Gluing rubber to wood?

Laspector

Master Member
Guys, help me out here. I'm working on a piece that is going to be a base for something. The base is wood and I'm trying to glue these rubber strips to the sides of it and I'm not having any luck getting these strips to stick. I've tried Gorilla two-part epoxy and have also tried rubber cement. Neither seem to be working. What is the best glue for doing this? It's not like the material needs to flex or anything. I'm just using these strips because I like the corrugated texture.
IMG_0585.JPG

A good "contact adhesive" should do the job too. That stuff's messy but magical in its sticking power as long as the parts are porous. I think shoe glue is similar.

Superglue (CA) will work great. Just ensure that the viscosity is medium or thick. This will be a permanent bond, so ensure that you place it right the first time.

TazMan2000

I tried superglue and it would not work. It stuck great to the rubber but not to the wood.

When I provided that advice I was concerned about the "rubber" and not the wood, as ther ar many synthetic materials that could be made to have the same look as rubber but not take CA. Wood is porous and takes the glue easily. Almost too easily since the porous nature absorbs the glue readily. That's why I suggested the thick stuff, but Automaton may be correct if the wood has a waxy finish it will not adhearing correctly. Is it possible to sand it? If you put Thompsons Water Seal one it all bets are off.

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I finally made a concoction that worked. I applied rubber cement to the rubber strips and let it dry. Then I applied a coating of acrylic gesso to the wood over the layer of superglue that was already there. Then applied rubber cement to the wood pieces. After that dried I was able to go dry-to-dry with the rubber cement and it held pretty good.

Kind of a long way around the solution but it worked.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back