Hellboy (2019) props

I'm still not sold on the octagon RHOD but the Samaritan looks nice so far. Captures some of the feeling of the auto-mag version of the gun, which (briefly) came before the single-shot revolver look.

Captures some of the feeling of the auto-mag version of the gun, which (briefly) came before the single-shot revolver look.
Nope - the apparently semi-auto pistol only appears in "The Wolves of Saint August," which was published after "Seed of Destruction" (in which Hellboy has the "single shot revolver"). The "Wolves" story also takes place after "Seed" - Hellboy comments that he's "trying to get modern" when asked about the gun.

The W.I.S.A gun was the one I was referring to, yes. (I did a build of it here a few years ago.) Kate intimates that it's the first time he's carried a gun and he responds as if it is. (The "getting modern" comment reads as if he's talking about having a gun at all, in answer to her comment.) Maybe it's a continuity error in the script and it's only supposed to be the first time she's seen him carry one, but then the dialog would/should have been a little different. Anyway, the 2019 gun gave me some of the vibe of that weapon.

Nope - the apparently semi-auto pistol only appears in "The Wolves of Saint August," which was published after "Seed of Destruction" (in which Hellboy has the "single shot revolver"). The "Wolves" story also takes place after "Seed" - Hellboy comments that he's "trying to get modern" when asked about the gun.

Kate intimates that it's the first time he's carried a gun and he responds as if it is. (The "getting modern" comment reads as if he's talking about having a gun at all, in answer to her comment.)
Huh... I've never read it that way. I always saw it as Kate never having seen anything quite like it before, which is why she asks if it's a gun. I interpret Hellboy's response of "trying to get modern" as a reference to it being an "upgrade" when compared to his old pistol. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I still maintain that the Wolves story takes place after the events of Seed though... which means that this wouldn't be the first time he's carried a gun.

Seed is set in
Huh... I've never read it that way. I always saw it as Kate never having seen anything quite like it before, which is why she asks if it's a gun. I interpret Hellboy's response of "trying to get modern" as a reference to it being an "upgrade" when compared to his old pistol. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

I still maintain that the Wolves story takes place after the events of Seed though... which means that this wouldn't be the first time he's carried a gun.
They are both set in 1994 and no mention of what month, but as Kate is now in charge rather than Prof Broom, I always assumed wolves happened after seed.
I figured Kate was bought in as Brooms replacement after his death.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

shame they didn't go with a wooden grip for the pistol. Gun seems a bit too high tech rather than the classic gun given to HB by the torch of liberty in the comics.

His new gun is based on a German Heer flare gun. It's from WW2. It looks like they modified the grip frame a bit, made thier own grips, extended the barrel out, added a shroud/shell, etc.

Here is the base flare gun as issued.

heer2.jpg

heer3.jpg

His new gun is based on a German Heer flare gun. It's from WW2. It looks like they modified the grip frame a bit, made thier own grips, extended the barrel out, added a shroud/shell, etc.

Here is the base flare gun as issued.

View attachment 848097

View attachment 848096
Great work! Yeah the back end has not been changed at all it looks like! Now to start working out the measurements! [emoji16]

They say in the video that its NOT the Samaritan, its a typing error
No idea. "The Samaritan" was never a term used in the comics, just in the deltoro movies.
I also have no idea what he is saying about upgrades later in the series?!
No mention of a sequel yet as far as I know!!

They are both set in 1994 and no mention of what month, but as Kate is now in charge rather than Prof Broom, I always assumed wolves happened after seed. I figured Kate was bought in as Brooms replacement after his death.
Well, at the beginning of Seed when Professor Bruttenholm is listening to the tape recording concerning Hellboy's arrival (in 1944) it's mentioned that it was "thirty-five years ago," to which Bruttenholm adds "closer to fifty now..." Closer to fifty, so that would put it a little before 1994.

EDIT: Right you are - according to the Dark Horse Hellboy Timeline lithograph that was given away at NYCC both Bruttenholm's death and Kate's first field mission (Wolves of Saint August) occurred in 1994.

They say in the video that its NOT the Samaritan, its a typing error
I think that was a matter of Chronicle Collectibles not knowing what else to call it - kinda' like how everybody refers to *any* Blade Runner pistol as a PKD :facepalm

Last edited:
EDIT: Right you are - according to the Dark Horse Hellboy Timeline lithograph that was given away at NYCC both Bruttenholm's death and Kate's first field mission (Wolves of Saint August) occurred in 1994.

I am desperate for one of those! Will have to keep an eye on eBay...[emoji26]

On the plus side there is lots of reference material for the Heer flare pistol so scaling the pistol should be ok. I'll have a go this weekend!

Just watched the "leaked" trailer from NYCC. The gun in the trailer is not the gun in the NYCC video.

Meaning . . . maybe we get 2 new prop guns in the film?

HBgun.jpg

I'm not entirely sold on this design, those black polymer grips look way too clean. That said, a 4-shot revolver is not the most practical design if you've got sequences in the movie where the hero is shooting 10+ rounds at a time. *cough* So i'm not against updating the design to something that looks semi-automatic. The guy in the video said something about this being single-shot which makes even less sense to me... personally I was thinking it had some kind of tube-feed mechanism like a shotgun.

I know his main gun in the comics is basically just a big cylinder though, so ammo capacity might not be a big concern with regards to the design.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back