It's Halloween! Recommend a scary streaming movie

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We watch one scary movie every night in the month of October. We have the three big streaming channels, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime so we generally have no shortage of scary movies. The problem is lately we've run into a rash of terrible films. Either the story is crap, the acting is lousy or excessive pointless gore. Now I understand that everyone has their own idea of what scary is. Let me give you an example of what we're looking for: we don't find the Saw movies scary maybe some people equate blood and gore to horror. We don't necessarily. The Babadook, THAT'S a scary movie. This is why I turn to the RPF. Instead of going into another movie blind, can you guys recommend a horror movie that you really enjoyed (preferably something currently streaming)?

Seven genuinely creeped me out the first time I saw it in the theaters... though I'm not sure if it's one of those movies that holds up through multiple viewings in terms of the 'scare' factor...

7th Moon was seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously creepy for me. It's one of my favorite horror movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's streaming but "the thing"... this movie scared the hell outta me (especially alone in the dark, with the volume cranked up as it was VHS and we didn't have a TV remote, so after you hit play, you had to move TOWARDS the TV to turn it down! yeah the volume "dial" :lol) and i just love this movie... :love

I don't know if it's streaming but "the thing"... this movie scared the hell outta me (especially alone in the dark, with the volume cranked up as it was VHS and we didn't have a TV remote, so after you hit play, you had to move TOWARDS the TV to turn it down! yeah the volume "dial" :lol) and i just love this movie... :love
Funny enough, The Thing, which we own, was the first movie we started with on October first!

We are currently going through the Universal Monsters, which my seven year old has never seen. He fell in love with the Invisible Man. Wait till you guys see his Halloween costume!

Ok, Mandy is on cue for tomorrow night!

Last edited:
I love "No one lives" with Luke Evans. Not really jump scary but a horror none the less. Great premise for a movie. Typical wrong place, wrong time but in reverse. I'm not a huge Horror fan but this one does it for me.

That or Monster Squad...

Funny enough, The Thing, which we own, was the first movie we started with on October first!

We are currently going through the Universal Monsters, which my seven year old has never seen. He fell in love with the Invisible Man. Wait till you guys see his Halloween costume!

Ok, Mandy is on cue for tomorrow night!
Im not sure Mandy is going to be scary, especially if you have a 7 year old. Im 36 and love slow burner movies but man this was hard to get through until the last act.

I always find demon possession movies to be scary, so Im a fan of the paranormal activity movies, the first couple at least. Some people thought "The Witch" was scary, thats on Netflix, but I thought that was boring as all hell too. As above so below was a good one. I think that just got added to Netflix.

"the descent" was pretty good, I don't really like tight places, so dark cavern movie were they rely on there head lamps and they slowly build up the reveal. so yeah watch this one in the dark ;)

I LOVED The Witch. As Above So Below was fun - I don't remember it being scary, but it was certainly fun.
Hereditary was excellent - Toni Collette is AMAZING in that movie. Her best role since Muriel's Wedding.
I thought the original Conjuring was very good.

My favorite nostalgia horror film is The Changeling, with George C. Scott. That movie scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.
Oh, and then there's the Dr. Phibes movies - loved those twisted films!

I LOVED The Witch. As Above So Below was fun - I don't remember it being scary, but it was certainly fun.
Hereditary was excellent - Toni Collette is AMAZING in that movie. Her best role since Muriel's Wedding.
I thought the original Conjuring was very good.

My favorite nostalgia horror film is The Changeling, with George C. Scott. That movie scared the heck out of me when I was a kid.
Oh, and then there's the Dr. Phibes movies - loved those twisted films!
Good call on The Conjuring, I forgot about that. Thats on Netflix too, I might have to watch that one again. While I thought Heriditary was pretty lame, I totally agree with Toni Collette's performance, she really did well.

oO4Cq.gif

I'd suggest two new Netflix that have just been listed:

"The Apostle" : Grim is the word I would use, and bloodily horrible in places. Its been a while since I've watched a film in which I've wanted to see certain characters get what they really deserve but this has them in it. For some reason the phrase "I am Groot " kept popping into my mind occasionally.

"The Haunting of Hill House" : Its a ten episode stretch.The first seems strong enough, so one a night should keep you going..

I really want to know what is Funky's family "holy grail" for halloween night!?!? :ninja DO NOT SAY DAVID S PUMPKIN'S :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back