Battlestar Galactica: 40th Anniversary

LOVED BSG as an eleven year old, in 1978. Sweet Mary mother of *****, it did not stand up to the test of time. The music is still excellent, as are the models, too. But, the stories and the acting - good lord. I can't get the image of Boxy getting up on Adama's lap for a special grandfatherly moment out of my head.

The new BSG, on the other hand, is MUCH better.

I'm glad the community is on this ship. Because honestly? It was some of the best scifi on television I can remember. Fun fact. Did you know a former Predator cast member was on the show? As a Colonial Marine.

Edit: it wasn't from Aliens, it was from Predator (apologies for the mix-up). He was one of the team members with Dutch. He plays a colonial marine in the BSG re-imagined series. Actor was Bill Duke.

Last edited:
I'm glad the community is on this ship. Because honestly? It was some of the best scifi on television I can remember. Fun fact. Did you know a former aliens cast member was on the show? As a Colonial Marine.

I'm not tracking you properly... BSG was 1978-'79. Aliens was 1986. Unless you meant Alien, but that was '79 and had no Marines/troops. Unless you meant nuBSG had a former Aliens cast member and I missed the transition from original series to new. Or that someone who was a soldier on TOS was later in Aliens...

Can't say there wasn't another reason I never missed it.......

maren_jensen_bio_pic.jpg

I'm not tracking you properly... BSG was 1978-'79. Aliens was 1986. Unless you meant Alien, but that was '79 and had no Marines/troops. Unless you meant nuBSG had a former Aliens cast member and I missed the transition from original series to new. Or that someone who was a soldier on TOS was later in Aliens...

The "new" series. Not the original.

@CessnaDriver, my big crush was Rigel. *siiiiigh*

View attachment 846156

Yeaaaaaahh, not the show we're talking about. ;)

Oh really?

So how do we feel about the "new" BSG?

In my opinion, it was nothing less than the best drama on TV (sci-fi or otherwise) in the first decade of this century.

LOVED BSG as an eleven year old, in 1978. Sweet Mary mother of *****, it did not stand up to the test of time. The music is still excellent, as are the models, too. But, the stories and the acting - good lord. I can't get the image of Boxy getting up on Adama's lap for a special grandfatherly moment out of my head.

The new BSG, on the other hand, is MUCH better.

I brought it up to see how members felt about that show in comparison to the old one. Guess you should pay attention more. ;)

Last edited:
I opted to ignore the original question about nuBSG in a thread specifically about the original's anniversary. There's been plenty of compare-and-contrast discussed over the years. So in your later post in this non-nuBSG thread, since you didn't mention you were going off-topic again, I sought clarification. I thought you meant nuBSG, but... this isn't a thread about that show, so I wasn't sure. :behave

FWIW, while I might have liked nuBSG if had been its own thing (maybe with about half the unceasing melodrama), I hated it as something purporting to be "Battlestar Galactica". You can find my thoughts a decade back, when it was relevant. :p

Back to the topic... I've been idly poking at my supercut. Figuring out which bits are lame filler and such, to try to highlight the throughline of Larson's intended narrative arc. I wish they hadn't locked G80 into its time period, or there might be something more salvageable from there than "The Return of Starbuck". I've seen the various remastering and restorations, and have been less than thrilled with each approach. I re-read Richard Hatch's trilogy from time to time, and often think about the Second Coming "trailer"/pitch and what could have been. This is a story still crying out for continuation, but today, I don't know how possible that might be... :(

I opted to ignore the original question about nuBSG in a thread specifically about the original's anniversary. There's been plenty of compare-and-contrast discussed over the years. So in your later post in this non-nuBSG thread, since you didn't mention you were going off-topic again, I sought clarification. I thought you meant nuBSG, but... this isn't a thread about that show, so I wasn't sure. :behave

FWIW, while I might have liked nuBSG if had been its own thing (maybe with about half the unceasing melodrama), I hated it as something purporting to be "Battlestar Galactica". You can find my thoughts a decade back, when it was relevant. :p

Back to the topic... I've been idly poking at my supercut. Figuring out which bits are lame filler and such, to try to highlight the throughline of Larson's intended narrative arc. I wish they hadn't locked G80 into its time period, or there might be something more salvageable from there than "The Return of Starbuck". I've seen the various remastering and restorations, and have been less than thrilled with each approach. I re-read Richard Hatch's trilogy from time to time, and often think about the Second Coming "trailer"/pitch and what could have been. This is a story still crying out for continuation, but today, I don't know how possible that might be... :(
Don't get your ego panties in a twist. It's not that serious lol.

mcoractual....careful... if you don't talk only about what "they" want to talk about, you quickly become the target of all of their hostility.

All of this has happened before... and it will happen again ;)

That bit of fun poking aside, i grew up with the original BSG and loved it. Like others have expressed previously, it hasn't aged so well for me. While I was OBSESSED with it as a child, by the time the reimagined series came along i had long since let it go as I had attempted a full rewatch a few years before Ron Moore's came out and was shocked at how hard of a time i was having trying to love it again.

I'm not dogging it to those of you who still enjoy it. I wish i still did...it's basically just fond memories for me now of my youth. I've said all of that to illustrate why i was personally so over the moon for the new one, as it just seemed so darned good! I will admit that I was less than satisfied with the ending, but there was so much good in it,as well.

In any case, there would have been no NuBSG without first having the Original... so here's to it! Happy 40th :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That bit of fun poking aside, i grew up with the original BSG and loved it. Like others have expressed previously, it hasn't aged so well for me. While I was OBSESSED with it as a child, by the time the reimagined series came along i had long since let it go as I had attempted a full rewatch a few years before Ron Moore's came out and was shocked at how hard of a time i was having trying to love it again.

I thought the same thing! I still love it for the nostalgia, but it was pretty corny.

You think BSG aged badly? Try watching Buck Rogers! It'll make BSG look like Citizen Kane!

I keep missing it because MeTV is running episodes here. I showed my 15yo nephew a clip because he saw the commercial. It had Twiki doing his "Biddi biddi biddi" thing and he said "What's wrong with it?! It's creepy as heck!" :lol

I still enjoy watching them. The simplicity of them, the good verses evil theme. I look at it, and then current TV and think, my goodness how the world has changed drastically in 40 years. And not for the better.

The ONE show (my personal opinion) which has withstood the time and still is every bit as awesome as it was then....

The
Six Million
Dollar Man

Interesting. Six Million Dollar Man is one that I can honestly say I haven't seen an episode of since it's original run. I may have to track down some of those and give them a try, because I sure loved it back then.

Plus the opening theme was awesome! I do have that in my music catalogue.

@mcoractual....careful... if you don't talk only about what "they" want to talk about, you quickly become the target of all of their hostility.

All of this has happened before... and it will happen again ;)

I'm not dogging it to those of you who still enjoy it. I wish i still did...it's basically just fond memories for me now of my youth. I've said all of that to illustrate why i was personally so over the moon for the new one, as it just seemed so darned good! I will admit that I was less than satisfied with the ending, but there was so much good in it,as well.

In any case, there would have been no NuBSG without first having the Original... so here's to it! Happy 40th :)
Is that not the very definition of gate keeping though?

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember watching it on Sunday nights. Good memories.

The blu-ray's look great! At least the original 4x3 versions do.

The past 5 years have FLOWN by. I went to the 35th Anniversary convention in Houston, TX.

Got to meet: Richard (rest his soul), Dirk, Terry, Annie (told her about the kid-crush i had for her lol)
And someone attended who was wearing an original screen used cylon costume. Great time!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back