Star Trek Prop Benzite Breather Device - 3D printing progress

propmaster2000

Sr Member
A few days ago, I set out to design another possible 3D printed prop.
I personally have never seen the actual prop or even a replicated version.
There are several screen captures on line that give some pretty good close-up shots
but hard to get the proper scale.

Mordock benzite.jpg

I will most likely use a Velcro attachment to the uniform or I have even considered using strong magnets in the base
and a thin metal plate under the fabric.

To achieve the "vapor" effect, I will use small chips of dry ice in a removable tray in the mouth piece with small vent holes.
Amber LEDs will also be added as I progress but won't happen until I am satisfied with how it prints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-wuwY1yEY

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny, cause I put holes down the tubes so maybe later I could install a small "vape" in the base and have a small tube at the top mouth piece
so that it can actually be drawn from....(just thinking out loud). :)

I made a little progress on my version of the Benzite Breather device used by Mordock/Mendon in Star Trek and now me, "Mundane".
In between my time working on my rendition of the Spider-Man Web shooter, I've working on this as well (only one printer).
Still have a ways to go. Need to print and add the mouth piece.
Just wanted to share.

Device 1.JPG

Device 2.JPG

Device 3a.jpg

Device 4.JPG

https://youtu.be/9_Lvi62zIQ4

Have been steadily whittling away at this prop and am waiting for 3mm amber LEDs for the mouth piece.
The batteries will go in the base. It will be painted a Titanium Metallic Color.

Here is another video as it is now.
I am currently printing the tray which goes in the upper mouth piece portion.
It looks as though Mordocks Breather was a bit different (larger) then Mendons in scale and proportions.
Mine is a mixture of both.

I still have some more to do on this prop, such as make the two rods Blue (as Mendons were) add the electronics (LEDS in the mouth piece and
a single red 3mm LED in the base) and finish painting.

I am waiting to get the Dry Ice for the mouth piece tray to recreate the "vapor (mist) effect" and I am using magnets to hold the unit to my chest
using a metal plate cut to size instead of the "belt and clip" set up used by the actor.
This version being much lighter weight then the original, magnets should work ok.
Don't look at it too close (it's not perfect) :)

I might make a removable stand for it so I can display it on a shelf standing up right.

Mordock_Mendon_Mundane Benzite Breather small.jpg

Well, I tested the mouth piece vapor effect with Dry Ice and it works great!
I filled the ice tray with crushed dry ice and blew gently on the open vent area near my mouth/nose
and it produced a fair amount of mist.
The unit itself uses three magnets to hold it to a metal sheet.

I still have to add the batteries and LEDs when they arrive and the project should be complete.

May make another to sell in a Star Trek Prop (On Line) Auction...

mordock breather best 1 small.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a short video showing the Dry Ice "Mist/Vapor" effect.

It works much better when blowing directly on to the vent surface and in to the horizontal slot provided.

I am about finished with this Star Trek Benzite Breather prop as well.
Since I only have the one printer, I have to share time on it with other projects in the works.

I managed to get the 10 amber LEDs in place and create a 4 - AAA battery holder in the base.
There are three magnets inside on the back plate and the center one holds the prop to a small 3D printed display stand.

I probably will be putting this up for auction when I get it finished.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back