Trooperbay weathering question

badboibill

Hello RPF!

I'm hoping to attract some folks who may be familiar with weathering their Stormtrooper armor, blasters, sabers, and Star Wars props. Trooperbay sells something I think is really cool: their weathering kit that contains different samples of Earth and terrain. One of these samples is sand from the Buttercup Valley sand dunes, to replicate sand from scenes with Jabba on Tattooine. I'm looking to weather my vintage Graflex, and I'm wondering if anybody sells/offers sand samples from Tunisia. I know this is going to seem a bit goofy to some folks... but let's be honest: we've all done some goofy/questionable stuff in the quest to add realism and fun details to our props.

If anybody is looking for an opportunity to sell a vial of sand from your backyard in AZ, to some sucker on the RPF... now's your chance! But seriously, I'm aware that there's no way for me to verify the validity of something like sand (que the sand memes) so I'm hoping somebody who is going to Tunisia, or has been to Tunisia to visit the "homestead" set of "Tattooine" can provide me with a little sand. If anybody can provide some knowledge/tips on this endeavor, thank you in advance for your time and effort in responding to this post.

*Note*
This is my first "thread" on the RPF... I usually just comment on other people's threads. If I'm doing this wrong, please delete this post and/or request me to delete, and I will do so immediately. Thanks!

In 2008 I visited Tunisia and some of the movie sets there. I brought back a few rocks from there and desert roses, but my bag with sand was lost somewhere. I received a small vial from a friend who was there a month after.

IMG_0330.JPG IMG_0339.JPG Tunisia desert rose.jpg Tunisian SW rock & desert rose.jpg Tunisia desert crystal 01.jpg GG statue Sandtrooper & Dewback 26.jpg

Any chance you’d be willing to part with a (smallerish) rock I could sand down?

The thing is most of the rocks I gave already, at least 4-5 went to RPF members. I only have 2 different ones left in my collection as you can see in the display. I'll have to check my girlfriends house, she might have one left.

Thanks for checking, and let me know what you find out! I can’t stress enough how much of a small pebble I would need, as I intend to just grind it down to sand anyways... that said, if you’d like to hold on to your last few rocks, don’t feel obligated to send one my way. I know how special they are and you’ve already been generous in parting with some of them. If you do find one to part with, I’ll (of course) compensate you for it. Thanks for your time!

My girlfriend allowed me to take a bit of her large desert rose, see in the first pic - her desert rose is twice as big as my own from post above. They have the tendency to crack like glass, so it already had a small part that came apart. If it is ok with you just let me know your address by PM.

IMG_3378.JPG IMG_3376.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back