Solo deleted scene flight helmet reference

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As soon as I saw this particular scene on the E! site, I loved that helmet. As I said elsewhere, it is semi-canon support for something I've maintained for ages -- that Stormtrooper pilots have Stormtrooper faceplates, but just as Imperial Starfleet infantry have their own armor and helmets, so do Imperial Starfleet pilots. I'd gone with something like the prototype Rebel helmets for some time now -- detachable breathing mask, smoke visor that is long enough to connect with it, but in black and with appropriately Imperial markings...

40810019552_eb627f741e_c.jpg

And I'll probably still have this as an earlier Republic/Imperial flight helmet, merging it with the final Rebel design -- double visors, optional air mask... *shrug* Makes sense to me, really. Might even be able to work in a third layer -- the blast shield.

But now I've got something new to sink my teeth into. I'm going to see what I can scrounge locally to at least approximate the size and shape of the main helmet shell and forehead visor shield, scratchbuild the mohawk and other detailing, source or scratch the earcaps, and 3D print and alter where appropriate a Death Trooper lower faceplate for the air mask. Freeze-framing through, I got some nice general proportion references...

helmet 01.png
helmet 02.png
helmet 03.png

Looks like a stock Rogue One Imperial Ground Crew chest-back armor setup, with different deco.

A couple over-the-shoulder shots. One gives a decent view of the relationships of structures to each other. The other has an offscreen panel blowout highlight everything nicely...

helmet 04.png
helmet 05.png

Yes, the air hose(s?) come off the backs of the earcaps, as a rearward extention of the cheek tubes, and apparently hook into the pilot's seat. Note also the ear greeblie. That "cone" piece is reminiscent of the one that was on the Don Post Classic Action TIE Fighter Pilot helmet, which is a nice nod, but I've never known why it was on there. It's not on any screen-used helmet I've ever seen, nor in any onscreen shot of a TIE Fighter pilot. They all either have the Michell pulleys or the bit of glue residue where the Michell pulleys used to be. And, FWIW, all those Michell pulleys have the notch, unlike what they did for the new TIE pilot helmets in Rogue One and Battlefront 2.

Lastly for right now, a few from the final zoom-in right before Han crashes. Nice straight-on shot, helpfully highlighted by another off-camera panel blowout. These in particular I'm going to print out on matte photo stock and start scaling measurements. Remember, y'all the average pupillary distance of an adult male is 64mm...

helmet 06.png
helmet 07.png
helmet 08.png

I didn't know who might already be working on one of these, but I wanted to share this to give any other potentially interested parties some decent starting reference. Have at, people! :D

I like your theory on Stormtrooper helmets vs Other Imperial pilots.

Cool reference work here!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hah. So it is. My own fault for not having looked as closely at those yet. That'll be much less work. Until I can get ahold of some reasonably accurate sources for the Patrol Trooper helmet dimensions, I'm going to presume faceplate width (cheek tube to cheek tube) is approximately that of the standard Stormtrooper. Between that and pupillary distance norms, I should have some prelim measurements up this afternoon.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back