My final and ultimate (I hope) TOS Colonial Viper

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Originally, I bought the Moebius Viper kit, but last month, the more I examined it, the more dissatified I was with it. It was pointed out to me that it was based on the full size mock up, not the filming miniature, and then it made sense. I stopped trying to modify it into a filming miniature and went back to the Revellogram kit I had been working on yahrens ago, but took an indefinite pause on. So last week I reluctantly went to town on it again. I had already modified the guns, put a fabricated grill in the nose, and switched out the side piping with thin tube styrene, so that was done. So I gritted my teeth and spent a solid 3 & 1/2 hours scribing the panel lines, then modified the rear of the cockpit, and canabilized the Moebius clear engine part to thicken up the cans at the rear openings. I also snatched the Moebius high tail fin as it's closer to the correct length than the Revellogram's (IMO). I also sanded down the 'buldge' on the three intakes to make them straighter, and thus more accurate (that took an hour). So yesterday I finished building, and there was much rejoicing (by me) that it turned out pretty nice. Now for the painting... currently doing tests... any suggestions? 40 years ago I basically nailed the colour on my first Viper with Testor's small bottle paint so I'm going that route this time as well. Problem is I don't remember what I actually used back then. Obviously flat black & flat white... but I'm seeing if yellow or tan additions will yeild that particular on-screen FX shots look again....
UrJ3D3g.jpg

LrVKYum.jpg

SE67DrG.jpg

C7m9usI.jpg

K56VQbp.jpg

Br8xIUZ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good.

I've thought about using the Moebius nose with the Monogram engines. I like the longer nose section of the Moebius, but that might just be me.

It's all good. The Moebius nose is very 'mock up' and if you like that look, it would definitely work. There are so many Viper versions that no choice is wrong. It's art.

Congratulations on your hard work. It really shows in the model as it stands now. Really going to shine once you get paint on it.

Cheers!

Ted.

Looks killer! I wish my Moebius looked that accurate. It must be that the Moebius nose is too long?
I think it IS accurate- to the full size mock up. I tried to modify it to be the filming miniature, but it was turning ito a ridiculously involved project... for all of it's problems (no panel lines; inaccurate canopy; the ridge on the intakes you need to remove...), the Revellogram's lines are pretty flawless (exept for the high fin being a few mm's too short).

Late night touch up before clean-up and red/orange stripe painting tomorrow (I hate decals). Nice having two days off in a row just now!
tQysmv1.jpg

FRAK! The tape I used was cheap tape, and left a felgercarb residue that would not come up and reacted with the enamel. I had to strip it with WD40. Washed with soap & water, back to painting square one. Primer tomorrow. I'll make it better, stronger, faster! In the mean time, it's a Blood Viper on a blood hunt...
wink.gif

cqfbCkb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I painted the hull with Krylon this time, a mix of flat gray & flat white, sprayed in super-thin coats until I got the right lightness & darkness. The whole thing will appear a bit darker after I add the 'dirt washes' to it.
Just painted the canopy. I'll have to clean up a line or two there. No biggie.
Even with the little flaws, I'm lovin' how it's turning out.
J4PSsST.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back