Iron Spiderman Legs for Son's Costume

dajonx

Hi,

I'm very, very new to this world and I was wondering if someone could please help me in figuring out how to complete my son's Halloween costume. He has a Spiderman Iron Spider/Infinity Wars costume, but it doesn't have any legs. So I thought perhaps I could try to make something to enhance his costume.

I purchased a couple of pipe insulation tubes and some heavy gauge wire to mold the legs. Unfortunately, the wire wasn't long enough (oops) so I connected a piece of wire hanger on the ends so that they're sticking out inside the tubes. So, I think I have the "main" legs prepared (minus the painting), but I am completely stumped on how to create the sharp ends of the legs. However those sharp points are made, it'll have to connect to those wire hanger ends and glued (is hot glue dumb to use?). As for attaching those legs to his back, my guess is to cut up an old backpack and thread the tubes through?

I'm sure I'm making you guys laugh at how elementary my idea is, but I'm trying! Haha!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

I would think the backpack concept would be the way to go.
To enhance the theme, maybe it could have a Spiderman logo as well.

Since the costume is "ready made" you wouldn't want to mess with that.

The backpack would be easy to put on, adjust and easy to take off.

It would be good to have the legs themselves attached to a fairly ridged mounting piece that would be firmly attached inside the back pack itself.

To attach the legs separately to the mounting piece inside the back pack, you could use small diameter PVC pipe pieces and press fit the legs
through holes in the back pack.

Maybe you could form the legs points out of aluminum foil then cover that with paper mach'e.

Iron-Spider man.jpg

Last edited:
Love the backpack idea and I agree with propmaser2000's plan for not modifying the premade suit. Just ensure that the backpack is able to be tightened (without looking too bad) since a backpack isn't designed to carry weight in that orientation.

I propose having a flat panel, perhaps a thin wooden board, and secure 4 pvc end caps that have the same diameter as the insulation you are using for the arms. I would suggest screws since a lot of the force from the arms will be sheer force and will easily break off if the caps are just glued:
Base x4.PNG

If you do that all on the same panel, you can use a lot of hot glue to attach it to the inside of the backpack.

For the ends, I would use thick craft from or foam floor mats and just fold/carve them to the shape that you want. The important part is that they are lightweight enough to be support by the wire that you are using for the arms. cutting out a scythe shape from the floor mat should give you enough thickness to give it the recognizable iron spider look.

Hi D

I think it's awesome that you're doing this for your son.Perhaps this 3d file can help you on your way.Open up and unfold in pepakura designer 4 (free software):
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2927083/files
Or this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431888
Last resort:
https://www.models-resource.com/mobile/marvelsfuturefight/model/15324/
Software breaks it down into strips that you can print and reassemble off-screen.
Personally I would construct the arms out of foam (by transferring paper templates onto a roll of foam) since that material is lighter than pvc pipes,combined with a harness/woodboard foundation as suggested in earlier comments.

Like you mentioned: it's for your son,so you would want to reduce weight as much as possible.I hope this info helps.Good luck and looking forward to your project !

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions! You guys are absolutely brilliant!

Some questions:

Would I need to apply some sort of glue if I connect the foam tubes to the 45-degree PVC connectors?

Wouldn't aluminum foil be pretty light for the leg ends? My assumption is using foam for it would be more difficult and heavier?

I guess I would need to stick the leg end through the wire hanger and glue it to the foam tube?

How would I attach the wood board to a backpack? Glue?

Since his costume is velcro in the back, maybe he could wear the contraption underneath his costume and try to close his costume as best as I can? I wonder if he's going to think it's too heavy to lug around...

Again, thank you SO much for all of your help!

Do you have pictures of what you already have?
Maybe it would help to see what you have to work with now....

What are the dimensions you are looking to achieve and what tools and materials do
you have, and/or can get to work with?

Last edited:
Not sure if you've started on this yet, but I remembered this Tested video that might be helpful for achieving the effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thank you so much for everyone's suggestions! You guys are absolutely brilliant!

