Venom (Post-release)

What did you think of Venom?

• Total voters
My friend looked up the showtimes for the release tonight. There were only 9 seats filled.
Oh man, this made me laugh harder than it should. Sony just doesnt get it. I cant believe, after the success of Deadpool and Logan, that studios dont get that R rated characters need to have R rated movies in order for people to like them.

And also good writing. I cant believe Venom said "turd". :facepalm

that's ridiculous. You don't need a movie to be R for people to like them. Venom is just an uninterested character that reeks of 90's edgelordness only surpassed in being boring and cringeyness by Carnage. Nobody cares about Venom without Spider-man and he's just not that great to stand on his own, the closest they even got in the comics was the whole Flash Thompson: Agent Venom thing, and even that was a snore

Just got back from seeing it. Packed theater, lots of people excited and cheering at parts of the film. I definitely enjoyed it despite the fact it has zero connection to the MCU. I don't think its nearly as bad as people have made it out to be. Its at least as good as any of the MCU films that aren't fan favorites.

that's ridiculous. You don't need a movie to be R for people to like them. Venom is just an uninterested character that reeks of 90's edgelordness only surpassed in being boring and cringeyness by Carnage. Nobody cares about Venom without Spider-man and he's just not that great to stand on his own, the closest they even got in the comics was the whole Flash Thompson: Agent Venom thing, and even that was a snore
You clearly didnt read my post. I didnt say that all movies need to be rated R for people to like them. I said R rated CHARACTERS need to have R rated MOVIES. It just limits what you can and cant do with them, and studios do it cause in the long run they think it will make more money. Meanwhile, the filmmakers have their hands tied and the movie suffers. Edgelordness? Maybe Im too old to know what that is, but it sounds like some goofball buzzword. Clearly you havent read the comics or are invested in the characters so saying this to you might go over your head, but Carnage is just a mindless one dimensional character. All he does is kill stuff at random for no reason other than him being insane. Now THATS boring. I do agree with you on that, Agent Venom was a stupid idea. I didnt even finish the run.

This was bad. One of those movies that tries to pass off actors being dull and boring as being deep and serious.

It's no good if the Marvel movies that it resembles the most are Eric Bana Hulk and Ghost Rider.

The moment they started using the comic panel shots just like that Hulk movie I checked out any hope of the movie being good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting alternative universe look at venom without the endless lust to be joined with Spider-Man .

i was not interested in the Spider-Man verse cartoon until the after credits not even scene but short story they got spider-ham , fricking spider-ham got to see it now !

This was bad. One of those movies that tries to pass off actors being dull and boring as being deep and serious.

It's no good if the Marvel movies that it resembles the most are Eric Bana Hulk and Ghost Rider.

The moment they started using the comic panel shots just like that Hulk movie I checked out any hope of the movie being good.

Comic panel shots??.... I dont think you understood what was going on. The only part that did anything similar to that was the part showing the opening for Eddie's news show, which was literally the opening montage of his show to show you what he does for a living. It wasnt actually part of the "film" editing.

I loved this, they struck the balance of making Eddie likable and real without making him a villain, to the point that it feels like its gonna be hard to make him one later. The slow reveal of Venom after building up Eddie's character was surprising too. Didnt go over the top at the end like most films do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a lot of people are being sheep, listening to uneducated reviews that are biased and peddling both bull**** and outright lies.
There was a collider review where these 2 talentless schmucks (who haven't read a comic in their life)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjlEjZwavE

reviewing said it was nothing like the comics which is outright lies.

The movie is based on both Lethal Protector and Invasion Of The Symbiotes as any real comic fans know already.

Sure, its not part of the disney marvel universe and a lot of people are getting salty and their panties in a twist because Sony are making movies based on properties they OWN, ie they own them, not Disney MCU, so not sure why so many are crying over a company making movies which they own the rights to.

I thought it was a good solid 7 out of 10, great action, and Tom Hardy is excellent.

Its a box office smash so that is great news. Bring on the sequels and other movies.

- - - Updated - - -

I predict a flop. It looks unfinished.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4444&p=.htm

- - - Updated - - -

My friend looked up the showtimes for the release tonight. There were only 9 seats filled.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4444&p=.htm

^ I second this review.A lot of humor,a good story and the violence was 'proportional' ; not as gruesome as you would expect from a character like Venom.Even the parts where graphic action was suggested were more or less censored,which is why I question this whole age-limit/separate-from-the-MCU-initiative.Venom is a character from the Spider-man comics/movies and I feel that's where he belongs.

So my only 2 regrets after seeing this movie:
- Venom not being a part of the MCU (yet)
-Cletus Cassidy looking like Kyle Broflofski from South Park

Last edited:
Whats with the spoiler tags in the post release?

I was actually pleasantly surprised with this movie, but then again, my expectations were really low. But I thought it was pretty good! I thought it was going to be way worse, whoever made the trailer should be fired. I liked the She Venom reference, call backs to the comics, the spiderman cartoon from 94, and the carnage shot that looked like the comic. However, I dont think Woody Harrelson should be playing Carnage AT ALL and I couldnt help but laugh at his stupid wig. That was the only part of the movie where I groaned. I also thought Carlton Drake should have been casted by someone else. The fight scene with Venom and Riot was a little too CG/motion blur but overall it was a good movie. Would totally watch again, especially since I have AMC A list!

They got away with this being PG-13 but if they dont make the sequel with Carnage rated R, Im seriously not going to bother with it. It would be pointless.

Yeah Woody is WAAAAAY too mellow of a dude to play someone who needs to be 100% unhinged at all times. He needs to not just be creepy, but be high energy and wacky. Even though he's older now, Willem DaFoe was always my choice.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back