• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vivek

Master Member
First Man

First Man is one of my anticipated movies of 2018. Directed by Damien Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land).

Based on the 2005 book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong. The authorized biography by James R. Hansen.

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll.

Screenplay: Nicole Perlman and Josh Singer.

In theaters October 12, 2018.

9780743256315_custom-a6b749d33505c4803b43901e45e0bf72c76eabfe-s400-c85.jpg

Re: First Man

Damien Chazelle's 'First Man' Is A "Mission Movie" And Not A Biopic Says Screenwriter

Damn, I am now more excited after reading the following.

First Man screenwriter Josh Singer during his interview with Boston Globe:

" Singer, who won, along with Tom McCarthy, the Academy Award for best original screenplay for “Spotlight,” is emphatic that “First Man” is not a biopic. First and foremost, he says, it’s an action film. That’s what Chazelle, the Rhode Island native who won the best director Oscar for “La La Land,” wanted so that’s what Singer delivered.

“Damien had a very clear vision from the outset. He said, ‘Can we get across how challenging this was? Can we get across the visceral nature of this?’ The space program has been depicted, tonally, on the softer side in the past.' Damien said, ‘I want to be terrified the entire time.’ It’s one of the earliest things we talked about. Neil’s heroism isn’t because he landed on the moon, it’s because he had the wherewithal to live through it all.”

Singer said he hopes moviegoers learn a few things about the space program they didn’t know. And he promises it won’t be tedious.

“This is 100 percent a mission movie. It’s about going to the moon as seen through the eyes of the guy who got there,” Singer said. “We have at least five major set pieces that are action, and if your heart rate doesn’t go through the roof, if you’re not gripping the edge of your seat the entire times, I’ll be shocked.” "

Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy Are Neil and Janet Armstrong in First Man Sneak Peek | PEOPLE.com
Guess we can expect the trailer later this month.

“What fascinated me about Neil Armstrong is that he is kind of a mystery,” Chazelle tells PEOPLE. “For someone that accomplished something that is among one of the most famous things that anyone has ever accomplished, the human himself is a little bit of an enigma. And it’s funny, the first time I ever met Ryan was to pitch him this role, before we did La La Land together, so it was a dream to have him in this role.”

Chazelle says that Gosling was his first choice to play Armstrong because he’s a believable introspective hero. “I was fascinated by the psychology of what can drive someone to do what Neil Armstrong did, to physically go further than any human being in history pretty much, in terms of the journey he goes on,” he says. “I think Ryan is able to capture that kind of drive, that kind of methodical focus, that kind of quiet heroism.”

He adds: “Neil was not a showy person. A lot of the other astronauts and pilots of that era were what you expect, the outgoing, hotshot types, but Neil was very different. He was the brainier, quieter, more introverted person and he’s a man of few words who did the job and got it done. I see a little bit of Ryan in that as well and I think Ryan was able to capture it beautifully.”

Starring opposite Gosling as Armstrong’s first wife, Janet, is The Crown‘s Claire Foy. Chazelle admits to being surprised by how quickly and naturally the actors embodied the married couple and parents of three children.

“Ryan and Claire Foy had never worked together, but I remember right from the beginning they just slipped into these roles, and just became a family on camera,” he says. “There was this sort of chemistry and bond between Ryan and Claire onscreen that really felt like the young Neil and Janet Armstrong that I had read about.”

Oh and the song Gosling and Foy are dancing to in the scene pictured above? An unusual, but favorite piece of music of the Armstrongs.

“It was a track that Neil and Janet shared with each other and that Neil wound up bringing with him on the Apollo 11 mission, it’s called ‘Lunar Rhapsody,'” explains Chazelle. “It’s quite appropriate, but it’s this sort of weird Theremin orchestral track from the early days of the Theremin [a eerie/spacey-sounding electric instrument with metal antennas].”

The Whiplash director’s goal with First Man is to capture the history-making action of Armstrong’s most famous moments as an astronaut, as well as what happened while he was off-duty, at home with his family.

“Ryan and I described the movie to each other as it’s about the moon and the kitchen, which means basically we wanted to tell the story about one of the most epic accomplishments in human history, but root it very much in the intimate and the day to day details of what it was actually like.” he says. “What did it feel like to be Neil or Janet at that moment in time and going through these truly superhuman kind of events.

He adds: “I wanted to try to tell the sort of epic space movie [story] but root it very much in family and in love and loss and marriage and parenthood and what those things mean.”

I`ve been desperately wanting to see this. The trailer is great and immediately took me back to the feel of the masterpiece of The Right Stuff.

Holy. Crap. That trailer gave me massive chills!!

This movie has just sky rocketed to the top of my list of most anticipated movies this year. I'm so excited!!!

Gripping trailer. I hope to catch this on IMAX even if that means traveling to another city for several hours. Last time I did that was in 2013 for Gravity.

This movie is going to make a whole generation of people realize for the first time how monumental the moon landing space program was and will remind those who have forgotten.

Cant wait for this! La La Land is one of my favorite films ever and i have zero interest in musicals. Wonder what the score is going to be like.

Not digging the contrived melodrama. Other than that it looks really, really, good.

Contrived melodrama...? You're literally talking about a mission to do something that had NEVER been done before. Where there were zero guarantees that their objective would be successful, and where (as we learned on more than one NASA mission), a fail of less than a millimeter could result in loss of life. I don't see anything contrived here. I see a pretty good depiction of the fears that the friends and family of these men must have been feeling.

I think it looks great, myself, but I'm a sucker for astronaut movies. Always have been.

Contrived melodrama...? You're literally talking about a mission to do something that had NEVER been done before. Where there were zero guarantees that their objective would be successful, and where (as we learned on more than one NASA mission), a fail of less than a millimeter could result in loss of life. I don't see anything contrived here. I see a pretty good depiction of the fears that the friends and family of these men must have been feeling.

I think it looks great, myself, but I'm a sucker for astronaut movies. Always have been.

These guys were test pilots. Their wives were the wives of test pilots.
These are not people who lose their cool.
It's contrived melodrama, because Hollywood thinks that's what people want to see.

Hopefully it doesn't play out as painfully as it looks in the trailer, because everything else looks great (as I said).

These guys were test pilots. Their wives were the wives of test pilots.
These are not people who lose their cool.
It's contrived melodrama, because Hollywood thinks that's what people want to see.

Hopefully it doesn't play out as painfully as it looks in the trailer, because everything else looks great (as I said).

I kind of agree with you but I remember Ron Howard saying that he had to inject melodrama in to Apollo 13 as the reality was that those guys were so calm, cool and collected that to just present them in that professional manner wouldnt have made as good a movie experience.

I kind of agree with you but I remember Ron Howard saying that he had to inject melodrama in to Apollo 13 as the reality was that those guys were so calm, cool and collected that to just present them in that professional manner wouldnt have made as good a movie experience.

I kind of agree with that, but too much melodrama makes me not want to watch.
I couldn't even finish "Lost in Space" (Netflix reboot). My eyes had rolled so far into the back of my head by episode 4 that I just gave up.

I kind of agree with that, but too much melodrama makes me not want to watch.
I couldn't even finish "Lost in Space" (Netflix reboot). My eyes had rolled so far into the back of my head by episode 4 that I just gave up.

I totally agree with that.

Yep, awesome: saw the whole thing on T.V. live in '69;) What drama! No need to inject too much melodrama in there, but going through a check list with these guys can be very boring. These Pros are cool cucumbers in any circumstances and I mean any circumstances!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back