THE MANDALORIAN - First look of Star Wars' first-live action series

Similarities to the 1313 Fett.

1313 boba fett - tv mando.jpg

Similarities to the 1313 Fett.

View attachment 846906

That is one of things I love most about Star Wars. Ideas that don't make it in, will almost always get recycled and reused somewhere down the road. Nothing goes to waste. And this isn't the first time they've reused 1313 concept. Concept for Luger based blaster done for 1313 may have been used for the A-180. Or they used slothfurnace's Luger based SWTOR blaster.

OK, anyone like the new lid ?

web589.jpg

I do. I know its not going to win any awards for originality, but then it couldn't anyway.

I like it but it looks very weird on that image. it's like everything is a realistic photo and the helmet is a 3D with quite basic materials. it looks very out of place :unsure

I like the asymmetry. It's looks like the right thigh and left shoulder match. And the left thigh and right shoulder match.

I like it a lot. It is my new wallpaper.

Even before all the Mandalorian stuff started filling the EU, I never felt that Boba was supposed to unique in terms of his basic armor. Yeah, he dressed it up with the scalps and kill stripes and stuff, but ever since the beginning, it was always my understanding that there were at least a few other people like him out in the galaxy. Maybe not nearly as good as he is at catching bounties; maybe on a wholly different path than being a BH. But out there nonetheless.

I am assuming the addition of a ridge up across the center of the dome to make crusade-esque cross across the face is no accident. Maybe that is a hint at to where they’re going with this mystery character.

I just hope that this turns out better than Favreau’s last sci-fi/Western mash-up.

Last edited:
I recently had it pointed out to me over in the Entertainment section that what I subjectively took away from the first couple films when I was young was objectively wrong, so I'm going to pay it forward. ;) :p

Gutted they have overdone the Mandalore thing. It was better having Fett as a one off type character, no idea anything about him I always liked to think his armour could have been cobbled together from his captures. Now he is just one in the crowd - boring. Another example of ooh the fans like this guy let's milk it for everything it's got.
I feel exactly the same way Marv

His armor was unique... now it’s just military issue...

Even at the time, I remember -- from the Marvel Comics adaptation, the novelization, the storybook, and the ESB Sketchbook compiled by Joe Johnston and Nilo Rodis Jamero -- that Boba stood out from the other bounty hunters assembled. He was described as the most feared/notorious bounty hunter in the galaxy. He was described as wearing a "battered, weapon-covered spacesuit of a type belonging to a race of evil warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars". It took me years to recognize one of the reasons I subconsciously pegged to him: Visual storytelling. That armor has been through twelve kinds of hell, and he's still alive. From the Sketchbook, we got the production backstory of how there was originally going to be a squad of six Imperial "supercommandos from the Mandalore system" hunting Our Heroes, and that this got distilled down to a single character....

I like, and have always liked, the idea of the Mandalorians having been a people, or an organization. I enjoyed their portrayal in the comics pre and post Revan. I also like the idea that they're a scattered and shattered people, and all of the "Goons" have since returned to their own lives, died of incompetence, or otherwise left the Mandalorians, leaving you with the cream of the crop, just out there trying to live by their warrior code, but still make a living off of conflict.

I like the synergy between old EU and new canon. The concept of bas'lan shev'la -- "strategic dispersal". Scatter, go to ground, don't present a single target. A decade or so before TPM, when the New Mandalorians managed to gain ascendancy over their warrior kin, the Clone Wars gives us their point of view ("We exiled all our warriors to Concordia -- they died out years ago."), but as Clone Wars went on, as the new canon started with Marvel's new comics, and as Rebels went into more detail, the warriors just scattered and many pretended to toe the pacifist line until it was safe to re-emerge.

And many in the outlying regions of Mandalorian space seem to have just kept on as before. Rako Hardeen, the Marksman of Concord Dawn, worked as a bounty hunter during the Clone Wars, and wore the armor. Fenn Rau not only mobilized Mandalorian Protectors to fight during the Wars, he also served as a trainer for Republic clone pilots....

