Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders kit Tutorial

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders Kit Tutorials

as of 8/30/19 Starkiller has a few remaining builders kits in his shop. if you are thinking of building one, grab it now! he has said he's never doing another v2 again. dont live in regret
www.atstarsend.com
v2150_expanded_2.jpg

TUTORIAL INDEX
V2 Hole location, Drilling + Tapping

V2 Spinning Emitter Tutorial

V2 Mystery Chunk and Cone knob mods

V3 Hole locations, Drilling + Tap

V3 Clamp Hole locations + Drilling

-updated 1/19/20

VIDEO INDEX

V2 + V3 Assembly

V2 Edition

V3 Edition

TOOL INDEX
- 1"x1" angle iron
- Straight Edge
- Center punch
- Counter Sink Drill bit
- Blue Tape
- Micrometers
- 1/8th Drill bit
- 5/16th Drill bit
- 3mm x 0.5 Tap
- 2.5mm Drill bit
- 5mm x 0.80 Tap
- 4.20 Drill bit
- 6mm x 1.00 Tap
- 5mm Drill bit
- 8mm Drill bit
- Power Drill/ Drill Press

PAINT & WEATHERING INDEX

V2 Throne Room Edition

V2 Alec Guiness Edition
...coming REAL soon

V3 ROTJ Edition
...coming soon

template.png

V3ClampTemplate.png

Last edited:
Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders Kit Tutorial
V2 Edition
ckkuY26.jpg

Tools used in this Tutorial
(but not required)

3ETdxm9.jpg

- 1"x1" angle iron
- Straight Edge
- Center punch
- Blue Tape
- Micrometers
- 3mm x 0.5 Tap
- 2.5mm Drill bit
- 5mm x 0.80 Tap
- 4.20 Drill bit
- 6mm x 1.00 Tap
- 5mm Drill bit
____________________________​

To begin, we have to thank trooper trent for taking the time out of his day and converting my hand made templates into downloadable, printable version. that version can be downloaded in this post, attached below. please follow his instructions here to scale them correctly!

Instructions for sizing:
Print at full size and it should fit. But just to be sure, the image should be printed at 593 x 644 pixels
This should give the entire thing a size of about 170.392mm x 156.889mm.

View attachment 845243

If printing in MS paint, the imagine size is at the bottom.
azS3vGT.png

Either way, just print at 100% rather then shrinking it to fit
xacq44N.png

Let the tutorial begin!

Now that you have templates printed out, cut out the booster and pommel section. making sure to cut exactly on the lines.
Mghrhxr.jpg

Next we are going to take our 1" angle iron and cut it to roughly 6 inchs. Now place the angle iron flat on the booster, centering it on the 4mm grub screw. With our pencil, now mark a line on the booster, using the 1" angle iron as a guide. BE SURE to have the pencil at a 90* angle with the angle iron so the line is perfect.

Don't forgot to continue the mark into the pommel recess, that line we are going to use later!

we must make sure the pommel is in the correct orientation. You want the pommel cube right of the D ring, to be centered with the 4mm grub screw in the booster. like below.

0Patr3Z.jpg

FjyWkiB.jpg

Now this is going to look familiar, we are going to cut small pieces of tape and tape the patterns we cut out on the booster and pommel recess. Now pay attention and make sure the Booster Template is on the pencil line we made. making sure the pencil is in 1/2" through the grub screw

2kgGt65.jpg

Another very important thing is, we have to make sure the printer printed these templates out to the correct scale. if its the right scale, the template should wrap completely around the booster, JUST like trents stencils! if there is a large gap between the template this is a problem and its not to scale.. try printing them out a little larger and try again. if you decide to go with it and use the smaller template, the Cone knob will be in the wrong location...
Z9XFK5R.jpg

Now that our template is on correctly, we are going to use a center punch to create a little dent for our drill bit to start in. if you have never used a center punch before it is very easy and works amazingly!

qHq994l.jpg

if you dont want to break down and buy a center punch... which i highly recommend purchasing if you plan on doing more lightsabers.. you can always use a nail and hammer.. this isn't 100% right way of doing it, but can be pulled off right.. again i highly recommend the center punch
7AEEZRz.jpg

now we are going to put on the mystery chunk template. double check and make sure the pommel is still clocked in the right orientation, then stick the mystery chunk template on the pencil line you made! are you excited yet?!

