Bandai Snowspeeder WIP - first model

thepoynt

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all! I normally hang out in the prop side of the forums, but just "finished" my first model kit since I was a little kid, and thought I'd share what I've got so far and see if anyone has tips on how to improve it (or just advice for me moving forward).

I'm really happy with what I've got, but I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement. Especially when it comes to decals - I just applied them before airbrushing dullcote over the whole thing, and they ended up lighter than the surface around them...

Also any advice on how to get acrylic paints to adhere to the plastic would be amazing. I used model master since it's already nice and thin for airbrushing, but it's extremely non-durable. Maybe I should prime with a enamel first, then I could use acrylic over that?

Anyway, here she is:

20180930_183810.jpg

20180930_183822.jpg

20180930_183938.jpg

I use Mr. Finisher 1500 black for a primer. Best one I've used. Needs to be thinned though. I use Mr Color Thinner to thin it.

Hey all! I normally hang out in the prop side of the forums, but just "finished" my first model kit since I was a little kid, and thought I'd share what I've got so far and see if anyone has tips on how to improve it (or just advice for me moving forward).

I'm really happy with what I've got, but I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement. Especially when it comes to decals - I just applied them before airbrushing dullcote over the whole thing, and they ended up lighter than the surface around them...

Also any advice on how to get acrylic paints to adhere to the plastic would be amazing. I used model master since it's already nice and thin for airbrushing, but it's extremely non-durable. Maybe I should prime with a enamel first, then I could use acrylic over that?

Anyway, here she is:

View attachment 845821

View attachment 845822

View attachment 845823

Looks great! So you used the exterior decals but painted the cockpit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! So you used the exterior decals but painted the cockpit?

Yep! I liked the realism the text and "hazard stripes" added, but I didn't at all like the decals on the inside. And maybe that's because I don't know how to properly apply decals; For me, the decals just sit on top of all the interesting 3D controls, and so give them color but no depth. Seemed kinda pointless. but if there's a way to get decals to get more flexible and form around those intricate details, I'm all ears!

You use something like Microscale's Micro Sol. It's a liquid that softens the decals, allowing them to conform more easily to complex topography.

Last edited:
You use something like Microscale's Micro Set. It's a liquid that softens the decals, allowing them to conform more easily to complex topography.

I’ve tried to use Tamiyas Mark Fit Strong but I can’t seem to get the decals to really melt in. Is it possible to get a good look with decals on surfaces that have a lot of raised detail? Any threads discuss this?

I’ve tried to use Tamiyas Mark Fit Strong but I can’t seem to get the decals to really melt in. Is it possible to get a good look with decals on surfaces that have a lot of raised detail? Any threads discuss this?

MicroSol will 'melt' the decals over complex surfaces. I, however, agree with Scarecrow Joe. The only exception is the many tiny decals that are little words, etc like on the Falcon. Any interior detailing I hand paint.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I too like the look of painted details over decals for the interior. It just takes longer :) But you don't get anything good without working for it...

Any tips on getting decals on flat, matte surfaces to blend in better? Either you put them on and they're glossy and don't blend in, or you put them on, topcoat over them, and the background of the decal ends up slightly lighter in color than the paint around it, and it ends up looking like a thin sticker. I wish there was a way to just transfer the pigment off a decal, like one of those kid's temporary tattoos - that would be amazing.

MicroSol would dissolve the decal enough where you really shouldn't run into that issue. If that doesn't help, I would look at carefully cutting down the decal to eliminate the excess edging.

MicroSol would dissolve the decal enough where you really shouldn't run into that issue. If that doesn't help, I would look at carefully cutting down the decal to eliminate the excess edging.

I tried trimming down a couple of them, but of course only after I had applied several and then noticed the problem :)

I'm definitely going to pick up some micro sol before the next model project - after doing some reading on it it seems like pretty great stuff. Thanks!

Nice work on the model, it looks great!

My two cents:
a) Priming definitely helps with paint sticking to a model. I haven't tried anything other than good old auto primer.
b) I haven't done any decals yet (apart from when I was a kid, and I sucked at it), but I've read good things about using Future derivatives as a MicroSet replacement.
There's a whole post about the all wonderful uses of this magic fluid here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Nice work on the model, it looks great!

My two cents:
a) Priming definitely helps with paint sticking to a model. I haven't tried anything other than good old auto primer.
b) I haven't done any decals yet (apart from when I was a kid, and I sucked at it), but I've read good things about using Future derivatives as a MicroSet replacement.
There's a whole post about the all wonderful uses of this magic fluid here: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Incorrect. Future and Micro Set solution are COMPLETELY different substances with COMPLETELY different uses. One does not substitute the other. Future could be used as a sealer over decals, Micro Set acts helping the surface, cleaning it to help adhesion of the decal. Micro Sol helps in softening the decal to help adhesion over irregular, curved surfaces.

Micro Set is just vinegar... Micro Sol does help in contouring the decal to the surface by 'melting' it. Future does not do that and is used primarily as a sealer. The most important product I've found when applying decals is Micro Sol.

- - - Updated - - -

I do agree, though, that you should prime coat your model.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back