Wands, Cores and more from the Wizarding World (Dash Terrier Props)

Plokman

Hey all,
Since my old topic on sourcing wood has run it's course I thought I would start a new topic based for my Pottermore Inspired Wands, New and Old Wand Core designing and more. The main purpose of this topic is to gather constructive crits to some of my ideas as well as to show off pieces you may one day want to own. Now your all going to wonder till I tell you but "Dash Terrier Props" is to be the name of my prop business once I start selling based off the name of two of my favorite dog breeds, the noble and charming Dachshund here rendered as Dash due to the American misnomer and the loyal and always protective Boston Terrier (Oddly also the name of a class of steam locomotives, I'm sure you all know Stepney the Bluebell engine)

Ok got those small details out of the way let's show off some of my personal progress. According to Pottermore my wand is Rowan, 11 inches and with a core of Unicorn Hair. Now I'll be purchasing a few Rowan branches to use for more wands after the first (Stupid fixed income speed bump, Can't wait to open both my shops Lego and Props) so for the moment I only have the start of the handle for the wand proper and am preping the core hair (A little bit of shed fir from my pet Dachshund I'm trying to make it silver. Got to look into the best methods for it.) so for the moment here is my Wand handle, and yes those markings will all be removed for a special inlay I got a idea for from another book series about Wizards they also like the color blue alot in that series.

0917181546-00.jpg0917181546-03.jpg0917181546-02.jpg0917181546-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all small delays, ah that's life. Working on the pattern I want on the wand and the best way to transfer it to the wood. Anyone know if Tracing paper can be used for that? I have seen what looked like Tracing paper or parchment used and I don't think it was parchment as well pencil drawing takes poorly to it from my experience.

Small update I have officially purchased my Rowan for my wand, just got to wait to see when it gets here overseas shipping you know. I'm honestly thinking of growing som trees at the new place of the harder to get woods. I know it'll take a long time for them to grow to a size I can use but hey if I can grow it at any rate it's worth the investment.

Rowan has arrived big thank you to this awesome Etsy seller https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrueWilderness Got to make my overlay for my handle where I want the Runes and lining on it. If any one knows of Angie Sages' Septimus Heap series I was inspired by it for my handle inlay as well as on the part of the shaft that leaves the handle.

Let's just say Gold, Silver and Lapis are key colors for the Runes. Two worlds of wizards collide, don't you worry don't you hide. Wands, Charms and books galore, imagination to not be ignored! Fly by broom, car or charm, there really is no harm. Seven ties them together, one about a boy with a scar of lightning marking, the other the seventh son of a seventh son great maygk in the making.

Well perfect, the above mentioned handle was reduced to splinters today. I have to start over carving and in a way I'm kind of glad I need to I just hope I got enough Large Popsicle Sticks to redo it and then overlay my design on the blank. If not I'll need to wait till the first possibly I'll check with my financial advisor.

Crazy Joe: Wanna see my puppets? (pulls out two sock puppets) *squeaky version of normal voice* Hello.

No not him my dad, high time I head to a lumber yard or a hobby lobby. Balsa isn't that expensive and all and I could find some deeper colored woods figure it out tomorrow starting from scratch.

high time I head to a lumber yard or a hobby lobby. Balsa isn't that expensive and all and I could find some deeper colored woods figure it out tomorrow starting from scratch.

Head to your local Home Depot or woodworking store. In my opinion, stay away from balsa (too soft). I’ve built about a 100 custom wands using oak, walnut, cherry, and more. You can achieve great results and they will last. You can get decent sized dowels of varied woods for making handles and shafts or you can opt for pen blanks for more exotic handles.

Head to your local Home Depot or woodworking store. In my opinion, stay away from balsa (too soft). I’ve built about a 100 custom wands using oak, walnut, cherry, and more. You can achieve great results and they will last. You can get decent sized dowels of varied woods for making handles and shafts or you can opt for pen blanks for more exotic handles.
You know that never even crossed my mind about Pen Blanks, They are handle length by design, perfect size for any wand handle. I need to look into wood carriers in my area for sure. As for the Balsa I was only thinking of it as I know somewhere in my closet (Hoo boy the ammount of stuff I'll need to box up before I move. I just hope we can get movers to get my old CRT out no way my dad can carry that tv down stairs.) I bought it for a modeling project I had ages ago and as a Baseboard for a diorama type model I'd say would be fine so long as I creasoted it if I chose to put it on my Garden Railway. But I'd think it better inside not outside.

Lucky for me I will have a Walnut Tree behind my new place, be able to source my Walnut locally. Oak and a few others are quite findable too. Hmm you by chance ever make anything out of Persimmon wood? Used to have one and wood seemed better than Balsa.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back