REVIEW of RS Prop Masters Signature Edition "Look Sir, Droids" Trooper lid.

Panaflex

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So during my last gig, I pulled the trigger on the new Signature Sandy Trooper lid from RS Prop Masters. This is the 2nd item I purchased from them.
This time, it's the Colin Michael Kitchens Edition. Mr. Kitchens was the "Look Sir, Droids." trooper voice heard in Ep.IV
I didn't know until this time that he was also the assistant editor on Ep. IV as well. The more you know...

The box arrived unscathed to the States from the UK being very well packed with bubble wrap and peanuts. There's a small poster card included in the box and a very professional, slick folder with COA and some propaganda inside. As an added bonus, they included a replica droid part, a small plastic ring to keep by the display. A nice touch indeed. This edition is limited to 100 and I drew number 40. At the time of this review, they were still available.

Picking up the helmet, I was surprised at how light and thin the ABS plastic was. I've been looking at the same old, thick FX bucket on my shelf for a long time and had to remind myself that this RSPM is pulled off the real deal, sharing the same DNA of the 1977 lids and constructed in the same manner as the originals right down to the gauge of the plastic. The size is smaller (accurate) than I expected too. My old FX suddenly looked like a Funko Pop.

The exterior is incredibly detailed; most notably the double slash mark on the dome area. What also caught my eye was the mouth, which isn't perfectly painted to cover the frown/teeth completely. Nice accurate details continue all around.
Holding it in my hands, the paint felt like dirt and grime, embedded into all the nooks and crannies. No sleek finish or clear coat needed here. I actually checked my hands for "dirt" after handling it. The fit and finish is just right, with all the irregular details of the original perfectly captured, warts and all.

I believe the interior is just like the other stunt trooper lids offered by RS Prop Masters. Yellow foam star liner, green lighting film, elastic chin strap and replica vintage "S" spring snaps.

My only gripe would be the stand it came with, its a 4 piece affair which seemed a bit spindly and didn't lock into the base with a reassuring "click" sound you would hope for in a multi-piece helmet stand. The Plaque however, is well done and slides easily into the base making for a very nice display.

In conclusion, RS Prop Masters have definitely upped their game since my last purchase in terms of packaging and presentation. Combine this with their build quality and accurate delivery dates and there is an argument that this company should be producing licensed replicas. It would be interesting to see if they could scale up without a drop in quality. If you're on your Dewback about this, now might be a good time to hop off and grab one of these. Those droids aren't going to find themselves.

look-sir-droids-1024x539.png

Front.jpg
Left.jpg
Right.jpg
Left quarter.jpg

Low angle.jpg
High Angle.jpg
Rear.jpg
Booklet.jpg

Booklet inserts.jpg
certificate.jpg

Signature plaque.jpg

COLIN_MICHAEL_KITCHENS_Box_Insert_Gold-768x768.jpg
Poster Card. Note the pictured helmet lacks some paint details of the original in the screenshot and the actual product.

Attachments

• Droid part.jpg
    Droid part.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Excellent thorough revue. This really is a piece of art, an actual perfect replica of something so iconic. I'm blown away by this helmet.

What a professional job. It’s all about presentation to me, the box, the packaging the post card. Hell even that washer O ring thing

Magnificent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the wonderful review.

ive just placed an order for 1 after reading it.

looking forward to receiving mine .:)

Thanks to all for the feedback. It's appreciated. This is the first review I've done and I enjoyed it.
Tunster, feel free to post pics of yours here if you like and your impressions as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back