Tyrannosaurus - 3D Print Collection

tarnyloo73

Finally getting version 2 of the Tyrannosaurus skull on Shapeways. If you've been following the W.I.P. thread you'll be aware it's part of a larger collection of models. Initially only the skull and foot are ready. This weekend I'm preparing the neck/skull and dual-detail versions which I hope to roll out over the next few days.

I've probably held on to this far too long but I really wanted to have actual photos (not 3D renders) before I put this out on Shapeways. As always Russell at Mushroom Imaging did an excellent job getting some good angles and capturing fine details.

Had an busy evening yesterday sizing the 7 scale versions for the skull and foot. There's sometimes a bit of tweaking required to get the smaller scales past Shapeways checks.

Shapeways links here-
Tyrannosaurus skull on Shapeways (version 2)
Tyrannosaurus foot on Shapeways

Examples shown in photos are 1:20 scale, brush painted with artist's acrylic paint and lightly coated with a compatible gloss varnish for protection. Display stands are perspex and 2mm piano wire.

skull_rex_deviant_01a_by_strick67-dcnfhgm.jpg

foot_rex_deviant_01a_by_strick67-dcnfjvu.jpg

skull_rex_deviant_04a_by_strick67-dcnfjlq.jpg

claws_of_the_king____t_rex_foot_by_strick67-dcnfka2.jpg

skull_rex_deviant_02b_by_strick67-dcnfj2o.jpg

foot_rex_deviant_02a_by_strick67-dcnfkjq.jpg

skull_rex_deviant_02a_by_strick67-dcnfitu.jpg

foot_rex_deviant_03a_by_strick67-dcnfl1d.jpg

skull_rex_deviant_03a_by_strick67-dcnfj9p.jpg

More stuff coming soon.

Your work is beautiful. Just to throw a geeky commercial spanner in the works… Have you ever considered doing skulls and skeletons of fictional creatures? The world badly needs an affordable current Godzilla skeleton! (The garage kits of a few years ago are now few and far between.)

2CEA06FD-5F75-4E2F-BB1E-04965ED8A047.gifBF82F5B5-D2B8-439D-81A8-089C46CDE69A.jpeg

Your work is beautiful.
Thanks.

Just to throw a geeky commercial spanner in the works… Have you ever considered doing skulls and skeletons of fictional creatures? The world badly needs an affordable current Godzilla skeleton! (The garage kits of a few years ago are now few and far between.)
Hmm, never knew you could even get a Godzilla skeleton. For myself I'm more drawn to factual creatures but it's an interesting idea. The examples you attached are quite human-like especially around the rib-cage and pelvis. That makes sense I suppose - hey, it's a guy in a suit. If I had a go at something like this I'd be more inclined to give him (her?) a more reptile like bone structure.

Third model from the collection now on Shapeways.
Managed to get the 3D print files and photos sorted today.

T. rex - skull & neck on Shapeways

Exactly the same feature set as the skull but this one includes the first 9 cervical vertebrae of the spine.
That just leaves the 2 dual-detail rex models to complete the set. I'll start working on those tomorrow and hope to have them ready by the weekend.

neckskull_rex_deviant_01a_by_strick67-dcnr7l1.jpg

scale_model_tyrannosaurus_rex___skull_and_neck_by_strick67-dcnr7tu.jpg

neckskull_rex_deviant_02a_by_strick67-dcnr8f7.jpg

neckskull_rex_deviant_04b_by_strick67-dcnr9zg.jpg

neckskull_rex_deviant_01b_by_strick67-dcnr8vb.jpg

neckskull_rex_deviant_04a_by_strick67-dcnr9bb.jpg

Last edited:
Can you give some examples in inches? Like how long would a 1/10 version be versus a 1/32 scale one?

Can you give some examples in inches? Like how long would a 1/10 version be versus a 1/32 scale one?