3BGcJ98.jpg

The dot for the mystery chunk so be located here on the pommel cube, this will make the mystery chunk sit half and half in line with the cube

HzyJeLy.jpg

use the center punch once more and punch that sucker!

5tPgbol.jpg

Now we need to pay attention... we are going to drill and tap for the cone knob. The Cone knob Dan made for us is beautiful. it has a 6mm x 1.00 thread pitch. so we will need a 6mm x 1.00 tap, and a 5mm drill bit to drill for the tap. these can be purchased from mcmastercarr. just go to post #1 here in the thread and click the links to go right to the website with the correct part numbers.

you may also have some luck purchasing on eBay and amazon

maOvKQ8.jpg

With the booster flat on the table, you may want to put some cardboard under the ring section to let the saber sit perfectly flat. Carefully, try and hold the drill at a 90* angle and drill all the way through with the 5mm drill bit.

in my video at the end i show how to use a drill like a drill press but using the wall as a guide, check it out

ZUCFpae.jpg

QDjJVbz.jpg

Now comes time for the tapping. You want to use a cutting oil to help the tap cut through the threads. I am not a machinist, nor is my father but we have built some pretty crazy sh%t. and he always told me to tap until its tight, turn 1/4 turn, then back all the way out, clean the threads and do it again, wait for tight, turn 1/4 of a turn, back all the way out. SLOW is the key part here!! DO NOT RUSH!!

x1qEHmg.jpg

Now comes time for the famous Mystery Chunk..
svYhevy.jpg

The under side of the leather tool is thin, but then it slowly progresses wider for a more comfortable grip in the hand. we will have to sand this down to make it all one size, and then shove that in the hole we drill. so the thinnest part of the leather tool is 4.13 or so.

I personally threw my leather tool on the lathe, and turned it down to 4.10, because I have a 4.20mm drill bit i will use on the V3 this should slip right in.

gUhpUwc.jpg

BUT not everyone has a lathe... So i have done this in the past with bolts. I put the leather tool in a power drill, and used sand paper to turn it down. this takes time, but works! you can even use a file, to speed up the process, we only have to shave off 1mm or so..

6e1xeCe.jpg

d6WenS4.jpg

Again, i turned mine on my lathe so i cheated... you can easily cut it with pliers

gGFZB6H.jpg

then sanded the edges on my bench sander to remove the sharp edges
8hfTtzu.jpg

Now i am not one to do comparisons, but since these are both from Dan. I figured theres no harm and i'd throw this up there, i also like this picture a lot with the 2 chunks

pgSl2kC.jpg

with the hole being 4.20 if it still is tight, just keep running the leather tool in the drill chuck with the sand paper until it goes in. if you take your time, you can do it so its a tolerance tight fit, and no glue would be required. if the hole is too big, you can easily dab a little e6000 on it and let it sit over night.

cT4UGAI.jpg

And thats all to it on installing the Cone knob and mystery chunk.

8bVngbc.jpg

The last thing we need to do is add the milling circle in the pommel cube.

This circle can be seen on the 2nd pommel recess from the left of the D ring cube.
4d60c24184edd7ec4022ee474ce4b6bd.jpg

Dan Starkiller came up with this clever trick! And I love it!

Your best bet is to put the pommel in a vise, this will ensure it staying straight and allow you to heat it up.

