Any primer (also help) suggestion ?

BoomCo

Hello hello this is my first post (ill post more don't worry) and well.. here we go...

Im starting in this world of replicas and props, but i feel like im not using the right materials (primer in this case)

20180922_193739.jpg

The filler primer was my first option, the bad thing is it dries too slow..

20180922_193718.jpg

So i found this second option, BUT this is worse.....I thought that as it was auto primer it would be better, but no.. (sandable Fast drying?...yeah sure what a joke...)

20180922_192305.jpg

As you can see, is not full dry... (has 3 days painted) so, today is the 4th day and still soft..
20180922_195254.jpg

At this point i dont know what to do...Maybe it has something to do that has rained these days?

This is 3d print + sculpt but im not sure how to dry this...

Any advice will be appreciated, also primer brands will be appreciated too...

Thanks..

Last edited:
I'm partial to Krylon Fusion (sticks well to everything I've sprayed it on) and Rustoleum 2X paint/primer. Neither are filler primers, but both adhere very well and I haven't had drying problems with them.

As far as your current predicament, normally I'd go into the oven with it at the lowest possible heat, but not for 3D prints... Not sure what you can do about it other than wait (sometimes I've had paint take weeks to fully dry, if the environment isn't optimal)

Side note, even when the paint is dry it will often still clog sandpaper like that - you're going to go through a lot of sandpaper.

I have been using both the Rustoleum FIller Primer as well as the Duplicolor Filler Primer. Both are quick drying, but I have to admit the Duplicolor is slightly better and dries slightly quicker. However, the Rustoleum is cheaper...so...

TazMan2000

yeah but honestly is a huge pain try to sand in these conditions, guess the only thing that i can do is wait until dries....

About the primer, well i was thinking something better maybe, i used to work with trucks (paint) and we used Axalta paints, but that paint is professional paint and expensive, so im looking something between cheap and expensive but not spray cans, too much spays cans to the trash..

I’m a painter by trade, and valspar makes a bonding primer that sticks to EVERYTHING. And it dries in an hour or less in normal temp/humidity. You could apply it with a high density foam roller to keep a flat-as-possible finish (but one you sand and topcoat it with spray it’ll be fine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me personally, I cant stand Rustoleum!! I hate it as much as possible. Never works as advertised and has ruined more than one project. Krylon works better for me but understand others have had opposite reaction. If you have had high humidity in your area, or lots of rain, not a good time to paint. I live in the SE of North Carolina. Its always humid. At timers I have kept both paint and project indoors in AC; rush outside or garage to paint and then bring it all back inside. Works sometimes. :)
As far as primer goes, I will always use Duplicolor filler primer from an auto parts store. It has never given me an issue, even on bad weather days. My .02 cents.

If you have the money check out Tamiya primer. Its expensive but very smooth. But may not be practical for a large prop.

Attachments

• tamr8764.jpg
    tamr8764.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 178
im checking that, its enamel or acrylic ?

- - - Updated - - -

yes i guess is because of that, this week the weather is really bad.... a lot of rain...i tried duplicolor, i got this like 1st option, but i need a gallon.. spray can is not enough for me, if i cant find a second option ill try to find a gallon of duplicolor..

- - - Updated - - -

Is good, but like u said my projects are large.

For me personally, I cant stand Rustoleum!! I hate it as much as possible. Never works as advertised and has ruined more than one project. Krylon works better for me but understand others have had opposite reaction. If you have had high humidity in your area, or lots of rain, not a good time to paint. I live in the SE of North Carolina. Its always humid. At timers I have kept both paint and project indoors in AC; rush outside or garage to paint and then bring it all back inside. Works sometimes. :)
As far as primer goes, I will always use Duplicolor filler primer from an auto parts store. It has never given me an issue, even on bad weather days. My .02 cents.

I second all of this. I have had disappointing experiences with Rustoleum, and Dupli-color primers are my go-to. Just make sure you give them enough time to dry before painting on top of the primer, particularly in cooler temperatures.

Duplicolor auto filler primer is my go to here in Canada, never had a problem with them. For a final finish these days I'm really into "Army painter" primer, it's for miniatures but is an extremely fast drying primer with no "grit" to the finished product so it's awesome for a final coat.

20181005_121437.jpg

A little update, i decide to try some pro paint, and i bought a shopline 2k primer... .
it doenst work really well with the spraygun (i need a big nozzle) but after a while the paint starts to dry and thickens...

and it works really well to fill the spaces...20180925_165435.jpg

A 2k urethane activated primer, like what looks like you mentioned, is the very best option. You
Could still use spray can primer, just make sure it's stuff for body shops. They are usually always
A lacquer based product. So you can put many coats on, and it will dry faster. Even still
Humidity can mess with any paint, even the better stuff. So you need somewhere to spray
That's warm, with low humidity. Spray a test panel, or part, to see how the environment your in, will
React.
For the urethane activated primer, just pic up a cheap primer gun, with a big fluid tip. A 1.8,
Or 2.0 range will spray better. Having said that, that stuff will fill fast! But you can wetsand it
Wuth 600, to 800 grit, and it will leave a nice smooth surface.
You mentioned Axalta. They have a economic brand called nason, available in qt's. The 421-19 2k urathathe
Primer, is great stuff. Just follow the tech sheet. Let it set up enough between coats, and you'll have a killer
Surface, once sanded.

Last edited:
yeah is the best option, i just messed up with the price, almost $100 the gallon, also now i need a needle for my spray gun, and is like another $150 (a tekna)... but yes is the best option..
next time ill try the axalta one.

I use Tamiya Fine Primer. Goes on smooth and even, and feather coats dry very quickly. Check out my Hans Gruber's post on page 1. That was primed and painted with Tamiya sprays.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back