Studio Scale Slave I (first pics of body casting page 31)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Studio Scale Slave I

I was referring to the fact he's got a few... I've been drooling over the "D" pics for quite a while ;) I just wish I had a place to display that model...

Jedi Dade

Rodger that Jedi......He does have a lot of things going on. I am a big fan of REL's work and am planning on getting the D as my first purchase.

I have to say that I am really looking forward to this one.
As much as I love your Trek ships REL (and some day I will finish my Ent. E :rolleyes) Star Wars is my real love, so this one is very high on my list.

This project will be back on track by the end of this year. The body will be 3D printed then detailed, molded and cast in fiberglass.

On a more personal note: There's been a few pot shots about this technology on the board lately, namely the F & M X Wing thread, but truthfully I don't know where they're coming from, it's not a matter of not being able to hand build these things, because I can.

It's a matter of speed, less cost in the long run because it saves time and labor. Next year will be a a big one as far as kits go because we'll hopefully be investing in larger and faster machines so I can do subjects from many venues other than just Star Trek.

Glad to hear.
I for one think it sounds great.:)
Heck I would be hard pressed to argue against something that cuts cost and increases production on something I love to buy as often as I can. I know the quality is there with your creations, REL regardless so I say let 'er rip.:thumbsup

Agreed! I don't think there's a question from us who've been around here for a bit that you would have NO problem doing it by hand. I for one would rather see exactly what KnightAsylum mentioned. Increased production is a good thing!

Now about that large scale Klingon BoP.... :D

Amen on improved production times. I just can't see any negatives with that notion. :)

Dave

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

We ALL know that Richard can hand craft ANYTHING anyway! ;) It is a great thing when a hobby can forward itself in accuracy, quality, speed, and cost!

Plus, there will always be a market for the ALL hand crafted items. Richard still doesn this stuff for me and others as well!

However, the main BIG SUCCESS will go to the folks who change with the times.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!

We ALL know that Richard can hand craft ANYTHING anyway! ;) It is a great thing when a hobby can forward itself in accuracy, quality, speed, and cost!

Plus, there will always be a market for the ALL hand crafted items. Richard still doesn this stuff for me and others as well!

However, the main BIG SUCCESS will go to the folks who change with the times.

Agree with you 100% there Kurt

G

People who are a bit snarky about hand construction are probably just PO'd they don't own an SLA machine to print it out themselves... Yes its an art form to be able to build anything from a chunk of resin some styrene bits and a hobby knife... that doesn't mean that its bad for everyone that the technology gets used. Let me make a blatantly over the top analogy...

The original movies we all love (except for a few latelety) were created and release on celluloid that required a multi thousand dollar projector, and a large movie screens with a multi thousand dollar sound systems in order to view. Nowadays we pop the DVD into our hometheater systems and view to our hearts content - is the product deminshed because we used another medium to view it? Granted there is a different experience invovled with viewing it the theater - just as there is a deeper appreciation for the difficulty of building it by hand... But come on...

<Soap-box stowed safely away>

Jedi Dade

I'm caught smack dab in the middle of the issue. I love to do stuff by hand and by CNC. I find that to do stuff by computer takes FOREVER. If I'm the one who has to do the CG modeling as well as the physical side. My Galactica is probably 75% computer time to 25% construction time.

What I love about the computer is it makes repeatability and scale change super easy. I can't remember the last paper drawing I've done. At least 12 years now.

I do get the urge to do something by hand from time to time though. I do feel like the laser cutter is a crutch. But it really isn't that much different than using a power saw to cut a board instead of a hand saw.

Well maybe a little.

I feel like adding a comment. One of the only reasons I build most of my stuff by hand is pretty simple, I can't afford to have my projects SLA'ed, milled or laser cut it's just too expensive for me.
If I could I would use all the cool machinery like SLA, 5 axles milling machines, laser cutters etc. I am lazy too.
I guess, for a professional model builder it is a matter of labour cost but for a garage scratch builder like myself, who do not have access to wonderful machinery but tons of weekends, it is cheaper but take longer to build which I do not mind.
I will not say that new technology is better or worse than doing it by hand, for me it's all about what I can afford.

I do own a MAC PRO for typing letters, I do not use the old Letraset transfer sheets anymore...

