Halliwax's weird V3 theory

Ok, I think it’s time to clarify what nipples are..

V2 nipple with remnants of a rod in the center of it
6c0862f056c99fc6acf0d3d971d83bbc.jpg

V3 nipple-less more like a belly button

ff0cf7c06f259aa19e74ccafddb94561.jpg

Yuma nipple, (positively the nipple is built into the emitter as 1 solid piece) with a blade adapter that slides into the hole of the nipple and locked in place with a set screw (like I made for Tom)
6a2e10bee81703485399c0202290c7ec.jpg

And the nipple of the rancor keeper
67eeaa1ba3b078cc82f19514a687b26c.jpg

So now that we under stand nipples, these nipples we keep talking about are on the V2, and Yuma. Used to attach the blade to the hilt

Nipples are only on these 2 thin necks

The v3 on the other hand, has 1 large hole in the emitter and it looks like to me, the blade slides directly into the emitter and is locked into place by a 5mm grub screw

The stunt blades for the graflex and Vader sabers, that a whole other ball game. They used blades attached to a aluminum cylinder and those were then anchored somehow inside the flash body. They have blades that attach with the bulb release, and they had all kind of ways to attach them, and nothing consistent about it at all

We are wondering why the V3 has a large empty hole, where the nipple is on the v2.

Since the v2 and v3 are from the same wooden master mold you would think the v3 would have a nipple

Many believe the v2 to have a emitter just like the v3 with a large hole, and the nipple we see in it today is removable

Which makes total sense, that’s what the 2 3mm screws would be for under the emitter plate, to lock the nipple into the emitter

JUST like dan starkillers newest V2 builders kit.

But when someone who’s held it in his hands and taken it apart, looked it all over, compared it side by side to other replicas says it is one piece.. heh I tend to believe him.

This is just me, the nipple will be debated like screws vs rivets until Brandon jumps on here laughing and saying what the truth about it really is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don’t take this as me being a jerk, but they could have made the same groove just like dan has done on his FX V2? Unless I’m not understanding you correctly?

And as for the nipple not being painted, totally agree with ya

BUT I had a pretty definitive interview with Scott. He had it in hand and I trust his call.

Not a jerk at all! I’ve just had separate conversations with the owner that lead me in a different direction.

Not a jerk at all! I’ve just had separate conversations with the owner that lead me in a different direction.

Cool I didn’t want it to come off as a jerk, I have the upmost respect for ya. Didn’t want you reading it the wrong way

And Totally understandable! you have your reasons to what you believe, and talking to the owner is a damn good reason! Lol

Maybe one day we will finally get a answer to this dang nipple! Sure would make sense if it were removable

Only thing is we had a member here hold this on his hands and take it apart with Brandon and he can confirm the nipple does not come out of the emitter on the v2

As for the v3, I have no idea if the emitter spins. There is a 3mm screw in the windvane though so I figured that locked the rod from spinning the emitter

You can also see the inside here pretty good

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181010/3c626752fe158224ba77d4596d8ec0db.jpg

cecf9d1a03963ed7c5dfca1c2d6c5723 (2).jpg

There looks to be a rod or shaft in the middle, kinda like what's sticking out of the V2's nipple

Yup I agree, can be seen here as well
2982bede71fc86dfa20bcb221935577f.jpg

I believe the 3mm grub screw in the windvane is pitching that rod and keeping the emitter on the v3

Oh the intense RAGE of jealousy the V3 must have towards the V2....slapped with a lackluster post-production paint job and layers of aluminum tape, while the V2 was obsessed over for years as the “the TRUE hero Saber of Jedi”. And the last indignity, being referred to as “the one that probably never worked”...

The V3 is basically the V2’s “DUFF”.

I do wonder.. (hear me out)

if the "Nipple" was actually designed for the blades and not for the emitter. They might have needed a longer anchor for the base of the blade, so they raised up the support by adding the nipple, lathing it to fit the hole in the emitter, and set screwing it in.

