Han Solo..anyone?

jbarela

Hello all, trying to do the last minute costume and need my rpf family help to locate the best costume pieces. My biggest concern is the vest..Solos ANH vest seems to be very small on him and the vest I saw online is a huge full size vest which does not look right at all. Who makes the best vest,pants and shirt? Who is making the best ANH belt? Thank you all in advance. Super excited..

I made a few belts, but it is really easy for you as well. I can help you out with that if you like.

Thank you for your response..hoping to find o e made already. I must express my disappointment here though..been a member for almost 20 years here..115 views but only you offered to help. Guess this is a lost cause forum these days..

Okay, I'll bite.

I clicked on this thread expecting to see a Han Solo WIP (or completed) thread, based on the thread's title. Seeing as I have zero knowledge about Solo's getup, and seeing that you were asking for people who DID have knowledge of his getup, I clicked away. Zero help, I know.

Maybe change the thread title to something more specific? It's a bit vague at the moment. If you want help ID'ing vendors, why don't you say so in the thread title? The more specific you can be, the better. Maybe the next 115 people to check-in to this thread might actually point you in the right direction.

SB

I have dressed up as various characters a few times. I figured out that tightening up things is usually important for making it look right. I would experiment with safety pins until I figured out what I wanted and then have alterations done at the seams.

When I tried to achieve it with off-the-shelf items (just choosing smaller sizes) it wouldn't work. The arms/shoulders and legs would be getting too small before the waist/abdomen got small enough. I usually ended up with slight under-sizing + more fabric removed at the seams.

If you are just doing it for one night, you can use safety pins and not bother with real alterations. Get several dozen pins (yes, that many) and do a thorough job of "sewing up" things on the inside. It won't be especially comfy but it will get you through an evening just fine.

Another thing with real alterations - the better job you do at form-fitting it to your body, the less room you will have later in the evening when you are full of food & drink. (Or when it's 3 years later and you have put on 5-10 pounds). It's easy to get carried away with the altering once you see how much it helps the costume look better. Resist the temptation to overdo it.

Last edited:
I mean this lightheartedly when I say that the reason you probably didn't get the response and immediate help you wanted is because what you did was basically the equivalent of walking into an all-you-can-eat buffet, said the word "food", and stood there with your mouth open waiting for someone to feed you. LOL
There are literally hundreds of threads all about Han's costume, belt, accessories, blaster, etc. and if you've been here for almost 20 years you should know how to use the search feature to find the "buffet" of information available specifically about what you're asking. ;)
115 views and 1 reply isn't a bad thing. You're talking about thousands of people hitting the forum non stop. All that means is 115 people clicked your thread to find out what it was, didn't have anything to add or were unable to help, and moved on. Good luck with your build, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Last edited:
Okay, I don't know how deep you're into screen-accuracy, but as you are talking "last minute" I guess this might be negotiable...

I did a last-minute for the SOLO-Premiere:

Ymza4Gz.jpg

Found a "kurta"-shirt and some tight blue pants on ebay. Had the pants filt-printed with the blood-stripes.
Also found a used self-made belt and a blaster.
As a vest I took a simple black tactical / fisher vest like this one:

s-l500.jpg

Removed the zipper and a few pockets, flipped over some inches on the lower part, sew them tight - voila!

I know that this is far from my usual fanatism - but it was also last-minute! ;)

Okay, I don't know how deep you're into screen-accuracy, but as you are talking "last minute" I guess this might be negotiable...

I did a last-minute for the SOLO-Premiere:

View attachment 846371

Found a "kurta"-shirt and some tight blue pants on ebay. Had the pants filt-printed with the blood-stripes.
Also found a used self-made belt and a blaster.
As a vest I took a simple black tactical / fisher vest like this one:

View attachment 846372

Removed the zipper and a few pockets, flipped over some inches on the lower part, sew them tight - voila!

I know that this is far from my usual fanatism - but it was also last-minute! ;)

P.S. If you are really looking for "the best" (and money is not an issue...) you could also grab all you need from Magnoli, of course (magnoliclothiers is his online-shop. You'll find Solo-Outfits in all variants. But I don't know how fast he'll be able to ship)

(Sorry! Pressed the wrong button for adding the "P.S." :facepalm Thus the double-post...)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back