Hell Fest (Post-release)

What did you think of Hell Fest?

• It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's awesome. Congrats Seth.

So many known filmmakers are going the Netflix route cause it gives them the creative freedom while not having to worry about box office. So in this digital age a movie being released in theatres is still something special, especially for the creative people involved.

Your R rated horror movie which is distributed by Lionsgate will be across 2200+ theatres in US. I can only imagine the years of hardship you had to endure to reap the benefits now. I am very happy for you man and keep at it.

That's awesome. Congrats Seth.

So many known filmmakers are going the Netflix route cause it gives them the creative freedom while not having to worry about box office. So in this digital age a movie being released in theatres is still something special, especially for the creative people involved.

Your R rated horror movie which is distributed by Lionsgate will be across 2200+ theatres in US. I can only imagine the years of hardship you had to endure to reap the benefits now. I am very happy for you man and keep at it.

Well you know-- Michael Myers is going to crush us, but it's still been a pretty awesome experience. And thank you for the kind words!

Oh wow! I’m going with a group to see this on Sunday

Hope you guys dig it! If you don't, it's all the director's fault.

I’ve seen this trailer on tv!! I’m gonna try and catch it this weekend, I’m not a horror fan but I am a fan of Seth, so I’m gonna check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's the breakdown thus far-- Mainstream reviews are mixed. But it's not like anyone expects Variety or the NYT to like non-prestige horror films. Dedicated horror outlets are mostly positive with some holdouts that are mad about it not being gory enough or having naked women. Fan/audience reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. People are loving it-- but just not enough are going to see it. The take is low, and its staying power and future are determined by its first weekend. A movie this size just doesn't have the marketing budget to make sure everyone in the country sees an ad or trailer. Again, most everyone going to see it, loves it-- but more people need to get out to it, especially in the next couple days. So if you're a horror fan, do me a favor and spread the word!

Last edited by a moderator:
We really enjoyed it. I agree I saw the trailer a week ago and wondered why this was the first time I was seeing it. I thought it ended perfectly but won’t spoil it for folks. I could see this getting sequels. Have you wrote anything to follow up?

Thank you!

There's all sorts of ideas and plans, but unless it becomes a cult hit on video we won't get to do them. It's a bummer, but like I said, it's a marketing fail. The respones from regular folk and horror fans has been great. That will sustain my ego for now!

Thank you! That's awesome to hear!
Thats awesome that you wrote this man! GF and I saw it this past weekend. Although its awesome that you wrote it, and hollywood made it into a film (with Gale Ann Hurd producing!!!) it was a really awful movie though. The kids were acting like they were in high school, and the punk chick was so obnoxious I couldnt wait for her to die. It was so awkward between the lead and her love interest, it was super cringe worthy every time they interacted. And they were college students? It was just odd.

Can I ask was there any difference in writing vs the final film?
Good question. Cause I know after a script is purchased, the production team can butcher the hell out of it. Honestly I think it was the director, and how he directed them. Who knows, maybe Im getting old. 36 isnt that old though lol. But those kids were acting like they were in 9th grade. They were supposed to be in college.

Wife and I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it! Great ending! Hope it catches on with home video because I would love to see a sequel get made.

Thats awesome that you wrote this man! GF and I saw it this past weekend. Although its awesome that you wrote it, and hollywood made it into a film (with Gale Ann Hurd producing!!!) it was a really awful movie though. The kids were acting like they were in high school, and the punk chick was so obnoxious I couldnt wait for her to die. It was so awkward between the lead and her love interest, it was super cringe worthy every time they interacted. And they were college students? It was just odd.

It's bummer you didn't like it, but I don't expect to please everyone. It's crazy to watch how some people name certain elements as their favorite thing, and others say they hate them. I don't think it has to do with age, I'm 43. Everyone wants different things. We were aiming for a very specific type of movie and tone and we nailed it-- but that's a thing everyone likes. That's just how it goes.

Can I ask was there any difference in writing vs the final film?

Things evolve and change a lot. This wasn't my original idea. There were a few drafts before me (those writers are given the story by credit) and when I came on I basically started over from scratch and wrote the basic story and structure and a lot of the details that are in the movie now. There were two writers after me who were doing character work, and re-writes for production needs (changing locations, cutting lines, re-designating lines, etc) while I was off working on a TV show.

I came back on at the end when we were shooting the ending of the film and to do a bunch of ADR lines to make fixes for stuff that was cut. That's all pretty normal procedure for a studio movie. So no, not everything on the screen is 100% me. The director adds his flair, the needle in the eye was his idea, the actors get into the characters and improv a bit to make them their own. It's all part of the process. I personally love it. I've been on other things and been re-written to the point that I asked to have my name taken off, but this time I thought the other people';s additions were great.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back