Issues Sewing with Puffy Paint

Squiddy

Hi everyone, I'm trying to sew a Spider-Man suit that I puffy painted. The body is going smoothly, but I'm running into trouble on the head. I'm using pieces from a pattern like this one.

Pattern Assembly.jpg

When I put the pieces of the head together, the fabric doesn't want to lay flat. It puckers (I think that's the right term) at the seams and looks kind of angular and really funky. I feel like maybe the puffy paint made the fabric too stiff to get that form-fitting look. Is there a way to fix this or to work around it? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Hand Sewing may be an alternative. if it seems to be sticking together when your running it through the sewing machine try wiping down both pieces (only the puff painted parts) with Armor All Car wipes. This will reduce the stickiness for some time when sewing.

It sounds like, yes, the issue is the puffy paint. Did you paint it all the way the end of the fabric?

For future projects, I would draw out your seam allowance, and stop the puffy paint a little before that allowance. Sew the costume together, and then finish painting.

Anyway you can scrape off the paint in the seam allowance? The Armor All mentionned above idea can work. You can also try baby oil.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back