How far are you will to go with accurate costuming?

Whiskey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently came across one of the rarest items for a scout trooper.

the Hi-Tec Sierra Sneaker IV
2dakhg1.jpg

Naturally, my original intention was to convert it into wearable scout boots true to the original prop.

But because of the rarity of the boots I was strongly considering using something that won’t leave permanent damage or residue, but strong enough to hold the boot covers in place for a static mannequin.

Would you...

leave them alone?
full convert per production and display?
full convert per production and wear having the one of the most accurate costumes at the con? (Bragging rights)
minimal convert with no damages to the boots but for looks alone

by the way, I also have the vintage esprit gloves to go with it

Attachments

• 81CA6D3D-28F5-4A55-87ED-26797FD06BF3.jpeg
    81CA6D3D-28F5-4A55-87ED-26797FD06BF3.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 118
I'd have to ask myself why they are rare, if they have value/ demand aside from Star Wars costuming, if full conversion lessens any perceived value in other markets, and if I would be willing to sell them.

Personally, if I went through the effort and expense to acquire them, I'd convert them without a second thought, and likely would never sell them (unless it was to another Scout Trooper costumer).

So, so envious. I can only speak for me, but I'd use them to create a 3D model of the sole, rework it to cover a range of sizes, 3D print them, send them along with many pictures and a matching fabric swatch to ImperialBoots and CrowProps so they could get to work replicating decent replicas. Then I'd keep the originals on-hand in case they were needed in the future.

But then, while I have people I'm helping with Scouts and Shadow Scouts, I'm not doing one for myself.

So, so envious. I can only speak for me, but I'd use them to create a 3D model of the sole, rework it to cover a range of sizes, 3D print them, send them along with many pictures and a matching fabric swatch to ImperialBoots and CrowProps so they could get to work replicating decent replicas. Then I'd keep the originals on-hand in case they were needed in the future.
This! Do this! That way you don't damage a rare item and you will help create perfect replicas.

The only reason I'd hesitate on a full conversion and wearing them is if I was concerned about damaging them, either in the conversion process or the wearing. So it depends on how difficult the conversion will be and how sturdy they seem for wear. If it's a relatively easy conversion and they seem sturdy enough to wear, I'd say go for it

Contacted crowprops.

Anyone know the email mail address to imperialboots?

cant seem to locates on their website.

I'll tell ya -- I'd love replicas of just these base boots in the original wheat color as well as in black, and then be the one to do the modding into Scout boots. Having accurate full-on replicas available would be nice, too, but I'm personally not a fan of the chunky Velcro overlap on the backs of the gaiters and would rather have a more seamless closure. Being mindful of 501st requirements, I'd have the gaiters able to be attached at the arch and below the ankles, so as to be able to swap between film-accurate and tidier-than-film-accurate as needed.

So if you wanted to suggest to Gio and Vince doing both a passable replica of the base boot and full-up Scout boots, in each color... ;)

Well...still no replies.

If I don’t hear back from them, I plan on moving forward with leather covers with minimal adhesion around the hard rubber for display only.

I ran a 48 hour cure test on the armorers favorite (strong, yet temporary) glue - E6000 on the hard rubber trim
Holds the leather on tight and with enough force they can be pulled apart without damage

0566D8A7-841F-4023-A53A-354B72BB7109.jpeg2F229296-C3E1-4617-9E2D-28F3228FFD82.jpeg

For those who don’t know, the brown trim is also hard rubber
D0118CCC-46A6-4DA3-8100-E347B87DDFB3.jpeg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back