Macrobinoculars Hero and Stunt build thread.

Interesting idea.

I will search for some pics - assuming someone had posted such a build?

ME ;) *lol*

Jerry aka trooper also posted pcs of my transition box, when he had it....here are some WIP pics from back then (sorry for hijacking this thread!)

box7.jpgbox1.jpgbox5.jpgbox4.jpgbox6.jpgbox3.jpg

box1.jpg

box3.jpg

box4.jpg

box5.jpg

box6.jpg

box7.jpg

Last edited:
I was never a fan of the prop. It’s beautiful but never had the itch for it...

Since the finding of the mystery box these threads have Ben very popular, and I am seriously getting the itch on slowly collecting these parts

Man this looks like a fun prop to build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it because I have maximum enthusiasm but not the skills to match
The great thing about this prop is its an absolute pain in the backside to get all the pieces but easy to build when you do, and looks impressive.

Now I'm looking at another small technical detail that I think has been done differently between builders. The metal decal at the top is removed on some props to look like this pair of Macrobinoculars. This in my opinion is not the Hero prop used by Luke in the movie scene with the Sandpeople, but rather this one you see here that was on display at Disney's Star Wars Launch Bay. This could be the Stunt pair that was used or perhaps even another pair all together made just to go on display. Who knows? Notice the metal decal is taken completely off showing what"s underneath. Also look the bubble strip isn't there. Also this particular pair of lenses look resin to me.
hp6rNeQ.jpg

I've decided I'm going to try to replicate what I'm seeing here which is simply the metal decal taken off and flipped over and glued back on as seen here.
Ay5ztTF.png

Fp66mSN.jpg

I love a macro build, I never tire reading them, gives me the itch to start one of my own, need a hood of a 66 so I can build a good transition box, the parts are getting very expensive to buy, the lenses are a small mortgage, hope you nail this as I’m watching for hints

I've started building my mystery wedge and I'm noticing something else. The knob ( Emuig ) looks black to me on the real Hero prop. I'm a little confused why many leave it silver or it's just not the Eumig knob at all? Anyone care to discuss or contend?

HVBCz4x.png

I've started building my mystery wedge and I'm noticing something else. The knob ( Emuig ) looks black to me on the real Hero prop. I'm a little confused why many leave it silver or it's just not the Eumig knob at all? Anyone care to discuss or contend?

I looked at the same couple frames as you have (Luke in the garage with the droids) and noted the same thing. For that reason I went with black on mine as well:

5D3_8148_small.jpg

Dan

I looked at the same couple frames as you have (Luke in the garage with the droids) and noted the same thing. For that reason I went with black on mine as well:

View attachment 849557

Dan

That looks exactly right to me. Good eye and nice work! I don't know why people miss that. Question Dan did you glue that knob on? I was trying to find a way to drill a hole but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get it to work. It just doesn't have enough of a wall on the wedge to matter.

Well I decided to make some mystery wedges because I don't really want anything resin and I'm having a hard time getting an aluminum one. So I made some! They are more trouble then what they're worth is the reasoning I think.

LmwuHEJ.jpg

Today after working I managed to get some time to drill and tap a hole for the mystery wedge. I used the existing hole already provided, but realized the hole was metric and the screw it came with was too short and I didn't have any screws to match. The standard 2-56 was closest in size, but I was afraid if I tapped the existing threads that size I wouldn't have enough meat and the threads would strip out. So I went up a size and I tapped a 3-48. I had to measure precisely so the existing hole would line up. It's always easier to just drill a new hole all the way through and tap, but because I had to get inside the triangle that wasn't going to work so well. I got lucky and it lined up, but I did make an extra mystery wedge just in case I botched it. Which I have done more than once on other projects.

Best part no glue! I will have to paint it now and glue on the knob which I would rather not glue, but I can't always get away not using it.
hm3h81v.jpg

Well I decided to make some mystery wedges because I don't really want anything resin and I'm having a hard time getting an aluminum one. So I made some! They are more trouble then what they're worth is the reasoning I think.

https://i.imgur.com/LmwuHEJ.jpg
Yeah I agree I won't put one on my build when I get round to it as there is nothing conclusive to say it's anything like this too. The greebles could be wrong too no one really knows.

I got the Seagull 4a in the mail from Italy it was the best price i could find at $160 delivered. Makes me feel bad I had to destroy the camera for 3 knobs but oh well.
I found the thread on here where some of the guys said the small knobs you just pull and then unscrew with needle nose pliers. I couldn't find anything on how to get the big knob off. I stared at that thing all night before I realized the inside will unthread. I then figured it must have screws hiding under the leather. Pulled it off and found tiny little rusted on flat head screws. So I got a screw driver and started pulling out the tin and poping it out. The tin easily poped out from where the screws had rusted or glued on.
PEIDtvp.jpg

Thank you Halliwax!

So It just couldn't settle with gluing my knob on the mystery wedge. So I decided to turn down an aluminum disk then drill and tap a hole in the center and screw it onto my wedge. The Eumig knob has two tiny screws on the side that hold it onto the disk. Much better in my opinion. Maybe that's a little overboard but it's better I think. Plus everything can be taken apart if for ever reason I find out the real solution to the mystery wedge.
SNzVcc3.jpg

I got the Seagull 4a all torn apart and now I can't decide which knobs are on the side next to the large knob,Seagull or Kalimar? I'm leaning towards Seagull just because it makes sense they didn't spend the time to drill 6 tiny holes and tap them for two knobs to hold them in place. I've starred at the images so much and I still am not certain. Well it's easier to use the Seagull because getting my hands on two Kalimar's is virtually impossible.
I tested fitted a Seagull knob trying to figure out what size hole to drill and tap. Again, I'm not looking to glue or compress fit anything because I want it to stay. I probably will hold off on attaching these knobs as I really want it to be accurate.
g0ZHjOF.jpg

Last edited:
I was also enlightened by a fellow member that my wedge needed more of an angle at the bottom. When he said it I knew he was right. So I fixed to to be more accurate hopefully.

H6rVmGe.jpg

With the help of Trooper's idea I made myself two washers to fit at the bottom of my Seagull knob. My goal is to make it turn like a knob should. There really is no other way to do it from what I can tell and knew I wanted to do this from day one. I don't care if the real prop was just glued on I want a functioning set of Macrobinoculars, plus my motto is If you can find a better way than using glue you do it. Glue is great tool, but you know.

I turned down an 1 1/2 washer to fit perfectly at the bottom of the Seagull knob. Then I drilled and bored it out to fit around the bottom section of the Bell and Howell Circular section that the turn knob fits into. I also faced the Bell and Howell to take off the nub at the bottom. I bored out the nylon washer to fit as well so it can rotate against the Eumig. It only has 1/32" of clearance so you will never see the washers. I don't think I need to screw or glue the washers on because it's a very tight fit and will be press fitted on nicely. Hopefully!

I had a busy day so I haven't tested it out yet. I will drill the hole in the Eumig to fit a 4-40 screw counter sunk into the Bell and Howell and see if it works ( Turns ). I will most likely put another nylon washer between the Eumig and the nut on the inside. I still need to probably mill out clearance inside the Eumig.

If the 4-40 threaded screw becomes too tight and I can’t turn the knob well I might turn down some of the threads and make it a bolt. We shall see.

KEBLo6C.jpg

C5Xj439.jpg
5kzk7W2.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back