Crimson Hood

I've always been a bit of a Red Hood fanboy, and I never had really picked up too many of his comics until I saw the new revamp. DC is bringing Red Hood to almost be the Punisher of the DC universe, and the suit matches it. If you haven't seen the suit before here's what it looks like.
View attachment 847370
As soon as I saw the design I fell in love with it, and I knew I needed one. I've typically worked with pepakura and foam, so I wanted to try something new for this one: sculpting. Now, just a warning, I'm 17 and this is my first time sculpting a mask out of clay, so it's not professional quality, WIth that being said, I'm very happy with the end result. So, I did a ton of research and settled on using monster clay for this, I've used it before when sculpting my Nien Nunb mask, and it seemed pretty good for hard edge work. View attachment 847371View attachment 847372View attachment 847373
Sculpting started out a little rough, I had to scrap several versions before this, the difficult part was finding a design that still was recognizable as the outlaw suit, but brought it to the real world and fit the dimensions of my face. Aside from this, the eyes were by far the most difficult part of the sculpt, everything I did seemed to look off or weird compared to the original design. I settled on a design that had longer eyes, that I could make smaller after casting.
View attachment 847375View attachment 847374View attachment 847376

I kept refining the sculpt until I was happy with the end result. One thing I've noticed with props I love is when in a comic or the original source material, the image is roughly flat. And then in the prop, there are distinct, yet subtle textures, it just adds a sense of depth that really sells it for me. With that in mind, I found this metal tube with an engraved texture, and I used this to selectively add a texture to the bottom half of the mask, Which I really though brought some life to the piece. On a second note, I'm not nearly a good enough sculptor to make this look pristine and new coming out of the mold, so I took some time trying to weather this piece before casting to try to get some effects that I normally wouldn't be able to achieve after finishing. Now it was time for mold making. I used Rebound 25, and Plastpaste I to create a basic mold and mold jacket.
IMG_0495.jpegIMG_0496.jpeg
After I finished the complete mold, I roto cast a copy using some leftover resin I had from an earlier project. I used a set of files to clean up the rest of the model and then it was time for painting. Which is honestly my favorite part of the entire thing, it's just amazing to see the whole thing start to come together. I started out with a basic grey primer, and built my way up to several layers of black high gloss lacquer. This was the base for the metal undercoat, I used SprayStix chrome paint for my chrome finish, it's honestly the only non-airbrush paint that I've found that gives a mirror esk finish. After this base coat, I used a masking fluid to mask off select parts and painted over with my crimson red.
I then masked off the red and covered the top with another gloss black, and a light dusting of the SprayStix, which gave it an almost gunmetal finish. From there it was applying some basic weathering techniques, scarring up the metal and taking off the masking fluid. The texture I added on the bottom really pops in this random esk patter, which I think adds a ton of character and wear and tear to the piece.
IMG_0500.jpegIMG_0506.jpegIMG_0509.jpegIMG_0512.jpeg
I had a few more things to deal with, I needed covers to the eyes, and a strap system so it fits on my head. The lenses where easy, I just took an old set of cheap sunglasses and trimmed the filters to match the eye shape. The strapping system came from an old respirator, I just used some super glue and accelerant to force the two together, and voila, the first portion of the suit is completed.
IMG_0531.jpegIMG_0533.jpegIMG_0534.jpeg

I've always been a bit of a Red Hood fanboy, and I never had really picked up too many of his comics until I saw the new revamp. DC is bringing Red Hood to almost be the Punisher of the DC universe, and the suit matches it. If you haven't seen the suit before here's what it looks like.
IMG_0412.JPG
As soon as I saw the design I fell in love with it, and I knew I needed one. I've typically worked with pepakura and foam, so I wanted to try something new for this one: sculpting. Now, just a warning, I'm 17 and this is my first time sculpting a mask out of clay, so it's not professional quality, WIth that being said, I'm very happy with the end result. So, I did a ton of research and settled on using monster clay for this, I've used it before when sculpting my Nien Nunb mask, and it seemed pretty good for hard edge work.
IMG_0451.jpegIMG_0438.jpegIMG_0446.jpeg
Sculpting started out a little rough, I had to scrap several versions before this, the difficult part was finding a design that still was recognizable as the outlaw suit, but brought it to the real world and fit the dimensions of my face. Aside from this, the eyes were by far the most difficult part of the sculpt, everything I did seemed to look off or weird compared to the original design. I settled on a design that had longer eyes, that I could make smaller after casting.
IMG_0456.jpegIMG_0468.jpegIMG_0487.jpeg

I kept refining the sculpt until I was happy with the end result. One thing I've noticed with props I love is when in a comic or the original source material, the image is roughly flat. And then in the prop, there are distinct, yet subtle textures, it just adds a sense of depth that really sells it for me. With that in mind, I found this metal tube with an engraved texture, and I used this to selectively add a texture to the bottom half of the mask, Which I really though brought some life to the piece. On a second note, I'm not nearly a good enough sculptor to make this look pristine and new coming out of the mold, so I took some time trying to weather this piece before casting to try to get some effects that I normally wouldn't be able to achieve after finishing. Now it was time for mold making. I used Rebound 25, and Plastpaste I to create a basic mold and mold jacket.
IMG_0495.jpegIMG_0496.jpeg
After I finished the complete mold, I roto cast a copy using some leftover resin I had from an earlier project. I used a set of files to clean up the rest of the model and then it was time for painting. Which is honestly my favorite part of the entire thing, it's just amazing to see the whole thing start to come together. I started out with a basic grey primer, and built my way up to several layers of black high gloss lacquer. This was the base for the metal undercoat, I used SprayStix chrome paint for my chrome finish, it's honestly the only non-airbrush paint that I've found that gives a mirror esk finish. After this base coat, I used a masking fluid to mask off select parts and painted over with my crimson red. I then masked off the red and covered the top with another gloss black, and a light dusting of the SprayStix, which gave it an almost gunmetal finish. From there it was applying some basic weathering techniques, scarring up the metal and taking off the masking fluid. The texture I added on the bottom really pops in this random esk pattern, which I think adds a ton of character and wear and tear to the piece.
IMG_0497.jpegIMG_0500.jpegIMG_0506.jpegIMG_0509.jpegIMG_0512.jpeg
After this, I only had a few more things to deal with, I needed covers to the eyes, and a strap system so it fits on my head. The lenses where easy, I just took an old set of cheap sunglasses and trimmed the filters to match the eye shape. The strapping system came from an old respirator, I just used some super glue and accelerant to force the two together, and voila, the first portion of the suit is completed.
IMG_0531.jpegIMG_0533.jpegIMG_0534.jpeg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back