I feel like adding a comment. One of the only reasons I build most of my stuff by hand is pretty simple, I can't afford to have my projects SLA'ed, milled or laser cut it's just too expensive for me.
If I could I would use all the cool machinery like SLA, 5 axles milling machines, laser cutters etc. I am lazy too.
I guess, for a professional model builder it is a matter of labour cost but for a garage scratch builder like myself, who do not have access to wonderful machinery but tons of weekends, it is cheaper but take longer to build which I do not mind.
I will not say that new technology is better or worse than doing it by hand, for me it's all about what I can afford.

I do own a MAC PRO for typing letters, I do not use the old Letraset transfer sheets anymore...

Moe, my comments were not to say that "hand crafting" isn't GREAT... in fact IT IS! :D And there will always be a solid market for that creativity. YOU have proven time and again that it can be done accurately and amazingly. I do have a problem when bow shots are taken at another proven creative aspect. Especially when it will assist in making items available with quality, much faster and cost efficient.

LAZY???!!! A wrong choice of word sir! Sculpting out a basic shape (while I understand is very difficult) is not always the most difficult part of the creation (per what I have been told and witnessed), and a 3D printer definitely makes it as accurate as it may be. I have seen Richard sculpt items in one afternoon that have taken other weeks! Plus, let's not forget the amount of time and effort the 3D artist and/or sculptor placed into it. Max can tell you of that.

I will state nothing more on this except that this whole subject being started up in another thread only made it seem as if there was extreme worry about the 3D printing possibly taking lead in the hobby. Like the technology is viewed as a threat to those who only hand craft. This is not the case. Hand crafted items will ALWAYS sell and artists like yourself AND Richard (because the K'Tinga he is working on is still MOSTLY hand crafted) will be very busy for a long time to come. There is no need for ANYONE to take bow shots about any new technology that may come about to assist in creating these great pieces.

You are a great artist Moe. :D I well respect your work and wish to purchase mostly anything you would sell. As a collector that makes many purchases, I am an example of why the bow shots need not be done. The hand craft business will always remain secure.

My apologies for keeping this off topic...

Back to the Slave One... ;)

Last edited:

3D printing gives me the basic shape (the easiest part), it still needs to be cleaned up and detailed. There's still a lot of scratchbuilding involved, it's also easier on my health because the material is really dense and doesn't produce a lot of dust while working it; so that makes me happy.

3D printing gives me the basic shape (the easiest part), it still needs to be cleaned up and detailed. There's still a lot of scratchbuilding involved, it's also easier on my health because the material is really dense and doesn't produce a lot of dust while working it; so that makes me happy.
3D printers were made for modelers, nearly all of the products you own had to go through a design process which requires prototypes. Guess what most prototypes are models. These machines were created to streamline the design process, and every hour somebody is working on something costs money. Model building is very expensive, if I had to pay Rel by the hour to scratch his Enterprise E I would expect to pay $10,000+ for him to complete the job. Then of course I have to put that cost into the final sale price of the model. Now you guys are complaining about how expensive these machines are, the questions that I must ask are:

1. How many hours are spending on one model?
2, If you had a device that gave you the base shape, how many hours will you be saving?
3, In those saved hours how many more models could you produce?

These are the basic questions to ask, because time is money, and true talent is rare. You want your talent to be focused in the right direction. The start up costs for these machines seem high, but spread over a number of models(jobs) the printer can pay for itself.

I have heard people take jabs at technology for years. You guys knocking this stuff is nothing new to me. But it does show your ignorance about how such tools can help you create even better stuff. And guess what, you think it's expensive now, well wait for later, when your going to have a 3D printer sitting next to your computer. Because it costs only a little more than the printer you currently own.

But then I remember a day when people were knocking these new fangled things called "computers". You know the tool you are using to read this post.

Well stated, Max. Eloquent. :thumbsup

I remember reading about Henry Ford and his idea of mass production by assembly line of the automobile and how the horse people said it would never work. " Get a horse! " they said.

Well there is a slight delay in the production, so some discussion was needed to pass the time:rolleyes
Just talking during the intermission.
I for one found it interesting, although everyone posting in the thread seem to agree for the most part so we really are just preaching to ourselves, but that is OK.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back