Vintage Kenner Millennium Falcon

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All
Working on cleaning up my vintage Falcon that had been stored for a long time. Disassembled and scrubbed it clean. Sprayed it down with Clorox cleanup to get the yellow out and I think it's looking good. What do you think? I removed the remaining stickers and will put them back on. IMG_20180922_181440.jpg

IMG_20180922_181440.jpg

The handful I've seen were yellowed (ranging from mildly yellowed to hideously yellowed), so that one looks as close to like new that I've ever seen :)

I always thought once they yellowed you could reverse the process. Does bleaching it really work?

I've seen people use the high-strength hydrogen peroxide the kind you can get at the Cosmetic or hair supply store. You have to spread it all over it and then let it sit in the Sun but this is the first time doing anything like this for me so I just decided to give it a shot with the Clorox Clean-Up and it seems to have gotten it pretty clean it's still a little tinge of yellow in it but it's a lot better than what it was. Let's just say it work for me I don't know if it's going to work in all situations. I definitely would not go using full strength bleach on it as it could maybe. melt the plastic but I'm not sure.

I've seen people use the high-strength hydrogen peroxide the kind you can get at the Cosmetic or hair supply store. You have to spread it all over it and then let it sit in the Sun but this is the first time doing anything like this for me so I just decided to give it a shot with the Clorox Clean-Up and it seems to have gotten it pretty clean it's still a little tinge of yellow in it but it's a lot better than what it was. Let's just say it work for me I don't know if it's going to work in all situations. I definitely would not go using full strength bleach on it as it could maybe. melt the plastic but I'm not sure.

The retrobrite approach is what some people use (basically H2O2 and sunlight in a sealed, air-tight container).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYbchvSUDY

Although, I just saw that video recently where a comparison was done with differing techniques. I didn't realize heat could play such a significant factor. I haven't had much success with H2O2 myself, so I'll have to see if heat actually makes a difference next time I need to de-yellow something.

Adventures in Retrobrite - New techniques for restoring yellowed plastic.png

Not bad. I wouldn't have thought to use Clorox. I would have ended up making some Retro Bright and use that instead (the Kenner Ecto-1 from The Real Ghostbusters I have in my collection was purchased for about $5 at MegaCon because it was yellowed with some spots appearing white. The white spots were due to the fact that I had one of the ones later produced that came with pink slime stickers as a means of tie-in for the Ghostbusters 2 film release. After mixing up some Retro Bright and doing about four/five-run throughs out in direct sunlight, it took the yellow away and made it match the white spots as it had once been).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back