Some measurements in inches

Skull only - model length
1:10 = 5.9in
1:32 = 1.85in

Skull and neck - model length
1:10 = 9.44in
1:32 = 2.95in

I made this size guide for the skull models but the scale bar is metric (sorry if that's unhelpful).

rex_scale_guide_by_strick67-dci6uzy.jpg

OK then, here's the final model for the Tyrannosaurus collection, I'm calling this one the Dual-Detail Rex Head (at least until I think of a better name :D).

dual_rex_head_01a_by_strick67-dco2exc.jpg

If you saw the final posts of my W.I.P thread you'll be aware it comes in lipped and non-lipped versions to reflect the current scientific debate about the subject. This is a 3 piece model and assembly with a suitable glue is recommended this time. Initially only 2 scales for this version- 1:20 and 1:16. Sometimes I get requests for other scales for the skulls so this may change.

Shapeways link - lipped rex
Shapeways link - non-lipped rex

A few more photos of the lipped version (we call her Scarface).

hh_flesh_rex_photo_71a_by_strick67-dco2fh0.jpg

hh_bone_rex_photo_66b_by_strick67-dco2f7v.jpg

hh_flesh_rex_photo_80a_by_strick67-dco2gke.jpg

hh_bone_rex_photo_17a_by_strick67-dco2fud.jpg

hh_flesh_rex_photo_71b_by_strick67-dco2g3f.jpg

hh_bone_rex_photo_19b_by_strick67-dco2grh.jpg

hh_flesh_rex_photo_80b_by_strick67-dco2h53.jpg

hh_bone_rex_photo_17b_by_strick67-dco2gai.jpg

It feels like I've been chipping away at this thing forever and I've just filled over a week prepping models, photos and the like but I think I'm finally putting rexy to bed (mostly).

I say mostly because of course nothing's ever really finished. There's always something to add or tinker with so I may re-visit this thread with an occasional update. Also I haven't printed myself a non-lipped model yet so there'll be more photos if/when I get round to it, I fancy a croc-like olive green with rust-coloured eye horns for that version.

It's good to get the work out there at last, hopefully I'll make a few sales on this but we'll see. I'm sure I'll be back here with a new project at some point.

Last edited:
Had a couple of requests to make the T. rex skull available in bronze and silver. Shapeways metal materials are crazy expensive but I suppose that should be expected. Don't know if anyone can afford this but here it is at 1:20 and 1:16.

Shapeways link here

If the Celts were ever into dinosaur art, maybe one day something like this will turn up in a field in Norfolk!

bronze_rex_deviantart_01_by_strick67-dcoftu7.jpg

bronze_rex_deviantart_02_by_strick67-dcofun4.jpg

bronze_rex_deviantart_03_by_strick67-dcofuut.jpg

bronze_rex_deviantart_04_by_strick67-dcofv4j.jpg

bronze_rex_deviantart_05_by_strick67-dcofvli.jpg

Such nice pieces. I really like that half and half bust.
I love the Dual-Detail Rex head! Really nice work!
Oh these are absolutely lovely!

Thanks guys, the skull & neck model is the one I'm most happy with personally, I've sold a couple too at the 1:24 scale.

But yeah, from the comments I've had here and elsewhere, the Dual-Detail seems to be the most liked from the collection and I've been requested to produce more dinosaurs in this style. Won't be for a while though, going to see if this one sells a few first. Also I want a break from bones so I'm going to have a go at some life restorations next.

Wow, finally a t-rex head that isn't used for showering :) I've seen too many of those 3d printed lately. Is that texture because of the varnish? It really stands out.

Wow, finally a t-rex head that isn't used for showering :)
Showering? is that an actual product? Sounds like it could be some kind of innuendo I don't understand :eek

Is that texture because of the varnish? It really stands out.
Shapeways' flexible material has a naturally grainy texture which I think looks a lot like bone in combination with a paint job. The acrylic gloss varnish was originally just to protect the paintwork but it does make the texture and details really pop. Bonus!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back