Was there a nipple on specifically the V2 in ANH? if we'er going with the "v2 was the one that worked" that would make sense it had the upgrade and the V3 didn't.

Last edited:
Oh the intense RAGE of jealousy the V3 must have towards the V2....slapped with a lackluster post-production paint job and layers of aluminum tape, while the V2 was obsessed over for years as the “the TRUE hero Saber of Jedi”. And the last indignity, being referred to as “the one that probably never worked”...

The V3 is basically the V2’s “designated ugly fat friend”.

I do believe the V3 got a complete refurbish during the filming of ROTJ

There is behind the scenes footage of Hamill “chopping wood” on Vader in Jedi resulting in the blade flying off of the V3. Evidently the grub screw method of securing the blade was not the most stable method. I imagine they went through a LOT of blades.

Go to the 5:35 mark here:

Last edited by a moderator:
...So now that we under stand nipples, these nipples we keep talking about are on the V2, and Yuma. Used to attach the blade to the hilt

Nipples are only on these 2 thin necks

The v3 on the other hand, has 1 large hole in the emitter and it looks like to me, the blade slides directly into the emitter and is locked into place by a 5mm grub screw

We are wondering why the V3 has a large empty hole, where the nipple is on the v2.

Since the v2 and v3 are from the same wooden master mold you would think the v3 would have a nipple

Many believe the v2 to have a emitter just like the v3 with a large hole, and the nipple we see in it today is removable

Which makes total sense, that’s what the 2 3mm screws would be for under the emitter plate, to lock the nipple into the emitter...

If the v3 is still all one piece how did they tuck copper tape into the groove in the upper neck?!

Yuma's nipple is static and there's too much evidence to prove that the nipple on the V2 is a separate piece. Its orientation from BTS ANH photos differ to that when it was in RotJ and later on in Pop Culture Quest. We know the raw casts and the wood buck do not have the nipple made with them (thanks to the eBay photo and corroboration by vadermania).

I think there's enough photo evidence that the V3 was further along in development than we may give it credit for. In the NASA photo and a few more of it seen "recently," I'm pretty sure the alu tape has severed holding the emitter on and it now semi-freely rotates. There's a few of the recent pics that show it all over the place. So that means that it is machined much like the V2 has been on the insides to at least be allowed that much movement.

I believe the V3 has a nipple, and still retains it; only just truncated and used to secured the emitter to the central rod. The grub screw in the emitter sits too low where the bottom of the V3's emitter hole is. And as far as I know, it's just the one grub screw on the emitter of the V3.

JoeK3rr posited that the V3 may have been gussied up before it was sent to California with the intention that it may be used as in a "hero" shot and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
All this talk about “nipples”...

If you guys say the word "nipple" three more times, while looking in the mirror, Joel Schumacher will appear and begin filming a Batman sequel.

Last edited:
Yuma's nipple is static and there's too much evidence to prove that the nipple on the V2 is a separate piece. Its orientation from BTS ANH photos differ to that when it was in RotJ and later on in Pop Culture Quest. We know the raw casts and the wood buck do not have the nipple made with them (thanks to the eBay photo and corroboration by vadermania).

I think there's enough photo evidence that the V3 was further along in development than we may give it credit for. In the NASA photo and a few more of it seen "recently," I'm pretty sure the alu tape has severed holding the emitter on and it now semi-freely rotates. There's a few of the recent pics that show it all over the place. So that means that it is machined much like the V2 has been on the insides to at least be allowed that much movement.

I believe the V3 has a nipple, and still retains it; only just truncated and used to secured the emitter to the central rod. The grub screw in the emitter sits too low where the bottom of the V3's emitter hole is. And as far as I know, it's just the one grub screw on the emitter of the V3.

