Macrobinoculars Hero and Stunt build thread.

Jediseth

Sr Member
So I realize there are several Macrobinocular build threads on here. I've started my own just because I have questions and want help with and share my build. Also some other threads are very large and getting difficult to navigate.

To start my goal is to get as accurate as I possibly can within my financial abilities. This is an expensive build that takes money and patients to acquire all the necessary parts.

I'm slowly gathering parts and will probably need help with from some of the veterans who have built these and who have done lots of hard work gathering information and knowledge on building this prop. Trooper and some others on here have already been very gracious.

Here is my first part finished. I posted this on someone else's thread, but am posting it again here because I want to keep my questions and progress together.

This 8 pin connector called a EIAJ connector was taken from an Ibenez UE400. Not the exact screen accurate part, but very close. These are hard to find mostly because they are old and all the Macro builders need one. By purchasing the Ibenez for $155 free shipping I got both the female and male connectors which isn't the worse deal considering some of the old monitors that the female connector comes out of can cost you in the $50 range.
fH5220K.jpg

Here's what it looked like stripped out of the Ibenez

ioeBW5b.jpg

Today I received the lens plate from Dark Energy Creations
MB Lens Plate

There is something I noticed on his images that caught my attention. The direction the face plate is mounted. If you notice the side notch on the lens plate is at the bottom and not the top of the Macrobinoculars. I'm not sure this is accurate and I've seen many attaching it this way.

Z1O09AZ.jpg

Here is a shot I took off my screen from the movie. It looks like the notch in the lens plate is at the top?. The plate from Dark Energy Creations I purchased has this notch on it. I've seen people place the lens plate both ways. Some placing the face plate notch at the bottom and some at the top of their Macrobinoculars so it made me look a little closer into what's going on.
I purchased the lens plate from Dark Energy Creations because I don't have the tools to make a threaded circle for the lenses and I think Dark Energy Creations has a very nice product. If I'm not mistaken it looks to me that the notch is at the top and the dark spot your seeing is the camera behind it.

Luqs91M.jpg

Last edited:
Looking very good, did you de-solder the circuit board or just cut the square out with the pins still in place?

Looking very good, did you de-solder the circuit board or just cut the square out with the pins still in place?

Thanks!
I de-soldered the circuit board and then cut out a tiny square, painted it black and then put it back on the pins. I like the idea of using a used part instead of making something from raw materials or buying something fabricated. It just felt more real to me. Then i just got 26 gauge wire from the Hobby Lobby and wrapped the pins making it look as close to real prop as I can see.

Well like I said in that other thread, I think you got that wire just right, it looks great!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Today I received the lens plate from Dark Energy Creations
http://darkenergycreations.com/mblensplate.aspx

There is something I noticed on his images that caught my attention. The direction the face plate is mounted. If you notice the side notch on the lens plate is at the bottom and not the top of the Macrobinoculars. I'm not sure this is accurate and I've seen many attaching it this way.

https://i.imgur.com/Z1O09AZ.jpg

Here is a shot I took off my screen from the movie. It looks like the notch in the lens plate is at the top?. The plate from Dark Energy Creations I purchased has this notch on it. I've seen people place the lens plate both ways. Some placing the face plate notch at the bottom and some at the top of their Macrobinoculars so it made me look a little closer into what's going on.
I purchased the lens plate from Dark Energy Creations because I don't have the tools to make a threaded circle for the lenses and I think Dark Energy Creations has a very nice product. If I'm not mistaken it looks to me that the notch is at the top and the dark spot your seeing is the camera behind it.

https://i.imgur.com/Luqs91M.jpg

Your observations are correct, I had the same issue with my DEC Lens Plate, I contacted Dave and following some discussions regarding the notch position and peoples preferences, Dave advised that he was going to provide his Plate with 2x sets of mounting holes to allowing both positions, also Dave was more then happy for me to send my Plate back to be re-drilled I just paid for the shipping.

If you haven't already I would contact Dave he is a standup guy and I am sure will get any issues fixed for you :thumbsup

Dave dmachinist

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I started tearing apart the Eumig and I'm trying to figure out how the transition box and the mystery wedge attaches. Any ideas? I'm assuming i'll tap some holes or just drill holes for it to attach with the screws on the right. I'm really puzzled still about the wedge I'm thinking people are using glue, but I'd rather not unless I have no other way. Ideas anyone? Also If anyone has a good aluminum mystery wedge available I'd love to get it. If not I'll most likely make my own. I guess I can study the images as good as anyone.

9h1U5Am.jpg

Here's the best image I could find of the mystery wedge. Anyone got a better one by chance? Ya this thread is going to be full of questions. I't kind of hit and miss with all the various threads out there on the subject of building macrobinoculars.

98cyppv.jpg

What shall i say - i can´t finish any of my Macros cause there is no transition box out there that i like.

Build one yourself, from the 6/60 body...I clad mine with sheet aluminium. It is all metal, with the exception of the curved transition at the front (created with some putty)

What shall i say - i can´t finish any of my Macros cause there is no transition box out there that i like.

You could just buy one of these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-...712896?hash=item4687107300:g:S1AAAOSwANpa5fjE

You could build one I just didn’t know the dimensions and it was the first thing I bought because I only saw one available anywhere. I plan on filling in the cracks with JB weld, sanding it and then using some self etching primer and painting it satin black. If you have all the cameras I’m sure you could get the measurements. I offered this guy in the link $10 less and he took it. Still kind of pricey for a small piece of tin. Making one would be good advice too, I didn’t have a Kalimar so I was afraid I’d get it wrong.

Okay this might be nothing new to some of you but for the new guy building these it may be good info. There are a few things I see wrong with some people making these. The first is sometimes the lens plate gets put in upside down and the second is that the belt clip is placed wrong. If your going for the Hero style Macros which is what I want, So i put the screws up at the top and not on the plate door hinge area. I went with screws because nobody knows what they used and I like having options of taking it off or getting inside again. Plus I can take off the belt clip and put it aside and not have it poking out while I work and drill other holes.

Tap holes and use 4-40 x 1/4” screws they fit flawlessly
BwXSiBi.jpg

Last edited:
"Any" how many Macros are you building!

At the moment I have the parts for at least 2 heros and one stunt. Plus a bunch of additional spare parts for each version - if I need to redo one thing or another later, if new infos appear one day.

But the 2+1 is what I want to build.

At the moment I have the parts for at least 2 heros and one stunt. Plus a bunch of additional spare parts for each version - if I need to redo one thing or another later, if new infos appear one day.

But the 2+1 is what I want to build.

Well if you ever want to part with a couple kalimars....you know who to talk to ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back