Some questions:

Would I need to apply some sort of glue if I connect the foam tubes to the 45-degree PVC connectors?

Wouldn't aluminum foil be pretty light for the leg ends? My assumption is using foam for it would be more difficult and heavier?

I guess I would need to stick the leg end through the wire hanger and glue it to the foam tube?

Since his costume is velcro in the back, maybe he could wear the contraption underneath his costume and try to close his costume as best as I can? I wonder if he's going to think it's too heavy to lug around...

Again, thank you SO much for all of your help!

Hot glue would work - Also good contact cement like Barge if you can get it

The foil will work but not be durable - some EVA foam cut to a point will work and not really add that much weight.

Depending on weight you could get industrial velcro - some of it will hold as much as 20 lbs so more than cover you

I would do it on the outside- depending on age - 7+ do it on the inside but a younger kid you want to have the legs quickly removable for travel in carseats, potty break etc...and when he is just tried of wearing it you can easily wear it over one of your shoulders while you trick or treat...
Just know he will enjoy it so don't beat yourself up on details or crazy hollywood quality - also he is gonna run around - it will get beat up and most likely broken,,,but he will have blast and that is what you are shooting for!

good luck

"Wouldn't aluminum foil be pretty light for the leg ends? My assumption is using foam for it would be more difficult and heavier?
The foil will work but not be durable - some EVA foam cut to a point will work and not really add that much weight."

2mm foam would also work for more delicate parts

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I was planning on making progress on the legs this past weekend, but work blew up in my face. :/

This is what I have thus far. Not much...

IMG_20181016_074825.jpg IMG_20181016_074932.jpg

The aluminum foil is the base for the paper mache (if it does rain on Halloween, won't paint help make it a little water resistant?) and the insulation tubes with the wires inside on one. I'm starting to think perhaps it will be best to simplify things and not make it look as awesome as it can be. I truly think the 45 degree PVC connectors attached to a base is the best way, but it is more costly (which the wifey won't like).

So I was thinking of crossing the two tubes and cut out half of the tube in the middle where they meet so that the tubes can be flush on top of one another. (I still need to attach it to a base so I'm going to have to look for a cheapo backpack to cut up) Then I can create a "V" shape on the four "legs" where it will start from the joint... I'm not sure if I'm describing it well...

horriblepic.jpg

Something like that... My son is slightly more handsome than that. Haha!

Anyways, then at the ends of the legs, I can attach the aluminum foil/paper mache claws using the wire ends and glue and angle it slightly downward.

I'm trying to keep it simple and on the cheap so if this succeeds, the wifey might let loose the purse strings a bit the next time. Haha!

By the way, that video is pretty awesome. I have to remember to use that wire instead of heavy gauge copper wire...

Thank you again!

It looks like a good start with what you have to work with.
I think anything you come up with will give the costume a bit more character and only has to last one evening. :)

Does your local Mall allow the kids to walk from store to store?
It is indoors, so weather wouldn't be an issue and people like to take pictures.

We haven't considered malls. We normally do "Trunk or Treat" (in a parking lot at churches) and the normal Halloween night walking door-to-door in our neighborhood. I think if the weather is bad, the neighborhood reschedules it for the following evening.

If it does rain, do the mall on Halloween (if they are doing trick or treating) and the church function when they reschedule...
Really show off the costume :)

Haha! Only if it looks decent!

So I made a cross with the foam tubes (cutting out half of the tubes where they intersect) and put Crazy Glue knockoff in there. Would that be enough to hold it together or do I need to strengthen it with something else? I'm guessing I should strengthen it, but with what?

Another question is, what can I use to attach the intersection of the two foam tubes to a backpack? Glue?

Last edited:
Have you gotten the backpack yet?

Can you post a picture if you can?

Will the legs go inside the backpack and out some holes, or do you want the legs attached to the outside?

Maybe if you can firm up the inside of the tubes at the "X" point, you can Zip Tie the legs to a ridged piece of
cardboard or something else around the house.

spider legs 1.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back