Rocketeer rocketpack harness from South beach leather available again!

Red7

Fellow finheads rejoice! If you are assembling a Rocketeer costume you may be interested to know that South beach Leather has made their Rocketeer Rockpack leather harness available again! :) I was sweating how I would get this particular bit accomplished for my rocketpack. I don't have spectacular leather working skills, so this is a Godsend.

Here is the link: https://southbeachleather.com/billy-campbell-the-rocketeer-rocket-pack-leather-harness/

Ordered.

I made my own harness for my rocketpack years ago, but I did it without any sort of leather stitching. Made the template in Adobe Illustrator and cut the shapes out and used belt blanks held on with Chicago screws!

Here are some pics:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiZv5Por

OMG... NEED. Question on the harness, are the straps snapped on? I have screen accurate buckles I would want to swap for the plastic ones.

OMG... NEED. Question on the harness, are the straps snapped on? I have screen accurate buckles I would want to swap for the plastic ones.

I don't have mine yet so I cannot say for sure, but the pictures do appear to show snaps are used to secure the straps. I hope so too because I have some buckles that I hope to replace the plastic ones with. They aren't screen accurate, although if I could find some I would totaly use them! They are tough to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Ordered.

I made my own harness for my rocketpack years ago, but I did it without any sort of leather stitching. Made the template in Adobe Illustrator and cut the shapes out and used belt blanks held on with Chicago screws!

Here are some pics:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsiZv5Por

Nice!!! I hope mine looks half as good as that when I'm done!!

Last month when I saw that South Beach Leather was making the Rocketeer jacket again, I ordered one. I was also happy to see that they offered the harness as an add on. At the time, they didn’t have a separate listing for the harness. I ordered a medium jacket and the shipping was super quick.

to answer the question, yes - the front harness buckles are removable. You can see in the picture that there are snaps.

While it’s close, my harness has a couple of issues:

- it’s to big. Not sure what size it is. As a jacket addon, it didn’t have a size option. I had hoped it would be something compatible with the selected jacket size.
- Out of the package, there are no adjustments for the harness.
- the color is the same as the jacket. It should be darker, but I don’t see that as an option even if you purchase the harness separate.
- the side straps are really wide. It’s very difficult to get between the bib buttons.

Just wanted to show everyone what it looks like. I’m probably going to try to use some leather dye to darken mine and cut down the straps in the front. I plan to always use the bib with mine so it will never be seen. As for the width of the side strap, I’m not sure. Maybe I can get it between the buttons.

Now to find some affordable boots and to make or buy some gloves!

Attachments

• 1735FFA8-9AAA-4E44-8CAD-540343910E80.jpeg
    1735FFA8-9AAA-4E44-8CAD-540343910E80.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,252
  • B37A24BA-C3F5-48B8-A109-0FB2884B6929.jpeg
    B37A24BA-C3F5-48B8-A109-0FB2884B6929.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 633
  • 56742352-ABFA-4042-B9AA-70F0871DC3B6.jpeg
    56742352-ABFA-4042-B9AA-70F0871DC3B6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 437
  • 98D586D2-FD29-4E40-A7A1-6A8DB0A385C4.jpeg
    98D586D2-FD29-4E40-A7A1-6A8DB0A385C4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 549
Ok, I just got the harness and it is indeed WAY to large! I am 165 lbs with a 40 inch chest and a 38 inch waist. This normally equates to a medium (which is what I ordered) for all the clothing I buy. Not so here! This looks like a 2xl size person would feel right at home in it. Obviously, this will not work. The harness needs to fit snugly so the the rocketpack will not slip down and slide around. I suppose taking it to a leather shop for alterations is a possibility.

Hate to hear that yours is so large as well. I bet mine is a medium as well. I’ll try to get some measurements of mine and post them. We can then determine the sizing compared to yours.

I noticed they make a small, extra small, and children’s. I wonder how much smaller they are?

Hate to hear that yours is so large as well. I bet mine is a medium as well. I’ll try to get some measurements of mine and post them. We can then determine the sizing compared to yours.

I noticed they make a small, extra small, and children’s. I wonder how much smaller they are?

Hey DazzlerFan. I went ahead and ordered the xsmall based on the very oversized medium’s ridiculous girth. I know it’s a big gamble, but when I get it we can compare it to the medium, make some measurements and hopefully provide some better intel for others who may want to get one in the future. Too bad we have to do this ourselves. There really should be better data on the southbeach website. As you noted in your post, the color is too light so I too will be attempting to darken it up.

Also, I have some cool looking buckles I’m going to use for mine since the originals, especially the lower one seem to be constructed of an alloy with a high percentage of unobtainium. For the upper buckle, I’ll be using the buckle from the “leg garter” straps from a Martin Baker ejection seat, and for the lower buckle, I’m kinda torn between a Pacific Scientific rotary 5 point buckle as used in airliners, and an older, more period correct aircraft lap belt buckle as used in WWII era aircraft. I just think the rotary buckle looks cool. But, it’s all kinda pointless since no one will really ever see the buckles anyway, Ha ha! Oh well. It’s still fun to find cool stuff like this! Here’s a pic of the buckles I’m thinking of using.
C74FE3EC-9D1E-499B-9E42-6DAD905750FB.jpeg

Ok, so the "XSmall" arrived today and it is the EXACT SAME SIZE as the "Medium"!!! :facepalm I sent a message to Southbeach about it and we'll see what their response will be. Why why why does this have to be so excruciating?

Ok, so the "XSmall" arrived today and it is the EXACT SAME SIZE as the "Medium"!!! :facepalm I sent a message to Southbeach about it and we'll see what their response will be. Why why why does this have to be so excruciating?

:unsure Hate to hear that. Hopefully they will fix it somehow

Yeah, I don't have any experience with their customer service but I guess I'm about to. Geez. It's not friggen rocket sci.....well, then again maybe it is in this case. :lol

Ordered.

Here are some pics:

The Rocketeer
Hi there love the pics do your have any diagrams on how to make the harness as Im making the outfit on a limited budget. My email is foghornl69@virginmedia.com. I have the coat just using 3d printer to do the rest of the outfit just the harness im having problems with. Many thanks Francis

Can anyone tell me how this harness connects to the rocket itself? Would i need to buy anything extra to connect the harness to the rocket?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back