Hide seam between paper mask and head

astranime

Heyo!
I wanted to make something for Halloween so I'm trying with an Asari =P
Soooo, made a paper head "prosthetic" and I'm planning on painting it the same color of the makeup...
Thing is, I'm still not sure how can I hide that seam between my head and the paper mask
A headband might help but it wouldn't cover the whole thing.
Any idea/advice?
webcam-toy-foto5.jpgwebcam-toy-foto6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there... blending paper to skin would be a challenge even if the paper conformed to your face... The best I could recommend is using a bit of artistic license and going with the Twi'lek method... like the head band you mentioned, but something that drops down the sides of your face, like Oola the dancer from return of the Jedi... If you attach the paper part to the headdress part, then you have a way of securing it without gluing it down...
Oola2.jpg

Use liquid latex. If you have a foam mannequin head (They're about $4 at the craft store), you can put the headpiece on it. Cover the foam head with plastic wrap first so there's something for the latex to adhere too. You're going to want to use an applicator sponge and start dabbing along the hairline. If you need strength to build up, use some cheap toilet paper and add thin little pieces to give durability to the edges. You're going to want to give yourself at least an in 1" to 1 1/2" of latex edge.

*Note: You're going to have to do this in layers and if you want to speed up the process use a hair dryer with the 'Cool' setting on. Heat will melt your foam head.

Once you've got enough latex edge on the paper all you have to do is adhere it to your head. I prefer and will always use Pros-Aide. It's a medical grade adhesive. If you're familiar with how rubber cement bonding works, it's the same thing. Both ends need to be completely clear before adhering. If not, body sweat will reactivate the material. Once it's on your face and secured you can touch up the seamlines by dabbing more latex on the seam to be smooth.

*Note make sure to keep your hair in a stocking cap. If you have facial hair, you're going to have to shave it a bit because Pros-Aide and Latex is not fun on facial hair lol. Only use vaseline around your hairline. If you get it near where you're trying to adhere it on your face, it won't bond. Hope that helps!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back