9a357e6bf54026a7057b94ee623c2649.jpg

First you will need a 3/8 x 16 hex bolt. Preferably nothing smaller then 2-1/2” this way you have a good grip on it.

cf03cc066ec66ac7a8f338a0cff68711.jpg

The bottom of this bolt should measure around 6.40-6.50mm

Next, use a pair of micrometers and measure down 11.20 mm from the edge of the pommel recess.
6cee83ba090ae6212e925be810343939.jpg

Use a sharpie and mark a center Mark

Next, heat up the pommel with some heat. You don’t need much, 45seconds is plenty of time
25f88868bdaa56372949c11d2e6770af.jpg

Now carefully because the pommel is hot, center the 3/8 x 16 bolt on the mark we made with the sharpie

3bec24959672dda7807fca07211acb14.jpg

20e61c1f676afafc7fe9822b6a337e92.jpg

WE ARE HITTING STEEL ON STEEL USE EYE PROTECTION!!!!

I use a 16oz finish hammer and gave it one good pop!

And the end result is a beautiful circle!!
a6d93b107da66314d525f5cf4f701f04.jpg

I hope this tutorial was helpful! so chemical aging, physical damage locations, painting, and weathering please see our master Anakin Starkiller FX thread. where I cover all the finishing work.

Anakin Starkiller FX thread

If you have not yet grabbed one of these, i highly encourage you to check out Anakin Starkillers Run thread, see if he has any left!
Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders Kit Run

No V2 is complete with out a accurate paint job, TrooperTrent still has his legendary stencils in stock, don't hesitate and grab a set today! also check out his Gaffers tape adapter kit!!

Trooper Trent Stencil Set

To complete the V2 we need the correct clamp card, thankfully sloth furnace came to our rescue and has a beautiful vintage finish option
www.slothfurnace.com

For the correct clamps you can grab a satin finish from Roman Props
Roman Props Satin Clamp

To complete the clamp you will be a lever from our boy Roy!
Wannawanga.com lever
(9/27/18 as of right now they are out of stock, but roy is quickly working to restocking them! CHECK DAILY!!)

Here is a little video of myself explaining how to apply the templates

Next up I will be doing the V3 version, stay on the look out!!

template.png

V3ClampTemplate.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders Kit Tutorial
V3 Edition
ckkuY26.jpg

(but not required)

3ETdxm9.jpg

- 1"x1" angle iron
- Straight Edge
- Center punch
- Blue Tape
- Micrometers
- 3mm x 0.5 Tap
- 2.5mm Drill bit
- 5mm x 0.80 Tap
- 4.20 Drill bit
____________________________​

To begin, we have to thank trooper trent for taking the time out of his day and converting my hand made templates into downloadable, printable version. that version can be downloaded in this post, attached below. please follow his instructions here to scale them correctly!
Instructions for sizing:
Print at full size and it should fit. But just to be sure, the image should be printed at 593 x 644 pixels
This should give the entire thing a size of about 170.392mm x 156.889mm.

Attachment 845243

azS3vGT.png

xacq44N.png

Let the tutorial begin!

Now that you have templates printed out, cut out the Emitter and Wind vane section. making sure to cut exactly on the lines.
VFjKkQh.jpg

THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

We must make sure the ring section is locked all the way into the correct position! to secure this position apply a piece of blue tape! if this ring section moves, the drilling marks can easily move in the wrong location!!
km62C6K.jpg

Next we are going to take our 1" angle iron and cut it to roughly 6 inchs. Now place the angle iron flat on the booster, centering it on the 4mm grub screw. With our pencil, now mark a line on the booster, using the 1" angle iron as a guide. BE SURE to have the pencil at a 90* angle with the angle iron so the line is perfect.

BEFORE we do this, we want to make sure the pommel is in the correct orientation. I have a video covering this, but the picture below shows the booster grub screw should hug the right side, of the second pommel cube recess, JUST like the picture below

this time, we will continue our pencil line all the way to the emitter. this is give us a "home base" to place our patterns

SqzYU96.jpg

and up the emitter

zTu5K6X.jpg

next, in the pommel recess, we are going to mark where we want to punch for the hole in the pommel. we want to hug the right side of this pommel recess, like below. the blue circle shows where i made my mark to punch later
MW6RlTB.jpg

kJszHad.jpg

Next we will take our cut out patterns, and start applying them to the emitter and windvane

4Txgdh2.jpg

We will start with the emitter, just place the pattern on the line we drew with the pencil, and apply with tape, run it all the way around and but it up against itself.

