Space Tug (circa 1970)

There’s one painting of the tug which is frustrating me. It’s of it sitting on the lunar surface, with that wonderful slit window lit up red. Maybe in one of the McCall art books.

Maybe this (not sitting on the moon):

Space Tug Art (McCall?).jpg

Looks like a nuclear ship in the distance....

I like the big numbers on everything, also some of the panel lines/detail. I'll definitely include these.

Looking good so far. As much as you wanna put greeblies at the bottom of the vehicule, as much I would refrain to over do it (my two cents). As you can see by those drawings, most of the machinery and "stuff" is fairly enclosed into access panels (yes,I know, lots of panel scribing you'll have to make for that model). As for your little plastic pipes, a hot hairdryer will do also and it's easier to control the bend of the pipe. Try to imagine the greeblies serving some kind of purpose. If I put this box there, and a pipe going to that box, where the pipe is going to go from there? You could drill a hole into your floor and bend your pipe in there, or stopping your pipe at another panel/box. The variations are endless.
Eager to see your next update:)

Agreed — keeping the greeblies to a minimum. The pervious photo was me just setting pieces around to get a sense of how busy it would look. Definitely going to add some pipes though....

Cut some rectangular pieces of acrylic to act as supporting walls/partitions:

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

The wide area closest in the last photo is the main cabin area. I like to imagine the other pie sections contain the fuel bottle, oxygen tanks, fuel cells, etc.

I'm thinking I may leave an open access panel or two on the back side of the space tug. It's a good excuse to show those imagined fuel/oxygen tanks — and an excuse to add greeblies.

IMG_1022.jpg

I'll probably only leave open/exposed the lower third or so of the above compartment.

This will be difficult to paint when mostly closed up, do people paint things like this in advance? I may at the least primer it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remembered I don't know how to paint. Too much primer and it started to pool up and begin to run.... Good thing this is an area that will be barely visible, Still time to learn to paint!

IMG_1025.jpg

In any event, you can see the tanks and plumbing in the two sections above. Only a small pair access hatches will reveal them in the rear of the space tug.

Here I quickly tried it out with a piece of paper with cutouts wrapped around the space tug:

IMG_1024.jpg

Moving around front to detail the cockpit next....

No...the shot I'm thinking had some astronauts in the foreground, and was very shadowy, with some rockiness in the background. But, yeah. Same red lighting and in the "pads down" configuration.

I haven't thought about this design (although occasionally seeing it in illustrations) in about 40 years. I was obsessed with this as a kid.
You've got me hugely nostalgic about building one of my own, now. Your build is looking great!

As I begin the cockpit detail, started with a door that leads to the airlock & access tunnel in the center of the tug.

Designed the door on the computer, printed the parts out, cut them from styrene:

IMG_1032.jpg

Cut and filed them as best I could. Glued the parts together and added some greeblies — completed door.

IMG_1033.jpg

And so glued it in place within the cockpit:

IMG_1034.jpg

Started painting the cockpit — realize I have no idea how to paint.... Oh well, learning.

Meanwhile, at about the same time a couple of parts from Shapeways showed up while the final laser-cut parts from Sculpteo also arrived.
I hit the 3D printed Shapeways parts with primer (these were "RCS" units someone designed as replacements for a plastic Apollo space model kit). They look a little large for my space tug's scale — but close enough.

IMG_1048.jpg

I had to bevel the edges of the laser-cut window parts so that they abut against one another more cleanly, Taping together the laser-cut window parts and putting them in place just to see how it will all fit together.

IMG_1054.jpg

First though, I need to finish painting the cockpit before I can seal it off (build it over).

Fantastic work so far

Experimenting with the placement of two red LEDs. Not sure how to make the acrylic/styrene opaque enough to not "glow"....

Not sure if it helps, but to light block things I have used aluminum/silver foil tape ( the kind you would use on heating ducts)

Sticks great and blocks all light.

I place it on the inside and cut out parts for light to pass through or pock holes in it etc...

another option is prime black, paint a metallic color, then paint the base coat color

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back