cold cast metal- dusting the mould?

mark84

Hi,
I've been making a few cold cast "metal" resin items, but I'm having an issue- I always thought the best way to achieve a great finish and make it easier to polish up was to dust the mould(brass powder), however no matter how careful I am, how slow or fast I pour the resin into the silicoln mould I end up with around a 50% failure rate where I get a small patch, or two where the metal powder has been washed away by the resin.

I read on smooth ons site they put a layer of mould release over it to hold it in place, but that didn't work for me, it seems a strange idea away! I just wonder if anyone has any advice for me as it's very disappointing to keep throwing expensive bits of resin away! Maybe the powdering the silicon mould technique just isn't any good for reliably casting?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark.

Check Punished Props tutorials on YouTube. I'm sure they covered this.
Is there a spot in the mould that will eventually be covered up? If you pour there then it wouldn't matter if the power got washed away

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Hi,
I've been making a few cold cast "metal" resin items, but I'm having an issue- I always thought the best way to achieve a great finish and make it easier to polish up was to dust the mould(brass powder), however no matter how careful I am, how slow or fast I pour the resin into the silicoln mould I end up with around a 50% failure rate where I get a small patch, or two where the metal powder has been washed away by the resin.

I read on smooth ons site they put a layer of mould release over it to hold it in place, but that didn't work for me, it seems a strange idea away! I just wonder if anyone has any advice for me as it's very disappointing to keep throwing expensive bits of resin away! Maybe the powdering the silicon mould technique just isn't any good for reliably casting?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mark.

how old is the mold and what are you using to mold with?
Are you shaking off all of the excess? Its meant to just be a dusting. After putting in the mold, are u shaking off all that dosent stick? There should only be a light layer in the mold. And i assume you are also mixing it in the resin too? The only reasons this would happen is you put way too much in the mold and didnt shake the rest off, you used too much release or didnt let it dry or your mold is too fresh and seeping . It works way better on a mold thats had some time to cure.

As mentioned above, one can mix a sufficient amount of metal powder into the resin itself. After casting, the high points of the casting's surface can be polished to a metallic shine.

thanks for the replies gentlemen, I think I perhaps was relying a bit too much of the dusting of metal powder- in some youtube videos I see a heavier coating with it, like them I'd pour the powder in and tap it out, but others I see them using a paintbrush loaded with powder which is swirled around and gives a much lighter amount, I think i'll have to do the second option.
Cheers, Mark.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back