Studio Scale Slave I (first pics of body casting page 31)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Studio Scale Slave I

I thought this thread was about building a SS Slave1
What a disappointment.

Not really, when you want to know how it's to be produced and if it can be moved to the market sooner...AND if the product will be all the better for it.

The disappointment would be if you never saw one at all because it couldn't arrive on the market in a timely fashion nor be as accurate as it can be.

I thought this thread was about building a SS Slave1
What a disappointment.

Once again, I apologize for straying a bit off topic when I did.

In fact it is still refering to the Slave build. The topic is now dealing with it's creation of it's hull shape by 3D printing and the benefits of cost and accuracy from doing it that way.

After that is done, then all the kit bashed parts and detail will be added. ;)

I am glad that rel is doing this... so as to make this kit the most accurate to the ILM model. Can someone tell everyone what the process is....of 3d printing?

Last edited:

I think the bottom line is do you end up with what you've always wanted? I'm cutting corners left and right on my latest project and I don't think I could do it with out some CAD and CNC work. In the end a lot of it will be hand made but some things just can't be done by hand.

Lee

I am glad that rel is doing this... so as to make this kit the most accurate to the ILM model. Can someone tell everyone what the process is....of 3d printing?

the 3d printing is a "printer like machine" that actually "prints" thin sheets of resin. it has a "z" axis so that it can go up the thickness of the last layer and "print" the next. It can literally print a 3D shape. I beleive the process is called steroLithography.

here's the wiki link to it... pretty cool stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography

Jedi Dade

the 3d printing is a "printer like machine" that actually "prints" thin sheets of resin. it has a "z" axis so that it can go up the thickness of the last layer and "print" the next. It can literally print a 3D shape. I beleive the process is called steroLithography.

here's the wiki link to it... pretty cool stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereolithography

Jedi Dade
I have to make a correction here.
Stereolithography and 3D printing are completely different processes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing
Since I own one these machines I think I'm qualified to explain the process.
I can say it doesn't print a sheet of resin. It uses a binder to print a slice of an object in a layer of powder. Then the powder drops and the machine adds another layer of powder and so on. (You have to add the resin later).
One thing the 3Dprinters offer over SLA machines is cost. Printers start at half the cost of SLA machines, plus the software is brainless to use.
But all of the tools in the world are useless, without the talent to make the parts usable.

So we have complaints that this topic is off topic, yes it is, but since we are using this process to make the hull of the S1. We figure you guys might want to know how it's being made. In that regard it's on topic. We have been talking about this in the Star Trek threads, but we know SW guys have no interest in ST, even though the same model makers made both.

... but we know SW guys have no interest in ST, even though the same model makers made both.

For the record - Although I am a little more of a "SW guy" I collect both. :) Don't be stereotyping us :lol

I have purchased both Trek and SW ships from REL . It is his quality and the larger size models that appeal to me far more then any aspect of the "how it's made" part.

Thanks for the info about the process, Atemylunch. I did not know any of that and will have to look into it further now that my curiosity is peaked:thumbsup.

I have to make a correction here.
Stereolithography and 3D printing are completely different processes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_printing
Since I own one these machines I think I'm qualified to explain the process.
I can say it doesn't print a sheet of resin. It uses a binder to print a slice of an object in a layer of powder. Then the powder drops and the machine adds another layer of powder and so on. (You have to add the resin later).
One thing the 3Dprinters offer over SLA machines is cost. Printers start at half the cost of SLA machines, plus the software is brainless to use.
But all of the tools in the world are useless, without the talent to make the parts usable.

So we have complaints that this topic is off topic, yes it is, but since we are using this process to make the hull of the S1. We figure you guys might want to know how it's being made. In that regard it's on topic. We have been talking about this in the Star Trek threads, but we know SW guys have no interest in ST, even though the same model makers made both.

Sorry I thought that they were basically similar tech. Can you PM me with a reference to the type of 3d printer you use and an idea of what the supplies run - just to not clutter this thread with more "tech" talk. I looked into SLA and found them too expensive - if this is more affordable I may have a new tool in my shop soon ;)

Thanks,
Jedi Dade

Hi rel with your new job....Congrats...Are you going to finish this project.....I hope so

thanks
mark

I'm going to finish all the projects I started before I move. The Slave is already being built so it'll be finished.

My part of it will be finished by the end of the year, the main body. The wings and undercarriage parts are being made right now and will be cast by Mike Salzo.

Update.

slave_body_01.jpg

slave_body_02.jpg

slave_body_03.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back