Hasbro Infinity Gauntlet repaint - why would someone do this?

TxBabyHuey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I bought one to make this for a Guardians of the Galaxy pinball topper, but wanted to post some progress pictures. What comes out of the box does NOT look like what is pictured on the box. These are actually just cast in brown plastic and look awful.

So I wanted to do a repaint as this was one of my favorite Marvel movies, although I felt silly for having to wait through 18 other movies just to get there.

But anyway I did the Alclad route. I had planned on using clear Tamiya yellow paint and after research saw that there isn't much you can do to tint Alclad without completely dulling out the chrome.

So I read about the Liquitex Varnish and tried that. I had to do multiple coats while the pieces were separated, but need to do one more coat as it's assembled now.

Anyway, here are the first rounds of pictures.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 750
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 491
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 488
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 500
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 534
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 569
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 439
I actually just got one with the intent of doing the same. Yours came out awesome. Can't wait to try playing with mine!

I actually just got one with the intent of doing the same. Yours came out awesome. Can't wait to try playing with mine!

Disassembly and assembly are not difficult, just video yourself doing it so you remember how it all goes together. LOTS AND LOTS!!!! of screws to keep track of. The paint that is on there does not create any visible layers, but I still lightly scrubbed the whole thing with a scotch brite pad. Then I didn't use filler primer because I didn't want to lose the detail.

Alclad is tricky, but just be patient with your layers of black gloss. And when you apply the liquitex this is the tricky part. The guy whose youtube video I watched on tinting alclad tells you to use a brush to apply the gloss varnish, but it does not go on as he said. He didn't make a video on how to brush it on properly, he just said he did it. Kinda frustrating.

I used my airbrush to apply it, but be ready to clean your airbrush after each application, it gunks it up something awful.

Apply the alclad at 20psi on your airbrush, but apply the varnish about 40psi. It runs slightly but it evens out. This wasn't easy.

damn, that gold looks fantastic, awesome work! i'll agree, that out-of-the-box brown is pretty hideous.

looks good, will you be dumbing the shiny gold down to match what's seen on screen?

Probably not. There were inconsistent textures through the movie, some were shiny, some were semi glossy, some looked matte. I kind of like how it looks so I'll probably keep it. If the glove had been 100% accurate I would have gone ham trying to get it close. Once again this will be for a custom pinball machine topper so I think it can be idealized.

I bought one to make this for a Guardians of the Galaxy pinball topper, but wanted to post some progress pictures. What comes out of the box does NOT look like what is pictured on the box. These are actually just cast in brown plastic and look awful.

So I wanted to do a repaint as this was one of my favorite Marvel movies, although I felt silly for having to wait through 18 other movies just to get there.

But anyway I did the Alclad route. I had planned on using clear Tamiya yellow paint and after research saw that there isn't much you can do to tint Alclad without completely dulling out the chrome.

So I read about the Liquitex Varnish and tried that. I had to do multiple coats while the pieces were separated, but need to do one more coat as it's assembled now.

Anyway, here are the first rounds of pictures.

Wow that looks amazing. So in order to get this effect, you used gloss black, followed by alclad chrome? And then gold, followed by varnish?

Wow that looks amazing. So in order to get this effect, you used gloss black, followed by alclad chrome? And then gold, followed by varnish?

No so you primer, gloss black, then alclad. Then you take the Liquitex Gloss Varnish and add drops of yellow, red, and maybe purple food coloring to get the dark gold. Then you spray that on top of the chrome.

Looks good.So you used Alclad gold?What exact version?And whats the clearcoat?
Alclad is not really solid...when you move the fingers it could be scratched away very fast.

Did you also closed the screwholes?I will do that on mine because this makes it look like a toy in my eyes.

Looks good.So you used Alclad gold?What exact version?And whats the clearcoat?
Alclad is not really solid...when you move the fingers it could be scratched away very fast.

Did you also closed the screwholes?I will do that on mine because this makes it look like a toy in my eyes.

No it's alclad chrome with a special varnish. Anything else dulls the chrome.

Here's a better shot

Attachments

• IMG_20181006_141604384.jpg
    IMG_20181006_141604384.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 264
No so you primer, gloss black, then alclad. Then you take the Liquitex Gloss Varnish and add drops of yellow, red, and maybe purple food coloring to get the dark gold. Then you spray that on top of the chrome.

Wow, awesome. I'll be sure to try this out once I get my gauntlet. Thanks!

No it's alclad chrome with a special varnish. Anything else dulls the chrome.

Here's a better shot

Ah great...and this is really sold when you moving the fingers?Could you post a pic of the varnish you used.I´ve seen lots of Liquitex Varnish versions on amazon.

Made progress this weekend. This will go on top of the pinball and there's more to come. I think I'll have this painted by next weekend

Attachments

• IMG_20181014_144032022.jpg
    IMG_20181014_144032022.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20181014_144022758.jpg
    IMG_20181014_144022758.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20181014_141748305.jpg
    IMG_20181014_141748305.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20181014_113652059.jpg
    IMG_20181014_113652059.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_20181014_113628673.jpg
    IMG_20181014_113628673.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 253
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back