I am sure a lot will enjoy this for what it is.

Saw the original earlier this evening, right after I went to the movie complex and saw this and I have to say, wow. I was certain it would be... not that good. But I really enjoyed it. It was great.

Sort of want another one but meh. Wouldn't be any good, most likely... :unsure

I carved pumpkins with some friends and watched the original before we went to see this. I really enjoyed it! I’ll agree that it did humanize Michael and he was less “boogeyman” but still it was good. Definitely better than the Rob Zombie versions.

I stayed to see if there was an end credit scene but as the last credits rolled you just heard Michael breathing under his mask. I hope that doesn’t mean a sequel. But they were showing the knife in the granddaughter’s hand at the end. Was that a “ooo she might lose it and become the new shape?”

If this does well of course there will be a sequel and why not? :rolleyes. :lol

Money is king after all, they just have to decide how they will proceed.

As to whether the grand daughter will become the new shape, I thought the same thing they may just go down that road.

Al though I don’t think he was killed.

You never see him flailing around on fire so in my mind he is still out there and the grand daughter will now carry the torch, er , knife, that her grand mother did.

Michael will have a new nemesis

I carved pumpkins with some friends and watched the original before we went to see this. I really enjoyed it! I’ll agree that it did humanize Michael and he was less “boogeyman” but still it was good. Definitely better than the Rob Zombie versions.

I stayed to see if there was an end credit scene but as the last credits rolled you just heard Michael breathing under his mask. I hope that doesn’t mean a sequel. But they were showing the knife in the granddaughter’s hand at the end. Was that a “ooo she might lose it and become the new shape?”

I saw it last night, I liked it a lot. I actually liked that they made him vulnerable to injury and less like the other sequels. I think it was an excellent follow up to the original.

I think the one thing they missed the most is having Michael stalk people first. We didnt get a single shot of Michael following or watching someone unless it was directly before he kills them. No more Michael hiding behind the bushes watching, or popping up across the street watching someone way before even getting close, it was just there he is, kill, gone. It made the pace feel a lot different than the first film, and really cut down on the spooky feeling of the original.

The movie was, to me, legitimately scary. Michael was BRUTAL in it. My only problems were 1) Michael killing a 11-12 year old kid, and 2) the kills were a little too gory for my liking. In particular the jack-o-lantern with the flashlight. Didn't care for that.

Otherwise, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. The last shot of him on the stairs was pretty unnerving. It's hard not to be too happy after the last couple Halloween movies we got. This was leaps and bounds an improvement.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back