Ministry of Space - Britannia

Kingmob

I recently reread the great, three issue series by Warren Ellis: Ministry of Space.
Ministry_of_Space_.jpg
As I read, I started to think about building the spaceplane from the cover. I noticed that it has a lot of similarities to a de Havilland Vampire, particularly the intakes.
And as luck would have it, Airfix just came out with a nice, new cheap kit.
So with a bit of cutting and chopping and putty, I'm going to try and convert it.

DSC_0290.JPGI changed the cockpit to a single seater, but otherwise the kit started as intended.
DSC_0291.JPGDSC_0292.JPG
Next I started shortening and thinning the wings. The gaps are for the booms and they will have to get filled in later.

The next step is changing the back section up a bit.

Filled in the gaps in the wings with some scrap styrene and finished out the internals of the engine. I just to get some rocket nozzles of the right size.
thumbnail_DSC_0301.jpgthumbnail_DSC_0302.jpgthumbnail_DSC_0303.jpgthumbnail_DSC_0304.jpg

Blended the gaps in the wings and the engine section in. There's just a few spots I need to take care of.
thumbnail_DSC_0312.jpgthumbnail_DSC_0313.jpg
Next up, the stabilizers and the tail.

Interesting subject, I wasn't familiar with either, Had to look up de Havilland Vampire

Looks like your doing a great job in the conversion!

Re-did the stabilisers. They were standing up too tall for my tastes.
thumbnail_DSC_0328.jpgthumbnail_DSC_0330.jpg
thumbnail_DSC_0329.jpg
Made the tails and added the canard thing behind the cockpit.
Now I just have to place the tails and the elevator, and construction is pretty much done.

And tail added. Just need to do some clean up, fix the scribe lines and add the spike to the nose, then it's time for paint.
thumbnail_DSC_0332.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back