Astyanax's Rey NN-14 Blaster Build

Astyanax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi there all!

While I've been a lurker for several years now, I've never actually contributed to the RPF. Time for that to change.

I've made a few attempts at prop and costume building in the past on other forums, but always shied away from trying to show my stuff to this august body of makers.

So let me begin by taking you through every painstaking step it's going to require to assemble and properly finish a version of Rey's blaster from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This model is a 3D print, purchased on eBay for $28 (I don't have a 3D printer). It's made out of ABS and based on roadie3rd's popular model.

Here's the first shot of all the parts, laid out.

01-set.jpg

I chose this model because it will give me a chance to improve my sanding, painting and weathering skills, without having to worry about the scratch-building part. I've done plenty of that before. I'm going to use Bill Doran's build on Punished Props as inspiration, but throw in a bit of my own flair, I hope.

Hope you hang out for the full build. I'm gonna learn some new skills!

Bill

Last edited:
The first thing I did was to tape the 4-5 main parts together, in order to get a sense of how this blaster will feel in my hand.

IMG_20181006_153817.jpg

I like a heavy weapon in my hand, and hoo-boy, this thing is unbalanced! I don't really cosplay, so a nice heft is a good thing. Fatigue will not be a concern, as it's not meant to be carried for extended periods.

I'm going to add some lead weight in whatever areas I can (especially toward the back), to get this blaster to feel a little more real. That means picking up some lead weights on Amazon and finding places to add it.

So I took my dremel, and using the cutting bit, I carved out some space in the handle:

IMG_20181006_191143.jpg

Almost went too far on the edge! Luckily, the grips will still cover it.

Next step, a bunch of sanding.

Bill

Last edited:
In order to add weight to the handle, I first weighed down the handle with a 1-2-3 block and poured a very shallow pool of 2-part, 5-minute epoxy into the cavity that I had carved out:

IMG_20181007_150925.jpg

Before the epoxy cured fully, I laid in a few lengths of 1/4" lead fishing wire.

IMG_20181007_154527.jpg

I then pushed the handle down as flat as possible with additional 1-2-3 blocks until the epoxy had fully cured:

IMG_20181007_154501.jpg

I don't know how toxic lead is in this form, but I was careful to only handle it with nitrile gloves. I also had the goal of fully encasing all lead air-tight in this build.

Once the epoxy had cured, I topped off the cavity with Bondo. This had the added benefit of filling that part of the cavity where I had carved too close to the edge.

IMG_20181009_135021.jpg

Once I sand and prime it, there should be no evidence a cavity ever existed. And now I have a heavier handle!

Bill

Lead is only toxic if the fumes are inhaled or ingested. It also takes a long time to build up in your system and long, repeated and numerous exposures. Solid pieces like that are perfectly safe to handle, just wash any residue off your hands before eating or drinking. Gloves are enough for your purposes.
<-- Long time bullet and fishing weight caster.

You done good with the lead, and the blaster is looking good so far.

Thanks Kovnyn so much for the info about lead!

As you can see here, I added some into the grips too, after CAREFULLY carving out some space with my dremel.

IMG_20181011_172804.jpg

NOTE:

Project is on hold till after Halloween. Gotta finish my son's Fortnite costume! :rolleyes:

IMG_20181011_172804.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back