My large x wing prop build ☺

Markas1976

Hello again everyone it's good to be back! I've been busy this summer and now I've got a new prop I'm working on that I am happy so far with and will be delighted with if it keeps on going the way it is so far ☺

DSC_9465.JPG
DSC_9464.JPG

Well like anything u have to start somewhere this is where my x wing I'm working on began ☺
A bunch of spare wood I had lying around from previous builds or that was of other wooden things that was going to be thrown out.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course that alone wouldn't be enough to make this thing but I got very far by seperating old wooden shelf units and all the wood I could muster at home. Including a old kids wooden table that had weakened at the joints ☺

- - - Updated - - -
And here is the kids table that was lying around that I could make use of also

Last edited:
DSC_9468.JPG

So I took a old shelf I had for throwing out its just one of those book-ornament shelves kind around 6-7foot tall ones with shelves like thin planks going across on it. I used the 4 long pieces of wood that would be each corner of the tall shelf and took time to find a position I was happy with for them to look right for a nose. both in terms of shape position and length to sit them out from the mini kids table already mentioned which has become the cockpit due to its shape when I had it upside down and stumbled across while trying to work out how I'd even make this thing lol. ☺

Last edited:
DSC_9467.JPG

OK another angle of this thing I know it's little to look at just now but isn't every prop at one point ☺

- - - Updated - - -

This is the biggest prop I've taken on to make so far and without any 3d printer help or any fancy machinery and im working on this on my own start to finish. I think it's gona be a hell of an achievement if I can pull a worthy x wing ship from the ashes ☺.

Last edited:
DSC_9470.JPG

So I got the early shell of the x wing up onto a table making it easier to work on. Ive now added measured pieces of wood all along the frame to strengthen the body and keep its shape tight there is still more pieces to add for strength yet. ☺
May the force be with you

Last edited:
DSC_9469.JPG

A good side angle early pic which I think shows the scale this ship could be when u consider there will be the rear end section past the back of the end of what you see plus a end piece added to the nose also.

Last edited:
There was no planning to this build similar to all of the previous ones I've made I had small things to go on for the speeder bike and I came up with a basic idea for the tie fighter but with this nothing I had a reunion party on the sat ngt and I began making this on the monday from scraps and what I had lying here on a quite tight budget for bringing materials in and all done by hand ☺
A very long way to go yet tho as u can see

DSC_9472.JPG

Another angle and as u can see I've sat a couple of black bins beside either side of the back of the cockpit roughly where they would line up just to imagine furthur ahead.
U know the bins is the very first things I bought for this build I just seen them and thought of the engines for the x wing a bit before I actually began making it. It's those brain waves I rely on to get me through these builds don't know how they come about but I'm glad they do lol.

Last edited:
DSC_9474.JPG
DSC_9477.JPG

Another angle with bins acting as engine parts

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about gap Inbetween pics and info about x wing there's been a lot going on here at home

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
DSC_9481.JPG
DSC_9482.JPG

Using picnic table and old kitchen table I took advantage of when it was for chucking out everything has its uses both new and old.
Word of advice from a prop maker like myself keep everything u can things can always come in handy and I'm sure most prop makers would agree with me unless they are minted and don't mind chucking every little thing cause they can buy what they like.

- - - Updated - - -
reverse view this time

Last edited:
DSC_9526.JPG

Adding a top plank along the side of the cockpit section now. I spent a while till I was happy with line of it coming off the nose of the x wing. I watched the x wing toy I've had since 1980 till I was pretty happy with the angle and went ahead ☺

Last edited:
DSC_9527.JPG
DSC_9529.JPG
DSC_9530.JPG

Furthur out angle of this side now

- - - Updated - - -

Other side of x wings body this time

- - - Updated - - -

Slight different angle of this side I like how its progressing even though its in the very early stages

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back