IF THE PATTERN IS NOT TOUCHING ITSELF IT IS TOO SMALL!

DO NOT DRILL

PRINT OUT A NEW SET AND TRY AGAIN

If you use small patterns, the holes WILL NOT be in the right location. if there is a 1/8th gap between them, try printing them alittle bigger. keep trying and repeating the process until the patterns touch itself. thats when you will know for sure the holes are in the right locations.

dJV8Ffa.jpg

wrap it round, round

BfLlflt.jpg

perfect! now we will move onto the wind vane, same deal, make sure they touch!
U1t1uva.jpg

take your time, check it twice [emoji6]

d30K6Fb.jpg

i make sure to put a good amount of tape on it, this way when we punch and drill we dont mess up with it moving on us

Next step, punch it! take your center punch, or the hammer and nail trick, and hit the dots. this creates a small dent, that out drill bits will easily rest in. this makes drilling holes on a cylinder like night and day! the center punch is fairly cheap, and i use it all the time, i really encourage you to use a center punch over a nail and hammer..

almost, MOST IMPORTANTLY if using a hammer and nail..... safety glasses! Z87 or bust!

sap0144.jpg

uLBVr6v.jpg

1 punch, now onto the windvane

rZDpdUR.jpg

we are making good time now. next lets drill these suckers! i personally drilled mine on my drill press, but if you watched my videos you saw how i used my power drill which has a flat bottom, as a drill press by sliding it up and down a wall of my work bench.

this is where our taps and drill bits come in, for the pommel and emitter we are using a 5mm grub screw. so we need a 4.20mm drill bit, and m5 x 0.80 tap
OgYDlzO.jpg

i put a piece of wood under the v3, this keeps the booster 90* with the drill bit. slowly and i mean very slowly place the bit on the dent and begin drilling. it wouldn't hurt to have someone hold the v3 for you and you have both hands on the drill, keeping it steady.

abwEWX4.jpg

see it wasn't that bad! now repeat the process for the booster!
CUdJ9cK.jpg

break out that 5m x08.0 tap, and slowly begin to tap it. i did this live on the video, showing you how to turn it until its tight, do a 1/4 turn, then back all the way out. i always use some form of oil, if you dont have cutting oil handy (lowes and homedepot surprisingly doesnt carry it) if you got some old motor oil, hell i would do it with vegetable oil if you had any. anything is better then nothing, especially when we get into the smaller taps
0GBKIb5.jpg

i chose to go all the way through the emitter. i believe the hole goes all the way through to hold the blade. i have no proof this is only my theory
efnNJv4.jpg

Im not going to lie.. the next step is probably the scariest part of this whole kit. 3mm is very small, and small taps are known to break easily. so be sure to follow all the steps and dont skimp... if you tapped the 5mm's with out oil... go ask your wife your mom, what ever woman lives in the house with you for some oil. hell, if you dont have any oil what so ever get some shampoo... no not joking, use that if you dont have any oil. its better then nothing.. and if you dont have shampoo, peeyyyooouuu!

all seriousness lets begin. lets get out the next set of taps. the m3 x 0.5 tap, and the 2.5mm drill bit
OgYDlzO.jpg

slowly begin the drill and drill as deep as you want. i went all the way through, believing this 3mm grub screw was used to lock the rod inside the holds the nipple-less emitter

ODbYzcx.jpg

now, since this is such a small tap, be sure to clean it out. every hole i drill i vacuum out. the larger holes you can usually get away with by blowing into them. this smaller one i dont want to take any chances of the tap binding and breaking off.. so i ran the vacuum over it real quick

go get the cutting oil, old motor oil, vegetable oil, or shampoo, SOME kind of lubricant and dip the tap in, slowly turn until tight and back out. this took me 2-3 minutes before i thought it was good enough.
2UC4puc.jpg

did you make it all the way with out snapping?! CONGRATULATIONS!!! YOU DID IT!! all the scary parts are over! now go grab those grub screws, the 3mms that come with the nipple, you can scavenge them from the nipple since you wont be using them, and install one in the next. you will have to go to your hardware store and grab the 5mm grub screws though