As a Boba Fett nerd, I agree with you. I love the character. I love the mannerisms. I even love how he died in the OT. How else could you kill the most competent warrior in the galaxy, besides dumb luck? Plus Boba was a jerk, so he deserved to get finished off, and not left roaming the galaxy. [...] That said, treating him as sacrosanct, or needing him to have survived, and go on to bigger and exploits was unnecessary to me.

He wasn't a jerk -- it was just business. You can't afford to be sentimental when you're a bounty hunter. Meanwhile, I'm one of those who feel he survived ROTJ. Not because of any great love of the character, but because I object to it from a narrative standpoint. I don't like the Special Editions' addition of Boba to the docking bay 94 scene between Han and Jabba. I don't like the implication that he's not a solo agent, but on retainer to Jabba. Between that and the different armor that's supposed to be the same (I'm all for Boba having mission-specific/replacement parts, but that's supposed to be the same helmet, even though the colors are different, the weathering is different, the number, size, and positions of the killstripes are all different...), my headcanon is that ESB Boba is the real Boba. He delvered Han to Jabba, collected his money, and left... And then Jabba let the imposter he keeps on retainer to intimidate local yokels out of the closet again. And that's the twerp who died at the Pit of Carkoon.

That last bit's also directed at Mara Jade's Father and your "went out like a punk" comment. ;) As well...

I also love the fact that they have established that Jango was not a Mandalorian but a pretender with Mandalorian armor.

We only have the New Mandalorian Prime Minister's word on that. I can't think of any reason the New Mandalorians would want to disavow someone wearing the armor of a Mandalorian warrior... :rolleyes At the time of AOTC, George (and the publicity materials) described Jango as "the last Mandalorian". Given the real-world and in-universe timelines, I opt to believe some version of Open Seasons -- that, around the same time the Clone Wars establish that the New Mandalorians were winning out on Mandalore, the traditionalists were at odds on what the "proper" Mandalorian philosophy should be. That was Tor Vizsla and Death Watch versus Jaster Mereel and his "True Mandalorians". As of Episode II, both groups had been wiped out, and Jango was the last man standing. As we have gleaned, other traditionalists were biding their time under the New Mandalorian rule, until the Clone Wars gave them a chance to come out once more. It all works, and not even necessarily from a certain point of view...

One of the old EU stories had Fett as just finding Mando armor pieces on old battlefields, hence why it's all beat up and in mismatched colors.
Also why you see him in different color / part combinations in the films.

This was probably the biggest reason the EU was removed from any official canon standing and is being treated as a grab-bin to draw new canon stories from -- so much contradicts. Depending on where you look, Boba's either: one of three surviving Clone Wars era Mandalorian Protectors, who deserted his comprades and his people when the Empire took over to become a bounty hunter; a stormtrooper who murdered his superior officer and deserted, becoming a bounty hunter; just some guy who wants to be a bounty hunter and scavenges the armor over time... And so on.

Supposed script ideas floating around before ESB came out was Fett was a clone of Han or one of Han's ex-girlfriends.

I never saw any of that. I'll pull out Rinzler's excellent making-of delve to see if I missed something...

On-topic, I am looking forward to this show. :p From Sabine's commentary at the end of Rebels, when this was first announced, I figured it was going to be her search for Ezra out in the Unknown Regions. Now I'm wondering if maybe she went and disappeared, and this guy's gone looking for her. *shrug* We'll find out, and I'm excited for it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to subjectively call anyone that wanders the galaxy killing ANYONE he's paid to kill, a jerk. It's not even that mean a thing to call him. He was a villain, he got punked, I liked it.

That chameleon ain’t job on the tuning fork is expensive

I remember when that paint came out in the late 90s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That chameleon ain’t job on the tuning fork is expensive

I remember when that paint came out in the late 90s

I think it's just bare metal that's been heated in the center (presumably to show that the weapon generates a lot of heat there?) to create the effect. Or just regular paint, made to look like heat annealing. if it were the color changing paint, wouldn't the dark areas be on the inside of the upper lance, and the bottom side of the lower lance, since that's the general angle the picture was taken from?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back