Professor Trelawney Costume in Progress

Blancnoir

Hello, I'm new to the RPF but a friend to a longtime member who encouraged me to create a profile and post. I am working on a Professor Trelawney (Harry Potter) costume. I am going for realistic, but am allowing for "close" when exact isn't cost effective or readily feasible. Looking at photos online, I am finding there are some differences between movies, but am going for the headbanded/sweater-wearing version.

As of right now, I am collecting items to put together. I am waiting for a skirt to arrive that I can modify with bottom trim. I have purchased some knit scarves I believe I can use to make her over sweater. I have a blouse coming that I will modify, I'm thinking with a dickey to fit under the blouse. I have some boots I plan to cut to fit like her shoes. I'm interested in connecting with others who have been down this road. I am also going to make some jewelry, but I think that falls under props?

Right now I am working on the sweater/shawl part. I see a lot of costumes online where they just put on a shawl/scarf, but if you watch the video here, you'll see there is definitely a back to it. In this photo you can see there is either a collar or perhaps a large hood? Or maybe this is some sort of sleeve cuff. I haven't figured that out yet. I purchased three open weave brown scarves with fringe. I plan to lay two of them side by side and stitch or crochet them together half way up. This will make a shawl/jacket. I will then tack a bit under the arms for armholes. I will use the third scarf for whatever is going on for the collar/hood/attachment. . . as soon as I figure that out. Photos to follow once I get the pieces and sew them together.

Thanks for the links. The hardest part, I think, is getting close-ups on some of the details, like her jewelry. There are a few, of course. I find that many of them are different.

I'm continuing work on my costume. I am at the present dilemma of deciding whether I want the under shirt to be a snap-in dickie type thing, or a full shirt. The full shirt would be warmer and I live in the north. I don't go to cosplay events where I'd be inside and prefer less layers. Still. . . I keep waffling on which would be the better solution. I found a sweater with a good texture and color but it will need a little modification to work. Looking at the photos, I find the real thing is likely an under DRESS not a shirt and skirt. You can see a bit of the skirting material up at the top. I'm currently going with the skirt and shirt concept as I'd already purchased those and also think it will be fine for now.

I've also started on some jewelry. I'm not sure if that's considered part of the costume or a prop? I found a star charm close to the one on the costume and made a star necklace. Depending on which photo you look at, she has a lot of star jewelry. I found a merkaba star pendant that I took apart and made into one like hers. The tricky part with that is working with the fine chain. You have to spread the links to get the split rings through, and that has to be done delicately so as not to break the links. I also found a crystal skull bead and made a necklace from that. She is wearing one in some of the shots. One of the things you can do to help keep balance on all the jewelry lengths is to buy a multi-strand, pre-made necklace, then add the parts you want.

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5158.JPG

i think i you keep to the essence of the costume your be ok, prop departments in films often kit bash and cobble together items that dont actually exist in reality (pain for us i know) and if any one says"thats not the right one" just ignore them its your version of that character thats reproduced as faithfully as you can :)

For anyone trying to be as accurate as possible, I did find a maker on Etsy who is doing the evil eye pendants using a real prosthetic eye. They are pretty close to the one you see in the Trelawney photos, but kind of pricey. . . out of my price range for this costume. Maybe I will be able to add it later. http://tinyurl.com/yazxzzn4 (I don't know the person, am just sharing for other Trelawney fans.)

Greetings from Jackson, GA We are also working on a Prof. Sybill Trelawney cosplay build for Feb. 2020. Just found all the materials for her patch work skirt at: JOANN Fabric and Craft Stores – Shop online
Jewelry is as close as we could find, shoes are called a "Chelsea Boot" aka "Paddock Boot" but Sybill's look more like slippers, especially with the flat bottoms.
The biggest thing is Sybill's handbag.......We have searched all types of materials/patterns high and low with no success......but? there is a member here on RPF.Com (ATL Kenobi) that has pictures of the design and apparently? they made the hand bag by "latch hook". I have sent them several messages but it shows their last activity here as of Aug. 2019. I didn't see any completed pics of the hand bag so? I can't say for sure they ever finished it or? why they have been inactive.......I do hope they're both well and get a chance to answer my questions as well.
If you like? please stay in touch here if you'd like to share info.
Hyway

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back