0fEG9EM.jpg

Now she's really coming together. the V3 i do not believe has the 3mm screws under the emitter plate. there is thick black paint, or black tap over this section today, so we can see any holes. but i truly believe there isn't any holes there, and thats why there is a 5mm screw in the side of the emitter. they ditched the idea of 2 small 3mm screws holding the blade and went with 1 big one (5mm)

36ddf49c0de05ed32c1690060bb1a042.jpg

I hope this Tutorial has helped you understand how to drill the holes on the V3. if you still confused check out my video, im a visual learner so sometimes thats easier.

If you havent purchased a V2 + V3 builders kit, follow the link below to Dan - Anakin Starkillers run! see if he has any left!
Anakin Starkiller FX thread

You will need a graflex clamp to finish this project, Roman has these in stock! i dont think there is many left so i wouldn't what long
Roman Props Graflex V3 Clamp

Sloth has had V3 clamp cards in his store forever, grabbing one from him you cant go wrong. hes the best in my eyes
http://www.slothfurnace.com

as always guys, thanks for your time!

template.png

V3ClampTemplate.png

V3 Clamp Modifications

fptgs71.jpg

(All tools below are HIGHLY recommended)

-Sissors
- 1/8th Drill bit
- 5/16th Drill bit
or
- 8mm Drill bit
- Counter Sink Drill bit
-Center punch
-Blue Tape
-Power Drill/ Drill Press

I used a 5/16th Drill bit to drill the holes, but if i had a 8mm I would have used that

Alright gang, here we are again. This next tutorial is going to explain how to drill the holes in the correct locations on the V3 clamp. Gotta give our friend TrooperTrent another shout out for banging this template out for us today!

So now attached to these posts are the new Clamp Template. down load it and print it out at 100% scale.

View attachment 845243

azS3vGT.png

xacq44N.png

Let the tutorial begin!

Cut the template out and throw a piece of blue tape on the edge with the black location bar.

XeHBBmt.jpg

This black bar should be located right over the oval channel on the graflex clamp. if you printed it out correctly it should match exactly.

picture below is used only as a example of the black bar in line with the oval channel. The picture below is NOT how to attach your template, and only used as a visual example!
f61f9ca8ef4e2bbc2857fbaa7bcb3004.jpg

I took these measurements off a vintage clamp. This tutorial i'm using a spare 89Sabers clamp. and the 89sabers oval channel matched perfectly as well! I also threw this template on Roman's newest clamp and it also fit very well!

But i cant guarantee any other clamp will line up correctly because i dont have all the variants. so make sure to test fit these templates before you drill anything!

now with the template locked with tape on the Oval channel side, wrap the template around the clamp and secure on the other side with tape.
K3zjkV4.jpg

Next we are going to whip out that center punch. But heres the deal... we DON'T want to warp the clamp... most replica clamps are made out of brass and can warp, and change shape very easily. While doing this tutorial i didn't feel comfortable with the flex in the clamp. So I ran out to the shed and got my 1-1/2" dowel, it is actually extra hand rail i use for denting V2 emitters.

I slide the dowel into the clamp just to give it some reinforcement
3yCWwbF.jpg

Clamp reinforced

deqyfNJ.jpg

while i was in the shed i figured i would just use the drill press, you have much more control with the drill press then a hand drill. but in my V2 video you can see how to use the hand drill like a drill press if you do it carefully.

