My 31" Nautilus build

Xfp4Yq.jpg

PXw7AQ.jpg

So what did you use to get such a great patina on the model, looks just like weathered brass. I see this listing on their site "Disney Nautilus in 48th scale " wonder when and how much?

Last edited by a moderator:
So what did you use to get such a great patina on the model, looks just like weathered brass. I see this listing on their site "Disney Nautilus in 48th scale " wonder when and how much?

I painted the entire boat with brass first after priming with a black primer. To weather the boat I went about then airbrushing the model with RUST(Model Master), Then I mixed a brown/green combination using Tamiya...And sprayed,drybrushed and sprayed it again. I didn't pre shade the model because it looks like...preshading.

I then went about weathering it more Drybrushing and Air brushing. Using a light green, I went about the boat to create the Patina. It's easy to go over the top on this so you need to discipline yourself to stop when it's there. Don't over do it...

I painted the entire boat with brass first after priming with a black primer. To weather the boat I went about then airbrushing the model with RUST(Model Master), Then I mixed a brown/green combination using Tamiya...And sprayed,drybrushed and sprayed it again. I didn't pre shade the model because it looks like...preshading.

I then went about weathering it more Drybrushing and Air brushing. Using a light green, I went about the boat to create the Patina. It's easy to go over the top on this so you need to discipline yourself to stop when it's there. Don't over do it...

You nailed it. Got to try that out on a few other items I am working on, thanks.

If you arn't old enough or luck enough to have ridden the Disney ride it was one of my favorite rides back in the day. I remember looking at the drained channels as they tore up the old ride wondering how I could make off with one of the subs.

Instead of just having pictures of my work on a table top or a video of the same, I like my builds doing their thing. I have a lot of fun bringing a model to life. Hopefully others can enjoy this as well...

I have added a full Salon interior to my build. The lighting operates independently of the other features on the model.

I have a Closed Iris if I want to close up the window. I also added raised breathers another display option which can be switched back to the closed position.
yzTrrK.jpg

wXV6IQ.jpg

Z10QPk.jpg

fabvs1.jpg

CUbU3W.jpg

z5x48G.jpg

ZQxPxt.jpg

OyVVM6.jpg

yeah,
I'm late to the game on this thread. I did a search and here it is. Great work dude, looks awesome!! i did one of these a while back and threw it on Ebay for kicks, sold it to a guy in Germany and actually made a few bucks. Then I bought another one, from Bob this time with all the extra goodies. it's waiting in the closet for me to take a break from SW stuff. I did Bob's rusting process on the first one, works great, a little messy but the results were pretty good. my skills have vastly improved since then (thanks to a lot of you guys) So build number two should be much more fun and much better build all together. killer looking boat Captain!(y)

Well, nearly a year later after losing my job in AZ and moving to WI...got settled into a new house and decided to pull the 31" Nautilus out of moth balls. got started a week or so ago, slow going as I intend to really do this one up in supreme fashion. full interior salon, enhanced wheel house like before with some Shapeways pieces through out. also the brass railing for the spiral staircase. last time I did the full staircase down the main hatch to the chart room, and the chart room which extends to the forward hatch which will be open and a ladder and lights below. the rear hatch open with ladder and a few different color flicker LED's to simulate the engine room lights. This time I found some nice acrylic domes in the right sizes to replace the crap windows and light lenses, they're on KitKraft.com. Don't as what they cost for enough to do everything...it was horrid. But I think it will be worth it. I plan to start a thread soon and will call it, "2020 Nautilus" so keep an eye out if interested
I've had a horribly rough 2019 but I think I'm starting out my return to building with a good project.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back