Need suggestions — Trying to make grooves in PVC pipe

BornKilr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As the title says, I'm trying to make several, evenly spaced grooves around a 3" OD PVC pipe. I've tried setting fence on table saw, and using the miter guide to align pipe, but it tends to slip. I also tried a dremel with router bit and straight edge guide attachment, but again, it tends to slip. I'm thinking the table router is going to be the way to go, but I don't have it set up yet. But I'm still foreseeing the same issue with keeping the PVC perfectly still so the lines are really straight. I'm thinking some kind of jig, but not sure how to make it and couldn't find anything online. Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 9.10.21 PM.png

The router table sounds like the best way, rotated it against a stop block to keep it straight. A trick I've seen wood workers do, is to make a set of strips the width of the spacing you need. After each groove is cut place another strip in place against the stop block, and cut the next groove. This will ensure even spacing.

The router table sounds like the best way, rotated it against a stop block to keep it straight. A trick I've seen wood workers do, is to make a set of strips the width of the spacing you need. After each groove is cut place another strip in place against the stop block, and cut the next groove. This will ensure even spacing.

I kinda figured that might be the best bet. I was given a router and I bought a table for it around a year ago, but have never set it up. The kind of stuff I do doesn't require much routing. But i have a feeling after using it, I'll probably use it more than I think.

And I like the strip idea. I was thinking of re-positioning a block each time, which of course, would add to the margin of error.
Probably have to buy a bit, because the grooves need to be really small

^ this.

an old trick used in the saber scene for many years...

pipe cutter with enough force/pressure to make the 'cut' (line) as deep as you want.. without cutting all the way through.

Thanks for the ideas. Since I already have a router but no pipe cutter, I'm gonna try that first. If it fails, I'm off to Home Depot for a pipe cutter

Well, the router actually worked pretty good. A few hiccups when the PVC would move, but not too bad. Luckily for what it is, it doesn't need to be perfect. Thanks fr the help.

main body.jpg

Having trouble visualizing the setup you used. Do you have a pix of your router table setup?
Thanks for sharing!
Regards, Robert

Yeh, you can see it on this thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=294788

But here is the general setup. I had double sided tape under the wooden block, set perpendicular to fence and just moved it .375" for each cut. I just rolled the PVC into fence to start, then slowly rotated it 360 degrees. To save time, I flipped the PVC so I got 2 cuts for each position.

Robn1 had a better idea, to cut strips of wood and add one each time, but I got lazy and just measured each time

IMG_1138.JPG  .JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back