So the holes in the clamp, I saw a thread where many agreed they were 8mm. I dont have a 8mm drill bit with me tonight ( i had a 8.5mm) so i used a 5/16th drill bit for the holes. but i used a 1/8th drill bit as a pilot hole first

1/8 Drill bit pilot hole
FxlgdEG.jpg

Now with the pilot holes drilled, switch out to the 5/16th and drill them all over again

Ideally if I was at the big shop I would use the step counter sink. They look like this and would have made everything much smoother.
b28c028f34c7043e272f04d688ecdc57.jpg

but Trent and I have had some PM’s about this template and I had a issue this weekend stalling the process of getting them out. I didn’t want to make everyone wait longer so I pumped this tutorial out with what I had at home. But if you don’t mind spending a few bucks, these step counter bits are amazing

GXOJz5m.jpg

Next can be debatable... So it looks like in the resin stunt the holes are chamfered...
YDEqL5a.jpg

BUT this chamber could be clay used when casting the V3 originally... OR this is exactly what a hole looks like when using a step counter sink bit.

since the holes of the clamp are now rough i figured I personally was going to just counter sink them just a little, so it will look like the resin stunt.

NZEKhPC.jpg

Just a light little tap with the counter sink

hne2Zrf.jpg

You can see the inside of the clamp holes are really rough, hit them with a file to smooth them down. The clamps for some reason really fit tight on the Builders kit. With these burs its going to be very tough, and could ruin your finish. So i recommend to sand them smooth

xIpYD4P.jpg

You can also use a rat's tail file to remove any burs on the outside of the clamp
fggg8x9.jpg

Congratulations your done!! You now should have 3 holes in your V3 Clamp!

AFNl45p.jpg

SutSakC.jpg

The only thing you should remember is to take your time. I would not do this with out reinforcement of the clamp. i was lucky to have this Hand rail in my shed, if not i wouldn't have finished the Tutorial tonight because the clamp was way too soft. I would not attempt this with out all the tools, it can go south real quick!

I hope this little tutorial helped you guys who wanted to drill your own holes! Thanks again Trent, for taking the time out of your work day and doing this for us! much appreciated!!

If you don't feel comfortable, Roman Props has these clamps in stock with the holes drilled already. With all the V2 + V3 kits Dan has produced I wouldn't hesitate to grab one!
Roman Props V3 Clamp

If you have not yet grabbed one of these, i highly encourage you to check out Anakin Starkillers Run thread, see if he has any left!
Anakin Starkiller V2 + V3 Builders Kit Run

To complete the V3 we need the correct clamp card, thankfully sloth furnace came to our rescue and has a beautiful V3 version.
www.slothfurnace.com

template.png

V3ClampTemplate.png

Please reserve 4

Attachments

• template.png
    template.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 333
  • V3ClampTemplate.png
    V3ClampTemplate.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Please reserve 5

Attachments

• template.png
    template.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 286
  • V3ClampTemplate.png
    V3ClampTemplate.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
WOW awesome man!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I should really wear gloves...

I have working hands, never really was insecure about them until my ex. She always complained about them, now in most videos I’ll always wear them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!

Mental note: pick up goggles when I go to get the bolt

Yup! Safety glasses is very very important. I use them all day at work and have 3 pairs in the shed. The glasses were right there on the bench when I was drilling as forgot to put them on

Always have phantom glasses, since I wear them all day it feels like they are still on. I forget them most of the time..

Down side is you sometimes forget you DON’T have them on lol

Always have phantom glasses, since I wear them all day it feels like they are still on. I forget them most of the time..

Down side is you sometimes forget you DON’T have them on lol
I have prescription glasses and sometimes lose them on my own face, while they're correcting my vision so I can see. I can just imagine how easy it is to lose track of safety glasses

I have prescription glasses and sometimes lose them on my own face, while they're correcting my vision so I can see. I can just imagine how easy it is to lose track of safety glasses

Yeah or leave the safety glasses up on my head lol do that all the time too

Do you know the exact placement of the 3 holes in the Graflex clamp? I wonder if trooper Trent could supply another paper template for this? I got a beautiful Graflex stamped clamp from The Graflex Shop that needs to be modified. I already flipped it upside-down for the install.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back