It's Halloween! Recommend a scary streaming movie

What about The Prophecy with Christopher Walken. The first one is the best. just stop there. I think there were five made that declined in quality as they went along.
Creepy mostly due to Walken, with little to no gore.

I was going to suggest Hereditary and Apostle but late to the party. I havent seen either but they have a lot of scary buzz.

I will confess that I actually enjoy several of the seasons of American Horror Story. The first season is a lot of fun. Lots of folks liked the second season (Asylum), but I found that one kind of "meh." The third season, "Coven" is pretty weak, as is the fourth season, "Freak Show." Some folks really didn't like "Hotel," but I enjoyed it. Probably my favorite season thus far, though, is "Roanoke." "Cult" was another weak one, which seemed to be trying too hard to be topical, and I haven't watched any of the new season yet.

But that's still three solid seasons, and at least one other (Asylum) that other folks dig.

Personally, only Roanoke and Murder House are actually scary at all. The rest I didn't find all that scary.

To me, the supernatural is the really scary stuff.

My wife and I started binge watching The Haunting of Hill House. We have gotten through episode 6. It starts with a good enough hook to grab you and so far keeps getting better.

Get Out! (2017) is a fantastic, highly-rated scary movie! It's realistic, subtle and utterly terrifying. It left me shaken, and that doesn't happen to me very often. I really recommend it! Its memorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get Out! (2017) is a fantastic, highly-rated scary movie! It's realistic, subtle and utterly terrifying. It left me shaken, and that doesn't happen to me very often. I really recommend it! Its memorable.

How is a full-on brain transplant realistic. or locking someone away in the back of their own mind?

Anyway, the horror film of today just don't do it for me, Hereditary was boring, nothing happens till the last 10 minutes.

I go to the late 70s or 80s, From Beyond being one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
House at the end of time (spanish) is really good.
Let the Right One In (original not the american 'let me in' remake)
The Awakening
Trick 'r Treat is always a good classic though not really scary
Oculus was pretty cool.
The Invitation is a slow burner but gets pretty crazy

Edit:
oh another one that's not what it seems is HouseBound. great horror comedy

Last edited:
Not sure whether its streaming or not, but "The Orphanage" is really creepy. Just rewatched it recently. Also "The Others" if you haven't seen it

The Strangers is a movie that isn't necessarily scary but it definitely left me feeling uncomfortable after watching it. The other movie that gets to me is Signs. Might be because the first time I watched it was around midnight and I was surrounded by corn fields.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back