JoeK3rr posited that the V3 may have been gussied up before it was sent to California with the intention that it may be used as in a "hero" shot and the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

This all makes sense to me. Here is a comparison between the V3 copper neck and the neck of my ROTJ V3 made from an original ANH metal stunt "blank":

HLs8xYNl.jpg

ql9xfY5l.jpg

The neck on my saber is completely untouched except some light sanding and copper paint. After closer examination of the original V3 neck, my guess is that the emitter had been cut off at one point. I don't think there is any alu or copper tape on the neck, just metal "gunk" which is part of the casting and copper paint.

I now think - based on my personal experience with fitting different lightsaber blades for either decorative or stunt purposes to different lightsaber hilts - that both the V2 and the V3 had metal rods coming out of their emitters during their "stunt days". The replaceable blades were pushed over these rods and secured via small screws in the "base" of the blades - see the two blades in the middle of the following pic:

tTh76fa.jpg

The rod in the V2 was (or still is?) probably going all the way throught the emitter and the grenade part of the saber and was attached to the electric motor, which is - if I'm informed correctly - no longer part of the prop. When the decision was made to turn both the V2 and the V2 into "belt hangers", the rods were simply cut off/shortened.

Last edited:
There is behind the scenes footage of Hamill “chopping wood” on Vader in Jedi resulting in the blade flying off of the V3. Evidently the grub screw method of securing the blade was not the most stable method. I imagine they went through a LOT of blades.

Go to the 5:35 mark here:

https://youtu.be/RIefj6dOhnM

I totally forgot about this video!! Yes!!!

Totally agree with you on the emitter spinning on the v3. The orientation of the screws change between the photos I have located

f6651c865efe997f1d9c313c50549429.jpg

3f96d21c8670ac269d48aaada38f60a1.jpg

Which saber is this? V2 or V3 or none of them? What do you think about that "seam line" on the neck?

https://i.imgur.com/YLSYqxDl.jpg

I think this is the v2, I don’t believe the v3 ever got any screen time in ANH. I don’t believe the v3 was finished and wore a clamp at this time of filming either

Pretty sure what we are seeing is trickery with the lights.. making it look like a seam line

Then again others say there see a seam line here on the v2 as well
1cafda8a520010d45f5491641a047d17.jpg

...But I see paint there

I just want to say, I enjoy everyone’s posts in this thread. This has become one of my favorite threads.

With all this debate I have learned so much more new stuff, and love every minute of it

Great fun guys! Thanks!

I think this is the v2, I don’t believe the v3 ever got any screen time in ANH. I don’t believe the v3 was finished and wore a clamp at this time of filming either

I just want to say, I enjoy everyone’s posts in this thread. This has become one of my favorite threads.

With all this debate I have learned so much more new stuff, and love every minute of it

Great fun guys! Let’s keep it going!

Enjoying it, too :thumbsup

So what do you think, how many working "spinning" Obi lightsabers were made for ANH? I'm guessing they had built two. During my active days in the film industry, even in low budget SciFi productions they always had backup props at hand in case one broke on set in order to carry on with shooting as fast as possible. John (from whom I got my ANH lightsaber blank, the guy who worked on the original mechanized lightsabers for ANH) told me a bit about the production process, from him I learned about the wooden master they made and the metal versions. He also told me he picked the mechanized sabers (Obi & Darth) from trash after production wrapped and keeps them 'til today.

Last edited:
Enjoying it, too :thumbsup

So what do you think, how many working "spinning" Obi lightsabers were made for ANH? I'm guessing they had built two. During my active days in the film industry, even in low budget SciFi productions they always had backup props at hand in case one broke on set in order to carry on with shooting as fast as possible. John (from whom I got my ANH lightsaber blank, the guy who worked on the original mechanized lightsabers for ANH) told me a bit about the production process, from him I learned about the wooden master they made and the metal versions. He also told me he picked the mechanized sabers (Obi & Darth) from trash after production wrapped and keeps them 'til today.

My theory is in post 1 lol

V2 finished with working motor

V3 rushed not motor installed, no clamp until RoTJ

V3 for dueling during ESB because of no clamp it was much more comfortable

Vader stunt rushed to the point it never worked correct and they repainted Luke’s

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back