Creality Ender 3 - Fun with Printing

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I pulled the plug and ordered my first 3D printer. Cant believe I waiting THIS long. My Creality Ender 3 is on the way and Ive watched quite a few you tube vids on its set up. I read all kinds of things on the best tweaks and upgrades and I thought I would see if anyone here has some advice and what basic functional upgrade should be done before turning on the power. No need to list the fun upgrades like tool holders. :)

I really want to know what you all have done to the print platform and any thing else crucial.

Thank you !

Last edited:
Are you at all familiar with 3D printers and have you actually seen them function?

I think before you make any changes to the printer, assemble it as per the instruction and run a few prints as it was originally
intended to get the "feel" for how it performs.
Get familiar with your slicer settings and nozzle temperatures as well as leveling the bed surface for the correct distance from the nozzle
across the whole print area.
I think the best filament to start with would be PLA. It usually comes with a sample roll of it to get you started.

Last edited:
Are you at all familiar with 3D printers and have you actually seen them function?

I think before you make any changes to the printer, assemble it as per the instruction and run a few prints as it was originally
intended to get the "feel" for how it performs.
Get familiar with your slicer settings and nozzle temperatures as well as leveling the bed surface for the correct distance from the nozzle
across the whole print area.
I think the best filament to start with would be PLA. It usually comes with a sample roll of it to get you started.

Thats a yes and a yes and Ive run them. Ive just never owned my own.

Ive read that there are a few know issues and thats why I started the thread. Do you own an Ender 3?

I currently play on the basic (out of the box), run of the mill, unmodified Creality CR10S.

By the way, what are the known issues you have read about with the Creality Ender 3?

Thats a yes and a yes and Ive run them. Ive just never owned my own.

Ive read that there are a few know issues and thats why I started the thread. Do you own an Ender 3?

You mentioned in one of your posts that you read that there are are a few known issues with the E3.
I have a different model Creality brand printer and I think it has many of the features and uses the same basic components as the E3.

It has been operating flawlessly for many, many print hours right out of the box (no mods) with no issues with it's function or set up.

Can you list the known issues with the E3 that you read about?

I've been running my E3 for the past few months pretty much stock.
I have one of the early ones with the fixed builtak surface. Like most, the bed has a slight dip in the centre.
I fixed it with a printed "jack wedge" from thingiverse, but a glass bed is probably the easiest fix if you have the issue.
The clips that hold the PTFE tube are cheap and fail easily so it's worth replacing them. They are cheap too
The only other fix I did was to print a new cooling fan cowl to replace the stock one and allow cooling on both sides.

If you want to do further research I hightly suggest you join the facebook group - very helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ender3/

This guy has some good videos on the Ender 3:

Teaching Tech

and this is a good one to start you off:

They are fantstic printers and amazing value for the price.
You're going to love it.
Happy printing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks NS4. I built mine last night and dialed in the settings. Got a decent first print. I have replacement PTFE clips on the way and a tube while I was at it. The included one looks a bit ragged on the ends. Thanks for the FB link.

I use Cura. First print. Wuff!
5268E31A-DFE5-4D76-A004-89FD53F1A3B7.jpeg307C9C9B-CADF-49CA-9CD7-65FEEC830DC7.jpegBA40354C-3CD6-4B1A-BD3C-CFD98E19FF31.jpegAA4F7BF5-3115-415F-98D1-D00098AFECB9.jpeg

Ender 3 second print 11-25-18.jpg

https://www.therpf.com/forums/attachments/ender-3-second-print-11-25-18-jpg.943957/

I ran the same gcode file on the E3 as I've run on my CR10-S, and with my setup
the prints come out virtually identical. Now I feel fairly confident I can print half my
total printing jobs (on each printer) to get the work done twice a fast.
Running two 5 hour prints (one after another) would take 10 hours out of my day.
Now I can run two 5 hour prints at the same time, and only take 5 hours out of my day.
(a third printer?).

I currently play on the basic (out of the box), run of the mill, unmodified Creality CR10S.

Propmaster, how do you like that Model? I have a Robo R1+ but I was considering one of those because of the taller build volume. Is it worth it?

Since I am by know means an expert or at all familiar with other printers (my first was the CR-10S), I can
only say I have not been disappointed in this printer with the ease of set up and use.
I am glad this was my first printer so I could see how 3D printing works.
Any issues that have occurred during a print cycle has been user error, but I figure it was a learning curve as well.
Once I got it "dialed in" mechanically and with good number settings, it has been very predictable in it's outcome.

For what I use it for it has been very reliable with no changes to the firmware or adding any modifications
and so called upgrades.
I did however print the four adjustment knobs to see how well the printer was set up.
So far, I have not used the height of the print volume much past half way, but at least I have it when I do.
I am still relatively new to 3D printing and have only used PLA (it works best for me and my budget) and temperature
as never been a problem to this point with completed prints (even though I guess it could be in a hot car interior over 110 F).

I liked the Creality brand printer so much I thought I would get the ENDER 3.
It works just as well and is my "go to" printer on small detail items.

If you get a CR-10 or the E3, I don't think you will be disappointed if it is properly set-up, squared up and tight.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back