'V2 Builder's Kit' OB1 stunt build

andyroo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, so I got my new sabers through from Anakin Starkiller's latest 'builders kit' run and I'm well impressed. I'm so impressed that I unboxed one of them and ran in to the garage to have at it with my OB1 Kenobi stunt build/homage.

Now it seems there's probably at least two stunt OB1 sabers made for for ANH, so this is going to be a mild amalgamation of them all but basically this is what I'm aiming for:

image (2).jpg

Now to me, it looks like the main body (grenade / booster / emitter sections) are all black but i'm sure I've seen some pics where there are sabers with a bronze tone and gun metal tone to the neck and emitter - so that's the look I'm aiming for.

So this is where we are so far (i'm experimenting with rattle can colours). I rattle canned it all black, now i'm fine tuning the neck upwards til i'm happy.

I found a can of a metallic graphite enamel in the garage and at first glance it in the dim light of the garage it looked ok:

IMG_20180918_124556.jpg

But when you get it under some light, it goes really silvery which isn't what I am aiming for:

IMG_20180917_184650_1.jpg

So I reckon I'll be nipping down to Hobbycraft tomorrow to get some more rattle cans.

More to follow... :)

OK, so I got my new sabers through from Anakin Starkiller's latest 'builders kit' run and I'm well impressed. I'm so impressed that I unboxed one of them and ran in to the garage to have at it with my OB1 Kenobi stunt build/homage.

Now it seems there's probably at least two stunt OB1 sabers made for for ANH, so this is going to be a mild amalgamation of them all but basically this is what I'm aiming for:

View attachment 843506

Now to me, it looks like the main body (grenade / booster / emitter sections) are all black but i'm sure I've seen some pics where there are sabers with a bronze tone and gun metal tone to the neck and emitter - so that's the look I'm aiming for.

So this is where we are so far (i'm experimenting with rattle can colours). I rattle canned it all black, now i'm fine tuning the neck upwards til i'm happy.

I found a can of a metallic graphite enamel in the garage and at first glance it in the dim light of the garage it looked ok:

View attachment 843511

But when you get it under some light, it goes really silvery which isn't what I am aiming for:

View attachment 843512

So I reckon I'll be nipping down to Hobbycraft tomorrow to get some more rattle cans.

Using a bit of deductive reasoning. I'd guess that the emitter was some sort of greyish silver. Since the balance pipe wouldn't have been black.

Yes I agree with this. There's a lack of decent pictures available so I'm going to have to use some artistic licence.

I agree that the stunt wasn’t black, but don’t agree that the original wouldn’t have been black, at least in part. It was certainly banded to some extent. I’ve seen plenty that were extremely dark and we have cantina and Death Star screen caps that show a dark areas on the emitter.

Attachments

• C1DDD828-6E9F-461F-BFB4-A2A33D205CCC.jpeg
    C1DDD828-6E9F-461F-BFB4-A2A33D205CCC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
I agree that the stunt wasn’t black, but don’t agree that the original wouldn’t have been black, at least in part. It was certainly banded to some extent. I’ve seen plenty that were extremely dark and we have cantina and Death Star screen caps that show a dark areas on the emitter.

I'm drooling over your photo!

& I'm definitely making the Obi stunt. I'll be following this thread with great interest :love

View attachment 843506

View attachment 843511

View attachment 843512

I like the gunmetal color you ended up with!

OK, so I managed to get into the garage for a couple of hours and played around with some paint. I also got a little toggle switch too to go where the V2 knob goes.

First thing I did was drill a hole where the mystery chunk is so I could have some wire coming out like the stunt saber:

IMG_20180919_143340.jpg

Here's the little switch from eBay that was a couple of quid. I had a red end cap from a pegboard hook hanging around so I drilled a hole where the V2 switch would be:

IMG_20180919_143353.jpg

IMG_20180919_144711.jpg

It's perfect in diameter for the hole but the switch body is too big and interferes with the pommel, so I had to dismantle the switch and do some minor surgery on the pommel to get it all to fit together nicely:

IMG_20180919_155052.jpg

I've finished with it for today so here's where we're up to:

IMG_20180919_155356.jpg

IMG_20180919_155437.jpg

IMG_20180919_155816.jpg

So just need to put the emitter nipple on, grub screw it all together and pick up a clamp from somewhere - the clamp will have to wait until next payday though.

Here's the best picture of the stunt saber I've ever come across

View attachment 843639
Cheers.

I think that one's different to the one I posted up top - that looks to have gaffer tape holding the pommel to the booster whereas the one I've posted looks to be more solid - all metal. It also looks like there's no clamp on that one either.

banded you say? I did this, and I am always open to altering it :)

The hero, not the stunt!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so I managed to get into the garage for a couple of hours and played around with some paint. I also got a little toggle switch too to go where the V2 knob goes.

First thing I did was drill a hole where the mystery chunk is so I could have some wire coming out like the stunt saber:

View attachment 843630

Here's the little switch from eBay that was a couple of quid. I had a red end cap from a pegboard hook hanging around so I drilled a hole where the V2 switch would be:

View attachment 843633

View attachment 843634

It's perfect in diameter for the hole but the switch body is too big and interferes with the pommel, so I had to dismantle the switch and do some minor surgery on the pommel to get it all to fit together nicely:

View attachment 843635

I've finished with it for today so here's where we're up to:

View attachment 843636

View attachment 843637

View attachment 843638

So just need to put the emitter nipple on, grub screw it all together and pick up a clamp from somewhere - the clamp will have to wait until next payday though.

Awesome job! I still need to make one of these someday.

Well that image you're going off of is the V2 stunt also used for Luke in ROTJ. Considering it has black paint all over the emitter that's chipping off tells me it was all black as the photo shows. The new photage with Hamill also shows some brass coloring mid neck.

I will say I like this build. Everyone does the v2 Luke style. I want to see it obi wan style!

Yeah the paint scheme's a tough one. I agree that it was probably all black (excluding the neck) going off the V2 but for display purposes / aesthetics I think it suits a different coloured emitter. Dunno...

I think I may need to reorient the pommel too as looking at the pic in my original post, the wire looks to come from the left side of the switch rather than the right.

Yeah the paint scheme's a tough one. I agree that it was probably all black (excluding the neck) going off the V2 but for display purposes / aesthetics I think it suits a different coloured emitter. Dunno...
For something like this I tend to agree. If you aren't going for screen accuracy, go for aesthetics. Gotta remember, it was done that way for ANH because it was quick and good enough for what they needed, which was on film and for stunts, not close-ups. Or even decent medium shots, really

I found out during my ANH era build that the upper neck is probably split color. the emitter (as dan has made seperately) is one color and the body and lower half of the upper neck is another. I picked this up from that "best" shot we have of alec holding it

Couple of minor tweaks made today. I've re-orientated the pommel so the wire is on the left hand side of the switch slightly. I've done some minor weathering to the emitter nipple with some aluminium black and I've grub screwed it all together. Just need a clamp and bubble strip and I'll call this one done.

IMG_20180920_122809.jpg

Here it is with it's bro's. (Need a correct bubble strip for the OB1 Hero)

IMG_20180920_122754.jpg

The whole gang:

IMG_20180920_122803.jpg

I need to make some more stands!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back