"MEK substitute"??

Treadwell

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The styrene weld stuff one overpays for at the hobby shop is just methyl ethyl ketone, or so I understand.

So I figure I'd get a gallon of the stuff at Lowe's. But they only had "MEK substitute".

WTH is that? Will that still work for our modeling purposes?

My recommendation: Continue buying it in the small bottles. Personally I don't like a gallon container of MEK or similar in my house.

I recommend Tamiya thin cement. Square bottles won't get knocked over and spill.

I've worked in graphics for a long time and we always had gallons of MEK on hand. So you can still get the real stuff, just maybe not at Home Depot. Lowes. Check places that sell printing supplies

Funny that you mentioned this, but I was at Walmart and they have a MEK/Naptha substitute cause ya know, californa. I havent tried it yet, but it was called "painters solvent" by Kleen strip. I remember seeing it at Home Depot, but they no longer carry it.

Weld-On solvents are incredibly toxic -- like, causing brain damage toxic. (I've read similar warnings about MEK.) I've used Weld-On a lot, and the manufacturer recommends an AIR-SUPPLIED RESPIRATOR when working with it. That's the kind that has a hose bringing you fresh air from outside the area. It means a dust mask or even a regular paint respirator isn't going to be enough to protect you from the fumes. So, don't use this stuff indoors!

I actually went to the trouble of building a ventilated work booth so I don't have to breathe any fumes when working with solvents like this.

This stuff is extremely "hot" for use with styrene. It will work, but it quickly dissolves the plastic. It's really formulated for acrylic. I find it doesn't work well for ABS and doesn't always do a good job with bonding styrene to acrylic (it works but sometimes the styrene parts will pop off later). [BTW, The best glue I've ever used for joining acrylic to styrene/ABS/Butyrate is made by Plastruct. I wish I could get this stuff in larger quantities!]

A couple other tips:

1) Using any sort of open dish or bowl as a "well" to dispense solvent causes waste in the form of evaporation and helps toxic fumes get up in your face. A very experienced modeler friend introduced me to something called a Menda Pump. This is used to dispense solvents in tiny amounts and helps avoid excessive fumes and waste from evaporation. You can get it from Plastruct.

2) When using a brush to weld parts with solvent, it must be a natural hair artists brush. Many paint brushes have synthetic hairs made from plastic. These are likely to dissolve or stick together and become unusable when dipped in powerful solvents like Weld-On.

Well is the Tamiya and Plastruct stuff MEK or something else?

And I assume MEK Substitute exists because it is safer? Does it work well with styrene?

I don't know much about MEK but it seems to be the key ingredient in "hot" solvents designed to liquify plastics like styrene. I'm guessing many popular cements use various concentrations of it. If you try using pure MEK it may be way too "hot" and also so volatile as to evaporate much too quickly (that would help it get into your lungs even more).

Plastruct Plastic Weld contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane):

https://plastruct.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/MSDS_PPC_2.pdf

Tamiya Extra-Thin Cement contains Butyl Acetate and Acetone:

http://www.hobby2you.eu/catalog/sikkerhedsblade/543459.pdf

Their regular cement adds:

• Synthetic Resin
  • Styrene Resin Organic Solvent
  • Cyclohexene

MEK substitute does work on styrene. I have used it at my work on a few occasions.
That said, PLEASE follow all safety precautions mentioned above and elsewhere. Its still some nasty stuff.

I found a can of the real thing at Ace Hardware (the last one in the back of a row of substitute), so I never tried that other stuff.
Awesome for you...thanks for the prompt reply. I'm looking for a cost effect (PC way for saying CHEAP) substitute glue for hobby store products. Currently using Tamiya products, since my favorite Model Master glue is no longer available.Iv

16248315310376380842483322139535.jpg

I've already spilled more bottles of the smaller ($3.98) one than I'll admit to my wife....probably why I was such a fan of theTestors with the long applicator tube.

While these type of glues work for the styrene products, do you have any recommendations for dissimilar materials... the ones that don't dissolve? Right now, I'm using DAP Weldwood contact cement. Over larger surface areas it works well enough, just a bit "clumpy." Not strong or rigid enough for "just a drop" contact areas. Never had good luck with super glues...rarely get decent hold that doesn't break off...plus, with infrequent use, tube dries up before I can get back to it again.

Ran across this product on a recent search...
IMG_20210627_141644.jpg
Do you (or anyone else following this) happen to know how well it works? Or have other suggestions to try? Primary materials I'm looking to join are styrene, metal and various pvc/cpvc pipes and fittings.

We used to use MEK a lot, and for our purposes, it was essentially a “slower evaporating acetone”.

Acetone will melt several plastics easily so that could be something to try.

We used to use MEK a lot, and for our purposes, it was essentially a “slower evaporating acetone”.

Acetone will melt several plastics easily so that could be something to try.
Might try acetone....not like we all don't have scraps laying around for tests.....

I use methylene chloride for all my styrene , ABS and acrylic joins to each other. It is the standard plastics industry solvent cement however it is a known carcinogen. Problem is I have not found anything else that does the job as well. I have an ancient EMA dispenser bottle for it where you push down with your applicator brush and it pumps a small amount into the stainless steel receptacle. I also have an exhaust fan at one end of my shed and open some portholes at the other end for a positive airflow through the space.

At one point the original polyethylene bottle cracked and luckily I happened to have an ink bottle that was made from polyethylene and had the same thread as the dispenser.

hJjcwCjC3ZdFB5ax8KiR_s1Xv=w1252-h939-no?authuser=0.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back