"Detention Block" E-11 Scope Question — Extra Chunk

Bradberry00

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am going to be building the "Detention Block" variant of the E-11 blaster and am curious if there is any knowledge as to what the extra "chunk" is on top of the scope?

42738375_667303163581_1652990375150747648_n.jpg

Yeah. BTW were they specific maker or design?

There has been some discussion with regards to the chips/ sockets they used on the ANH DH17.
IIRC these were made by Texas Instruments. The ones on the DH17 had a very distintive shape of the squarish recess in the chip... @Sym Cha posted a picture of a hero DH17 back then.

But I don´t know of any detailed pictures of the E11 scopes, where you can make out anything else but the "chunk" itself.
So in the end any chip/ socket combination should work, as long as the look is accurate.
You can easily upgrade later on, when better pictures become available and the OCD kicks in ;)

The E11 scopes on the other

There has been some discussion with regards to the chips/ sockets they used on the ANH DH17.
IIRC these were made by Texas Instruments. The ones on the DH17 had a very distintive shape of the squarish recess in the chip... @Sym Cha posted a picture of a hero DH17 back then.

But I don´t know of any detailed pictures of the E11 scopes, where you can make out anything else but the "chunk" itself.
So in the end any chip/ socket combination should work, as long as the look is accurate.
You can easily upgrade later on, when better pictures become available and the OCD kicks in ;)

The E11 scopes on the other

The problem might be because we don't have any ANH E-11 in the original state so we cannot verify exactly what was added on their M-type scopes. Unfortunately they were dismantled when returned to Bapty and so. We can only find the blocks from various pics alas.

The DH-17 we know of had a 14-pin chip (7 on each side). Same package as some of the chips on the sides of the Mouse Droids.

Are there any good pics of that dh-17 chip on the blaster? I completely forgot about the mouse droid, covered in electronics!

I was hoping someone would post a pic of a replica or a mock-up so I could see what it looks like as I did not know about this before and now I’m genuinely curious how it looks.

Only have these pics atm

one shows just the socket (ingnore the pins pointing up, was just to determine if the height matches). The other shows chip with socket since I have seen at least one E11 with a pretty high/ big „chunk“

don‘t have any pic of just the chip placed on the rear, but you should get an idea...

Attachments

• CD8F1382-9ABC-461A-85DE-468D69157DB3.jpeg
    CD8F1382-9ABC-461A-85DE-468D69157DB3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 234
  • 5C475197-1DBC-4E92-988E-3C93B3D8D3C7.jpeg
    5C475197-1DBC-4E92-988E-3C93B3D8D3C7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
  • 9BA6157E-A6A6-4C8C-9F6C-EDF8B5F84493.jpeg
    9BA6157E-A6A6-4C8C-9F6C-EDF8B5F84493.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
This might be a bit of a complete red herring, but a couple of weeks ago I was looking at vintage scopes for the E11 on ebay and there was one with an extra bracket around the top end of the scope with a clasp. It had a strap around the thick end of the scope with small rectangular block on it. With the 'eye of faith' there could possibly be a strap on the top pic. Paid little attention to it and moved on.

When I first opened this thread before anyone had replied, I saw the pic and I just assumed it was mounting I had seen on ebay and was a 'known thing'.

Not sure if this helps or hinders.

Just the socket seems a more appropriate height for the image I posted. But The more I look at the image in question, the more I see the tell tale shape of an integrated circuit...

Only have these pics atm

one shows just the socket (ingnore the pins pointing up, was just to determine if the height matches). The other shows chip with socket since I have seen at least one E11 with a pretty high/ big „chunk“

don‘t have any pic of just the chip placed on the rear, but you should get an idea...

This might be a bit of a complete red herring, but a couple of weeks ago I was looking at vintage scopes for the E11 on ebay and there was one with an extra bracket around the top end of the scope with a clasp. It had a strap around the thick end of the scope with small rectangular block on it. With the 'eye of faith' there could possibly be a strap on the top pic. Paid little attention to it and moved on.

When I first opened this thread before anyone had replied, I saw the pic and I just assumed it was mounting I had seen on ebay and was a 'known thing'.

Not sure if this helps or hinders.

It sounds like you're referring to the light port connector piece that transfers light into the top red lens of the later M38A2 and M40A2 scopes and illuminates the reticle.

It sounds like you're referring to the light port connector piece that transfers light into the top red lens of the later M38A2 and M40A2 scopes and illuminates the reticle.

Indeed. If that is the case, the M38A2 were not used in SW. You can still convert them with a bit of work and make them look like regular M38

M38A2 scope conversion.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back